News Article: Rasanen leaving for Khl

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I don't think you understand what mental health is, Mikeyg.
I think thats the problem.... i’m working with a clinical definition and you guys aren’t. Thats okay though, im not trying to save the world here, just shedding some light on what mental health constitutes.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Being a private person yourself could possibly indicate that there are underlying family issues that he might be keeping private that can be handled and he can develop at the same time????? I don't know for sure but it would be a reasonable reason to return home.

I like people with solid family ties actually and respect him leaving even more to be around family. I didn't know all the times he apparently indicated this.

Happy development is good development, good luck to him.
As stated, im using public information and personal education and making deductions based on that. Perfectly reasonable. If disputing evidence comes up, mindsets can always be amended.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bert I am simply making statements based on the information we have access to. There is no mention anywhere of actual debilitating issues. You cant say that the absence of evidence is evidence against a disputing claim. There is no need to make this more than it is. I have nothing but respect for mental health sufferers, and anyone in this thread who thought I was dismissing it is simply incorrect. My initial comment was simply calling him frankly a bit soft, it had nothing to do with mental illness. If there was anything ever posted on the public record that stated that he had even one symptom then I would retract my statement.

I also understand that the kid isn’t going to come out and say I have anxiety or anything to that nature. But you guys have to understand that when the guy keeps coming out for over a year saying he wants to go home and misses his family but continues to play hockey, it really is not at all likely that he is a mental health sufferer. You guys are making it seem like im saying he’s weak or jumping on him because hes a mental health sufferer. That is totally ridiculous and not my intent. My stance has always been that there isn’t public evidence saying that he has suffered from anything, but there is lots of evidence saying hes going home because he misses his family.

If im wrong and he has actually been depressed or shown any form of symptoms then I will retract my statement. Despite that, im just calling it for what it is, a kid wanting to go home, not a mental health patient scouring for help. Some kids can handle being away from their parents, some cant. I just don’t see him coming back and thats why I said what I said.

At the end of the day, the real issue is you're making statements and judgement in a situation where that isn't necessary.

Seems like all would benefit from a little patience and understanding, and let this situation develop away from the limelight.

Maybe he won't be cut out for the NHL. Maybe he needs some maturation and a supportive environment. We can afford to wait and see and not take a stance.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Bert I am simply making statements based on the information we have access to. There is no mention anywhere of actual debilitating issues. You cant say that the absence of evidence is evidence against a disputing claim. There is no need to make this more than it is. I have nothing but respect for mental health sufferers, and anyone in this thread who thought I was dismissing it is simply incorrect. My initial comment was simply calling him frankly a bit soft, it had nothing to do with mental illness. If there was anything ever posted on the public record that stated that he had even one symptom then I would retract my statement.

I also understand that the kid isn’t going to come out and say I have anxiety or anything to that nature. But you guys have to understand that when the guy keeps coming out for over a year saying he wants to go home and misses his family but continues to play hockey, it really is not at all likely that he is a mental health sufferer. You guys are making it seem like im saying he’s weak or jumping on him because hes a mental health sufferer. That is totally ridiculous and not my intent. My stance has always been that there isn’t public evidence saying that he has suffered from anything, but there is lots of evidence saying hes going home because he misses his family.

If im wrong and he has actually been depressed or shown any form of symptoms then I will retract my statement. Despite that, im just calling it for what it is, a kid wanting to go home, not a mental health patient scouring for help. Some kids can handle being away from their parents, some cant. I just don’t see him coming back and thats why I said what I said.

This whole mental health thing is being blown out of proportion.

Even if your 100% correct and he has no mental health issues what so ever your original post is still flawed.

Let us say for a second that he is just homesick, he misses his family and that is taking a toll on him. So the young man now has a chance to step into a more competitive league then the AHL, play with a Finnish coach who is known for developing young players, and on top of all that he gets to remedy his situation of missing his family. How can you say that he is soft for that? He simply chooses the best option given his current circumstances. As many have already stated (and you have conveniently ignored) AM34 took his mom with him to Switzerland and has his dad live with him in Toronto during the season on and off, does this make him a soft mommas boy as well? I would argue that no it does not, he is simply creating a comfortable environment for himself thus giving himself the best chance to succeed.

I have been watching and paying very close attention to the leafs and the NHL my entire life and I am sorry but i have never seen an instance where a player was labeled as a "mommas boy" leading him to be considered a for sure bust.

So you would rather the young man stay in NA and struggle with these issues all while being at the most pivotal point in his hockey career? You think forcing himself to soldier on and gut it out is the only way he can be successful? For somebody who has a background in mental health I find this very suspect.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good for the kid, to go back to where he is most comfortable at his age, and maximize his development. He was a bit of a long shot anyway, but hopefully he becomes as good as he can, and maybe one day he might get a chance with us, when he's ready.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I've always had high hopes for Rasanen. A big defensemen with a bit of a mean streak and from one of the better hockey communities. Out of the group of trees that Hunter drafted, he's the one I've followed with the most interest. He's obviously still 2+ years away from being in the picture for the Leafs, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out when he comes back to NA after playing in the KHL.

Sorry, he's definitely 100%, no doubt about it, coming back! Is that how I do it?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This is more than fair, and I agree let's just move on from this whole thing.

Seems like he's going to a good spot to develop in the KHL .. A kid with his size on defense is exactly what this organization needs right now, so hopefully he can become something.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'm sure we all hope he'll prosper in the KHL and be ready to be a minute munching d-man for us in 2 years or so.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If he builds his game and can come back in two years time to jump into a top 6 D he will be a welcome addition with his size and mean streak.

Reilly ?????
Dermott Liljegren
Rasanen ???????

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Laine's mom came and lived with him in Winnipeg. Must be a Finnish thing:)

Reactions: zeke

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nothing wrong with developing closer to home or family.

It isn't like the CHL is some wonderful, family oriented social club, its a business plain and simple.

Until it's the NHL I'm not overly concerned where children play hockey.

It isn't like he was going to play for the Leafs as a 20 year old anyway.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Laine's mom came and lived with him in Winnipeg. Must be a Finnish thing:)

It's a North/Eastern Europe thing in general. It's normal to see people live at home until they get their first real career job or get married. North America moves a lot faster in that regard.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
This is actually awesome. While he plays against men overseas we maintain control. As opposed to burning 2-3 years of an elc as he goes through the marlies, when (if) he comes back we will have a more refined more nhl ready player that we STILL get to sign to an entry level deal. Furthermore, he gets to train and play harder minutes without taking a contract spot up. Don't kid yourselves leafers or go overboard on hot takes... this is actually excellent.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
This is actually awesome. While he plays against men overseas we maintain control. As opposed to burning 2-3 years of an elc as he goes through the marlies, when (if) he comes back we will have a more refined more nhl ready player that we STILL get to sign to an entry level deal. Furthermore, he gets to train and play harder minutes without taking a contract spot up. Don't kid yourselves leafers or go overboard on hot takes... this is actually excellent.
Have to agree. I just hope the Leafs helped him find a team in the KHL that will actually give him decent minutes to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad