Raphael Diaz

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Wow just noticed regarding Ehroff he has only scored 2 powerplay goals with the sabers in 168 games. As a canuck he had 12 in 159 games.

I bet he misses playing here just as much we miss him.

DefMars

May 22, 2011
I still don't like that we gave up dale weise for diaz, Weise was second on our team in scoring in points per 60 minutes of ice time, and he's only a minus 1. I don't see why torts didnt like him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Wow just noticed regarding Ehroff he has only scored 2 powerplay goals with the sabers in 168 games. As a canuck he had 12 in 159 games.

A fair point.

On Diaz: I like the way he seems to want to make plays with the puck rather than just chipping it off the glass and out. Similar to Stanton. Having good mobility helps in that area, and might be a good compliment to Edler.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I still don't like that we gave up dale weise for diaz, Weise was second on our team in scoring in points per 60 minutes of ice time, and he's only a minus 1. I don't see why torts didnt like him.

And if he was given the ice time Hank or Danny get, he'd likely have 1 or 2 points this season instead of 12. Great trade for us. We got a very undervalued d-man IMO for a good hockey player, but not a 4th liner. He's a true teammate and a hard worker, but Dale is not a crash and bang 4th liner like we needed or still need. I'll remember him fondly but this trade I like a lot.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
How has Diaz been playing over the past few games? Weise is settling in well in our 4th line, he's brought a lot of energy and has some really good chemistry with Ryan White.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
How has Diaz been playing over the past few games? Weise is settling in well in our 4th line, he's brought a lot of energy and has some really good chemistry with Ryan White.

I like Diaz a lot, he tends to get overmatched physically in the defensive zone but he's awesome in the offensive zone. He has more offensive savvy than just about of our other defensemen I think. Watching him skate through the offensive zone on a power play is awesome. I like him quite a bit. He has his limitations but I think he fits well on the Canucks backend.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I like Diaz a lot, he tends to get overmatched physically in the defensive zone but he's awesome in the offensive zone. He has more offensive savvy than just about of our other defensemen I think. Watching him skate through the offensive zone on a power play is awesome. I like him quite a bit. He has his limitations but I think he fits well on the Canucks backend.

I like Diaz too but I also like Weber and I think its a bit unfair how often he gets scratched. If I heard right he was a healthy scratch tonight yes?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Wow just noticed regarding Ehroff he has only scored 2 powerplay goals with the Sabres in 168 games. As a canuck he had 12 in 159 games.

Hoff is a sell-out, but I can't really blame him. They threw a huge signing bonus at him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What site can show me Diaz stats for his time only with the Canucks?
TOI
Offense zone starts , etc ...?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
What site can show me Diaz stats for his time only with the Canucks?
TOI
Offense zone starts , etc ...?

http://www.extraskater.com/player/461/raphael-diaz

Shows you his game-by-game stats at even strength in the gamelog (zone starts, TOI). Pretty useful, though I'm not sure where to look up stats for his time with the Canucks on aggregate.

Edit: actually it can be seen here at:

http://www.extraskater.com/team/vancouver-canucks/2013

under 'On-ice: 5 on 5' and 'Deployment'.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hoff is a sell-out, but I can't really blame him. They threw a huge signing bonus at him.

I wouldn't really call him a sell out. It's just too bad that Gillis wouldn't settle on the 5.25M x 5 year deal that he was rumoured to be looking for and just ditched Ballard's $4.2M.

Sabres gave him a fantastic offer that gave him a ton of security, doesn't ever have to negotiate another contract is his career, and Buffalo was spending money to try and become a playoff team that year.

We should have never let him even get a sniff at free agency.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Tough to say because the whole team has been bad. He's been 'not awful' and had a goal in his first game. So ya... he's an okay dman. :nod:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Weise is a solid 4th liner who fights (not good at it but tries) so he should do well for you guys. Diaz looks like he'll be a good 3rd pairing guy for us, brings a different look to D and can be shielded once we get Bieksa and Tanev back.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver

This is what happens when you get too amazed by advanced stats.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I like Diaz too but I also like Weber and I think its a bit unfair how often he gets scratched. If I heard right he was a healthy scratch tonight yes?

I hadn't heard that Weber was healthy again. Either way, by all accounts Diaz is an upgrade over him.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I know we stopped cornering the market on German D-men a while ago, but now it looks like we're going after Swiss. More of a connection to Italians. :sarcasm:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A fair point.

On Diaz: I like the way he seems to want to make plays with the puck rather than just chipping it off the glass and out. Similar to Stanton. Having good mobility helps in that area, and might be a good compliment to Edler.

Don't worry, Tortorella will beat that out of him soon enough.

I remember when a bunch of our other defencemen used to look to make a play too. But that's pretty much gone.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Don't worry, Tortorella will beat that out of him soon enough.

I remember when a bunch of our other defencemen used to look to make a play too. But that's pretty much gone.

What makes you think that? Torts has actually praised guys like Stanton for being confident enough to actually make a play in his own zone to get the puck out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad