News Article: Rasanen leaving for Khl

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah he's still a baby in a tough league, as long as he's improving and getting some playing time I can't be unhappy with his development

he is in Finland, with a team full of fins (3rd best team last season)?,, IMO, great learning and growth environment , plus he is making a bit of bank.

plus,,,plus we gain a contract slot.

i see nothing but wins here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeah, I heard he was the only player on the team who's under 24, and he's 19. so it is impressive he's even playing at all. he might still be a real asset for us, which would be nice

I'm hoping one of these big boys we've drafted might work out, it's down to him and Gordeev now

He's set himself a tough challenge, the KHL is a tough league and kids don't seem to play much but if he's able to get some playing time it would be a feather in his cap at 19 years old

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm hoping one of these big boys we've drafted might work out, it's down to him and Gordeev now

He's set himself a tough challenge, the KHL is a tough league and kids don't seem to play much but if he's able to get some playing time it would be a feather in his cap at 19 years old
seeing him play at the world juniors should also be good, as he should make team Finland.

Reactions: Kiwi

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One comment that Babcock made a while ago stuck with me. He likes guys playing in leagues and dominating because they get the puck more and get to make plays. How much will Rasanen get to do these things with 7-8 minutes in the KHL? Not knocking the KHL, if he was getting even 12-16 minutes a game, that's good for this league.

It would be better if we could get him 20+ minutes somewhere else though. He has a cannon of a shot but if he could skate with the puck more, work on his break out pass, play both special teams etc, it'll go a long way towards helping him. He could be okay for the 7-8 minutes in the KHL but I just wonder how much he truly grows with that kind of ice time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
One comment that Babcock made a while ago stuck with me. He likes guys playing in leagues and dominating because they get the puck more and get to make plays. How much will Rasanen get to do these things with 7-8 minutes in the KHL? Not knocking the KHL, if he was getting even 12-16 minutes a game, that's good for this league.

It would be better if we could get him 20+ minutes somewhere else though. He has a cannon of a shot but if he could skate with the puck more, work on his break out pass, play both special teams etc, it'll go a long way towards helping him. He could be okay for the 7-8 minutes in the KHL but I just wonder how much he truly grows with that kind of ice time.
yeah but he also probably doesn't gain much from beating up on 17 year olds in the OHL. at least playing against men in a higher caliber league should test him in other ways

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

let it go already dude, your beating this to death, our 2nd round pick in this years draft is older than him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
yeah but he also probably doesn't gain much from beating up on 17 year olds in the OHL. at least playing against men in a higher caliber league should test him in other ways

I think he physically can dominate out there for sure, statistically he didn't really light up though. He put up less points.

let it go already dude, your beating this to death, our 2nd round pick in this years draft is older than him.

Let what go? Durzi is was an overaged pick, that is cool. What does that have to do with what I just posted?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He didn't exactly light up the OHL. I seriously anything becomes of him at the NHL level.

Big men are kind of exceptions to that though. A lot of stars didn't really come into their own until 24 or 25. I mean look at Chara as the ultimate example of someone who took almost a decade of development to become one of the best shutdown D of all time.

Reactions: Its not your fault

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Big men are kind of exceptions to that though. A lot of stars didn't really come into their own until 24 or 25. I mean look at Chara as the ultimate example of someone who took almost a decade of development to become one of the best shutdown D of all time.
That's true. But in most of these exception cases, it's a matter of opportunity -- good/great players that, for whatever reason (older elite teammates crowding ATOI, coach personality conflicts, size) don't get a chance, but he was getting #1 D time this year, and still didn't manage to improve his output.

He is huge, skates well, has a good pass, and seems to have a very good point shot -- both slapper and wrister -- that can score, and get the puck to the net through a crowd to generate a rebound.

But the lack of productive output between this series and last, despite being a #1 D... the odds are low.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What's better for his development? Another year in OHL, AHL or KHL. Marlies have a crowded RHD Liljegren, Lavorde, Lindgren and maybe Durzi. KHL might be the best place for him.
Grundstrom didn't come to the OHL or AHL but had his development years in the SHL. Surely Raseanen can do OK in the KHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

for every chara there is 1000 other 6'6"+ dmen that dont make it. Its luck purely and simply these big guys occasionally find something at 24/25 sure but the majority, licke the majority of our other giants, dont make it

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
for every chara there is 1000 other 6'6"+ dmen that dont make it. Its luck purely and simply these big guys occasionally find something at 24/25 sure but the majority, licke the majority of our other giants, dont make it

Difference is hockey IQ. Every single person who is over 6 foot 4 will be drafted. Meanwhile other players are drafted based on a ton of other skills. If you get the rare high IQ + size + decent skating combo you have a gem. There are other huge D who have made it since Chara, it's just really rare to find huge defense honestly.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Difference is hockey IQ. Every single person who is over 6 foot 4 will be drafted. Meanwhile other players are drafted based on a ton of other skills. If you get the rare high IQ + size + decent skating combo you have a gem. There are other huge D who have made it since Chara, it's just really rare to find huge defense honestly.

That combo you suggested is a top15 pick
Minimum. What we drafted most had one of those 3 options (size) gordeev and rasanen were the only 2 tonhave at least one more. Gordeev is a really good skater and rasanen decent to just below average

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
That combo you suggested is a top15 pick
Minimum. What we drafted most had one of those 3 options (size) gordeev and rasanen were the only 2 tonhave at least one more. Gordeev is a really good skater and rasanen decent to just below average

Not true. At that age these guys hardly ever have developed the tools. 3 years later, they can have gotten stronger and become a much better skater. It's why guys like Weber were 2nd rounders.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Also I think folks way over exaggerate the idea of bigger guys being late bloomers/slow developers. Some guys are, but the same thing applies to smaller bodied people too.

Players have to grow into their growing bodies. Bigger players that had late growth spurts or need time to fill out their bodies take time.

A 6-4 player might be a beanpole at 170-180lbs but could fill out to 6-4 215 when playing later and learning how to use that size and strength to their advantage.

Little players don't have the frame to fill out that needs time. So their games don't change much over time as a 5-9 180 player in junior at 18 plays like a 5-9 180lbs player in the NHL and don't need time to mature and fill out their frames.

Zdeno Chara was a 3rd rounder in his draft and became a dominating NHLer and Norris winner with growth time. If you draft a Jeremy Bracco at 5-9 he will be the same player now or later size and strength wise only adds experience like all players.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Scored a goal today.

A Leafs fan in Finland is providing a lot of his updates during the games in the prospect forum.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Players have to grow into their growing bodies. Bigger players that had late growth spurts or need time to fill out their bodies take time.

A 6-4 player might be a beanpole at 170-180lbs but could fill out to 6-4 215 when playing later and learning how to use that size and strength to their advantage.

Little players don't have the frame to fill out that needs time. So their games don't change much over time as a 5-9 180 player in junior at 18 plays like a 5-9 180lbs player in the NHL and don't need time to mature and fill out their frames.

Zdeno Chara was a 3rd rounder in his draft and became a dominating NHLer and Norris winner with growth time. If you draft a Jeremy Bracco at 5-9 he will be the same player now or later size and strength wise only adds experience like all players.

Yup it shows small and skill skates circles around size.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Scored a goal today.

A Leafs fan in Finland is providing a lot of his updates during the games in the prospect forum.
8-0 drubbing. Also played 13 mins, assume it's slightly inflated in a blowout but still nothing to scoff at in the KHL at his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad