Player Discussion Rasmus Andersson breakout

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Flames since the All-Star Break: Highs and Lows - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Credit to supermatt18 for this, but one think I’ve noticed about Andersson is his improvement on the stat sheet as of late. He’s looked a lot better on the eye test too, so I thought it would be interesting to share this. Overall, I wouldn’t be worried about him getting top 4 minutes next year. If he can improve his staking just a little bit, we may have something special with Andersson. Very exciting.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Calling it a breakout isn't fair, it's really just Ras getting more comfortable in this league. In two years Rasmus is gonna be putting up roughly Hanifin numbers and jaws are gonna drop.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I thought he struggled defensively while the entire team was struggling. It wasn't costing us, but it wasn't smooth.
The guy's a stud though. We forget this is the most amount of hokey some of these kids will have played in their entire career; now add on top it's the highest level of hockey in the world.

This kid's got top 4D in his veins. Nice feeling having him, Valimaki in this system that are top 4 locks; and Kylington who's a wildcard.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I like that he’s starting to look a lot more comfortable in the offensive zone, especially when he’s playing with Giordano. Earlier in the season he looked scared to do anything with the puck besides ring it around the boards.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gotta say.
Him and Fanta have been a really, really great pairing. They're about as perfect of a third pairing you can have. Outshooting, outchancing and outscoring competition in their short stint together. I feel both have looked real strong as a duo.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Gotta say.
Him and Fanta have been a really, really great pairing. They're about as perfect of a third pairing you can have. Outshooting, outchancing and outscoring competition in their short stint together. I feel both have looked real strong as a duo.
Agreed - I really like how Fanta has supported him and let him lead pucks up while also giving him an outlet option. They support each other well - so I'd definitely be comfortable having him and Fanta in the playoffs together. Not sure where that leaves Stone and Kylington/Vali though - but I'd rather have too many good D options than not enough.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed - I really like how Fanta has supported him and let him lead pucks up while also giving him an outlet option. They support each other well - so I'd definitely be comfortable having him and Fanta in the playoffs together. Not sure where that leaves Stone and Kylington/Vali though - but I'd rather have too many good D options than not enough.

It's pretty great to have the option that if an injury hits, we can sub in a guy who'd be top 6 on almost every team in Mike Stone, and Juuso Valimaki.

Rasmus has been great with Fanta, because I think Fanta is a perfect 6D. A guy that doesn't hurt you, plays a quiet smart game and the only time you notice him is on the offensive end with him pumping a shot on net or something.

Also that pairing lets Rasmus be a bit more free on the offensive end.

Reactions: Janks

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Fantenberg acquisition has been another master stroke by Treliving. I have been very impressed with his play. Steady, boring, and above all reliable. I wouldn't say he 'anchors' the 3 pairing with Andersson, but I think he is a steady, calming influence that allows Rasmus latitude in his game. More latitude than he would have had playing with either of the other rookies. I can also see Rasmus moving up to pair with Gio should Brodie continue his recent pattern of brain-farts and see Fantenberg paired with Stone or Prout.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The Fantenberg acquisition has been another master stroke by Treliving. I have been very impressed with his play. Steady, boring, and above all reliable. I wouldn't say he 'anchors' the 3 pairing with Andersson, but I think he is a steady, calming influence that allows Rasmus latitude in his game. More latitude than he would have had playing with either of the other rookies. I can also see Rasmus moving up to pair with Gio should Brodie continue his recent pattern of brain-farts and see Fantenberg paired with Stone or Prout.
Fantenberg is like a more steady version of Butler or Kulak. The real biggest knock on him is that he is very "vanilla" and "boring", but he takes less penalties. And I mean that in the most complimentary way, he just goes about his job, and you don't really notice him. But the few times you DO notice him, it's almost always in a good way. I also agree he allows Rasmus to play his game a bit more (step into the play, lead a rush, etc...), which is something he couldn't really do with Kyl because that is also a big part of Kyl's game which left Ras to be the stay at home part of that pair. I won't say that was his role with Vali because they were both still getting used to playing in the NHL at the time, so it made it hard to really judge whether it was really nerves/trying not to make mistakes, or if it was just how they played together.

Reactions: Mobiandi

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Alright guys in order to distract everyone from all the Tkachuk contract talk I thought we could spice things up with some (you guessed it) more contract talk!

What do you think the move with fat Ras is next offseason? Bridge him? If he improves to 25-30 points do you lock him up à la Hanifin? I think regardless of what happens with Brodie/Hamonic, Andersson is going to be the go to guy on the right side within 2-3 years

Speculate away

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think that if Andersson continues to progress like we saw last year, he will bump one of Brodie and Hamonic (or both) down the depth chart. The Flames will look to sign him long term with a Hanifin like contract.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames actually have a fair bit of cap space next season for what it's worth. Something like ~20M with Brodie, Hamonic, Andersson, Kylington, Jankowski, Czarnik, and Talbot as the key free agents.

If Andersson continues to improve, Treliving should be aggressive in trying to lock him down longterm. Something like the Josi or Klefbom contracts; i.e., seven or eight years at 4.0-4.5M per.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames actually have a fair bit of cap space next season for what it's worth. Something like ~20M with Brodie, Hamonic, Andersson, Kylington, Jankowski, Czarnik, and Talbot as the key free agents.

If Andersson continues to improve, Treliving should be aggressive in trying to lock him down longterm. Something like the Josi or Klefbom contracts; i.e., seven or eight years at 4.0-4.5M per.

Do that in a heartbeat.
Get Rasmus signed long term for a solid deal, bring back one of Hamonic or Brodie, whoever costs less and plays better this year.
Jankowski is replacement level, Czarnik is replacement level. Kylington still has another gear, I think, but won't cost much of anything.

Calgary's cap structure is actually really solid. One summer of a tiny bit of heartburn and we have fans thinking that we're in Maple Leafs territory.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I still keep reading the thread title and thinking this is going to be a discussion about acne...

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I like that he’s starting to look a lot more comfortable in the offensive zone, especially when he’s playing with Giordano. Earlier in the season he looked scared to do anything with the puck besides ring it around the boards.

I agree he looked much more skiddish but not overly nervous or lost. I think he was playing it very simple and safe, wisely, early on. He sure transmorphed gradually, steadily into a heck of a reliable, solid Dman in almost all areas, sometime after January, I recall. I M O he impressed me latter 1/2 of season in all areas on any given night,,even against top opposition, he showed no back off or intimidated factor.
He is ready for a much larger role, if he continues to just play to his abilities and strengths. I really believe his defensive hockey I Q grew leaps & bounds later season. Just ope he can continue to show that progress and awareness right at trainingcamp, and on into the season. We've got another good young Dman there, in RA! To add to Hanifin &Valimaki & maybe even Kylington.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi Flames nation,

Canucks fan coming in peace (although I actually cheer for all the Canadian franchises and am ultimately just a simple Hockey Fan overall)

That out of the way, I'm curious about Rasmus Andersson's development this year.

For some reason when I watched him last year & early this season he has so far reminded me of a young Alex Edler, where he skates exceptionally, passes very well but under-utilizes his shot & size.

However, I have not watched him enough this year to really get a good bead on him so I respectfully ask the Flames faithful how you all evaluate him at this point. If he follows Alex's trajectory, he'll really break out in full season #4, which would be great for you guys as I thought he already was looking pretty solid. Then again, it sure as hell doesn't hurt to be learning from a Norris winner every night to accelerate the development process.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hi Flames nation,

Canucks fan coming in peace (although I actually cheer for all the Canadian franchises and am ultimately just a simple Hockey Fan overall)

That out of the way, I'm curious about Rasmus Andersson's development this year.

For some reason when I watched him last year & early this season he has so far reminded me of a young Alex Edler, where he skates exceptionally, passes very well but under-utilizes his shot & size.

However, I have not watched him enough this year to really get a good bead on him so I respectfully ask the Flames faithful how you all evaluate him at this point. If he follows Alex's trajectory, he'll really break out in full season #4, which would be great for you guys as I thought he already was looking pretty solid. Then again, it sure as hell doesn't hurt to be learning from a Norris winner every night to accelerate the development process.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Edler is a good comparable for his upside actually. He moves really well for a guy his size, has a great first pass, holds the offensive blue line exceptionally well, and has a hard shot. Defensively he's still a little passive, especially on the cycle, but I think he's gotten more comfortable as the year has gone along. He doesn't face top competition often but I think he has shown really well in the NHL so far. He uses his size pretty effectively but doesn't often go for a big hit.

Personally would say he's been the Flames most consistent defender this year, though not necessarily the best.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad