The Star: Raptors, Leafs ticket prices to increase 2.5% next season

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This is ridiculous, I understand subsidizing but come on the team doing most of the subsidizing has tickets almost double the price of the tickets for low market teams. How is this subsidizing even close to fair for the leafs fans ?

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely ****ing horrible. What have the Raps done to raise their ticket prices? If anything, they should lower them because the team hasn't won in years.

As for the Leafs, I'm not going to say anything because it may be taken as trolling, but I will say I don't think any team, including my Habs, should raise their prices the season directly after a lockout out of respect for the fans..

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's a lot of disrespect on MLSE's part. It's to bad they can assume us leaf fans will always return no matter what, but after a friggen lockout where you in my opinion need to "earn" the respect of the fan back. Then go an announce this? Load of crap

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
How is this subsidizing even close to fair for the leafs fans ?
Because they have paid all previous increases. You may not think it's fair, but there's nothing to suggest that a substantial number of season ticket holders would ever decide to not renew and that no one would take their place.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Because they have paid all previous increases. You may not think it's fair, but there's nothing to suggest that a substantial number of season ticket holders would ever decide to not renew and that no one would take their place.

Yeah that makes it alot better...

Penalty Kill Icing*

I won't say much as I wasn't planning on attending either of Leafs or Raptors game at ACC but,

Is this the thread where one says 'Lets go Blue Jays?' :naughty:

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Remember that NBA lockout that dropped there salary cap to 50% of league revenue last year?
Remember that NHL lockout that dropped there salary cap to 50% of league revenue this year?

Remember them talking about how they need to control there single biggest expenditure?

We the sheeple will always go back, we are addicted as leafs fans. But really raptors fans please stop going show them the city you won't put up with that garbage. You can't be as addicted as us? 14th in attendance, no play-offs in 6 years, at least we blame full buildings on corporates.

**I split seasons with my dad and my brother, and will never cancel, although we are selling more tickets ever year**

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I haven't seen the email yet but at 2.5% that raises my seats 93 cents each.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
"Cost of Living increase"?:laugh:

Never mind that the team is worth more than ever before.
Never mind that the team still makes more money than all but a few North American pro sports teams.
Never mind that the league is emerging from an owner-imposed lockout where player costs were cut.
Never mind that the tickets are already the league's most expensive.
Never mind that on-ice performance doesn't come close to justifying current ticket prices, let alone an increase.

ML$E needs to raise prices.

I think it is quite obvious why this is happening: Someone needs to pay for the $1.35 billion Bell and Rogers paid for this franchise and that someone is us fans.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I, for one was expecting MLSE to cut prices for all teams in half, and give away free concessions, merchandise, etc to the fans.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This is ridiculous, I understand subsidizing but come on the team doing most of the subsidizing has tickets almost double the price of the tickets for low market teams. How is this subsidizing even close to fair for the leafs fans ?

This was bound to happen and I posted in the CBA/Lockout thread, that teams in the US will reduce prices and we get to subsidize them, also with the redistribution of HRR, it would cost us more and here we are, less than 3/4 of the way through the season, paying more and don't bet that it will end there.

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012
I made a decision when I was a kid during the Harold Ballard years that I wasn't going to be a Leaf fan, even though they play 40 minutes away. And it had nothing to do with the players on the team, it had to do with management and ownership. Ownership has consistently lined their pockets with the money of dedicated Leaf fans who get nothing in return.

The most expensive tickets in the league.... 7 years of an embarrassing product and no playoffs, and FINALLY there is a little bit of headway as far as on-ice performance and what do ya know.... ticket prices are raised.

The GTA is the mecca of hockey, this area deserves better than the Leafs.

Reason #4080 that I can't cheer for this franchise.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
personally i am fine with the raptors ticket price increase, at least Colangelo is out there acquiring players, spending money and trying to make the team win. The Raps are right up against the luxury tax right now.

The Leafs have $8.6M in cap space and they are trying to tell me their costs have increased? The leafs payroll today at $54M is less then what it was in the year 2000, you have to love the corporate spin.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Would be a sick, karmic, vaseline-delivered message if the date of the announcement coincided with the beginning of another historic collapse.

Then again, if the Leafs did miss the playoffs, MLSE would announce the increase had been bumped to 5% to account for the lost playoff revenue, the kool-aid drinkers would praise them for their business sense and Burke would call a press-conference and claim that he was due a cut of the increase because he was actually responsible for this season's collapse as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I may be wrong but this feels like it was the first increase in quite a while, when was the last one for you?

First that I recall.

They did drop the price coming out of the last Lockout.

Heisenberg Blue*

The leeches will still be on the street making much more on top of that.

Brokers are no more a 'leech' than someone that sells a house for a profit is. I'm a leech for making a profit off a seat to an entertainment event.. but someone isn't for keeping a family of 4 out of a house because they can't afford where the market went?

number72

Oct 9, 2011
For Jan 12-Jan 13, I believe inflation was 0.5%.

That doesn't include the increased costs the leafs face to keep paying Burke. Leaf fans get screwed twice with Burke - first him as a GM with no playoffs and now due to higher ticket prices because he needs to keep getting paid.

Dukes72

Jul 6, 2009
Toronto
I actually won't mind paying the extra 2.5%.

If you think about it - the savings one gets on the cheap beer/hotdogs/sushi once inside the ACC makes up for the added cost of the ticket. Its actually a deal.
Add to that the winning culture you are exposed to. We should be thankful.

So...give them a break!!
MLSE's operating income is BARELY above $82,000,000!
http://www.forbes.com/teams/toronto-maple-leafs/

They are just scraping by so we can have cheap food and see what winning does to a sports team.

Praise MLSE for thinking of the little guy!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad