Raphael Diaz

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
The real question is: what kind of pay-cheque is Diaz expecting, heading into this off-season? I think the screw-around at Montreal may allow us to go with a one or two year bridge deal or something, but who really knows. I hope we can keep him around for 2-3 mil, especially considering he's good enough to make Edler available. I mean, people were expecting that of Corrado, and Diaz is better than Corrado.

This team is starting to fill up with #4-5 sort of defensemen now: Stanton, Diaz, Corrado coming up, even Weber has been pretty good.

The only thing is we can't be paying all our defensemen three or four million dollars each. Diaz looked solid in his one game so far, but I'm not sure he's earned 3 million aav. The Habs paid Subban less than 3 million and he's a Norris caliber dman (and actually won the Norris). But we seem to give every dman $4 million+. And I think this is part of the reason we don't have a franchise dman... while Montreal does.

Now I know we have a deep defense, and probably have 4 top pairing dmen, so they proabably earn their 4+ million. But if we start giving out 3 million to bottom pairing dmen, we could be in a financial jam.

And frankly, giving all four or Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison close to 5 million each is looking questionable at this point. Sort of like Giving Hansen 2.5 and Burrows 4.5.

I'm just saying, we need to be careful with our salary structure.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Walked in without context: are we talking about giving Diaz $2-3MM a year?!

I am, yeah. The poster I quoted was just floating it by as a hypothetical idea, I think, but I used it as a soapbox to stand on because I'm slightly concerned about our salary structure. Especially regarding our D.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010

If we don't another team will. He is a decent PMD fitting into the second pairing on most teams. There is a premium paid for PMD.

People need to realize how badly we robbed Montreal here. Just because we gave up Weise, some people seem to think Diaz is only worth a fourth liner. That is not the case. This reminds me of the Ehrhoff deal (though Diaz is not as good as Hoff)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Not really... I'm mostly stating that it is possible that we have a D-man of that calibre on our hands. He was getting screwed around in Montreal, but he is a second-pairing guy. Luckily, our defence will overshadow this truth, slightly, but I think that if he can form chemistry with Garrison and make him a better player, then paying 2-3 mil for a player capable of doing that PLUS the return we get for Edler is better than keeping Edler and fumbling with Edler-Garrison pairings until the end of time.

Diaz has #3-4 d-man written all over him from the things that have been regurgitated on this board - and although I am not claiming to have followed him previously at all, the evidence is there when you look into the situation a little further.

If this team is going to start heading in the right direction, then (assuming he is in fact a top 4 guy) it is very obviously worth re-signing him and trading the player who he replaces or makes available at a fair return.

In this case, and has been the case for over a season, Edler is the D-man who fetches the best return, and fits in with the team the least. IMO, the only thing that keeps Edler here is if Diaz forms a special chemistry with him instead of Garrison. However, all signs point to Garrison - Diaz because of Diaz's known skillset as a good passer on the blueline - exactly the thing that made Garrison flourish in Florida.

Edler needs to be on the defensive side of the pairing, as was the case with Edler - Ehrhoff. For some stupid reason, our organization is hell-bent on trying to siphon some sort of offense out of Edler, even though his only skill in that regard is a heavy shot.

So that was more along the lies of my point - not just simply "let's throw 2-3 mil at Diaz because he scored a goal in his first game."

If Diaz ends up blowing chunks, obviously you cut him loose... I just don't think that's going to happen. I think Diaz will be better than Stanton, which would be awesome. If Diaz were to Garrison as Stanton is to Bieksa, I would be a very happy camper.

(lol we traded Weise for this guy)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
If we don't another team will. He is a decent PMD fitting into the second pairing on most teams. There is a premium paid for PMD.

People need to realize how badly we robbed Montreal here. Just because we gave up Weise, some people seem to think Diaz is only worth a fourth liner. That is not the case. This reminds me of the Ehrhoff deal (though Diaz is not as good as Hoff)

It's like the Stanton pick up... just because we got Stanton off waivers doesn't mean he's waiver fodder.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

It has potential to end up as good as the Ehrhoff trade. Diaz's underlying numbers are quite good and he's handled Top 4 minutes well in the past with Montreal. Very shrewd pick up, absolutely hosed the Habs on this one. He was under utilized in favour of a pylon (Boullion). Therrien loves that guy like AV loved Rome. Begevin could have gotten a lot more had Therrien not scratched Diaz for the last 2-3 weeks.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Ehrhoff was clearly a much better much more dynamic player with power play QB abilities that not many players in the league have and a transition game that fit us perfectly.

If Diaz can play on the third pairing, move the puck, and be on one of the PP units I'm happy. Ehrhoff put up 41 points and played 21 minutes per night the year before we added him at age 26. Diaz is already 28, has put up 42 points in his entire career. I need to see him play the rest of the season to make a judgment, lots of players put up great starts with a new team for a while and then the flaws start to show.

But I don't think this can ever end up as good as the Ehrhoff trade even if Diaz plays at his highest level he won't be that good.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Diaz will be useful, but let's not be crazy here. He's played one game. The last player I can think of that was signed by a team that acquired him with so little time to show what he can do was Matt Stajan in Calgary.

2 would be a safe bet, for a few years anyway, but any more is too much of a role of the dice. Tanev and Kassian will both command raises to boot, and we have to add a top six forward.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Ehrhoff was clearly a much better much more dynamic player with power play QB abilities that not many players in the league have and a transition game that fit us perfectly.

If Diaz can play on the third pairing, move the puck, and be on one of the PP units I'm happy. Ehrhoff put up 41 points and played 21 minutes per night the year before we added him at age 26. Diaz is already 28, has put up 42 points in his entire career. I need to see him play the rest of the season to make a judgment, lots of players put up great starts with a new team for a while and then the flaws start to show.

But I don't think this can ever end up as good as the Ehrhoff trade even if Diaz plays at his highest level he won't be that good.

It's on a different level. Ehrhoff was something special, just the same that Tanev is something special in the complete opposite manner.

I see Tanev potential in Diaz, and I think others do as well - which would be where this comparison comes from. Anyone and their talking dog could tell you that Diaz is a different type of defenseman than Ehrhoff is.

Having said that, letting Ehrhoff go was GMMG's biggest mistake in his entire tenure here, absolute hands down.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Edler needs to be on the defensive side of the pairing, as was the case with Edler - Ehrhoff. For some stupid reason, our organization is hell-bent on trying to siphon some sort of offense out of Edler, even though his only skill in that regard is a heavy shot.

Edler is the best passer and most creative blueliner we have, by a country mile. There's a ton more to his game than just a big shot.

I do agree that Diaz' heady game, good skating and slick puck moving could be a great fit with Edler, especially if they use that pairing in offensive situations.

But then what to do with Garrison? I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Stanton has been steadier over the course of the season than Garrison. Garrison's best hockey as a Canuck was playing with Hamhuis and it's a bit perplexing why Torts hasn't tried that pairing, especially since he's tried just about every combo EXCEPT Hamhuis-Garry, Edler-Tanev.

Diaz had a nice first game, but unless he really develops chemistry with someone and/or sparks the PP, imo he'll be hard pressed to stay in the top 6 when everyone returns healthy. If, not when.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Edler is the best passer and most creative blueliner we have, by a country mile. There's a ton more to his game than just a big shot.

I do agree that Diaz' heady game, good skating and slick puck moving could be a great fit with Edler, especially if they use that pairing in offensive situations.

But then what to do with Garrison? I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Stanton has been steadier over the course of the season than Garrison. Garrison's best hockey as a Canuck was playing with Hamhuis and it's a bit perplexing why Torts hasn't tried that pairing, especially since he's tried just about every combo EXCEPT Hamhuis-Garry, Edler-Tanev.

Diaz had a nice first game, but unless he really develops chemistry with someone and/or sparks the PP, imo he'll be hard pressed to stay in the top 6 when everyone returns healthy. If, not when.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. He is on the same level as everyone else on the blueline in this regard, and that's not a good thing. This misnomer comes from Ehrhoff and Salo. Those two were the best passers our blueline has seen for ages, and Edler was always paired with one of them. Now that both of them are gone, we are exposed to Edler's garbage play. He can't pass worth ****. He ices the buck a half dozen times a game, trying to do these passes that coaches are somehow lead to believe he can do. Maybe he can do them under no pressure, like in practice, or something? In-game, he's garbage at passing. Horrible, horrible passer, and a completely unfounded misconception because of how he was babysat by Salo and Ehrhoff with their passing skills.

All Edler has is a good shot.

I think Diaz will be better with Garrison than he will be with Edler. Call that a hunch, though.

Sorry... but I am just sick of people outlining Edler's skillset like they know what they are talking about it when it's really a bunch of hockey pundit regurgitated ********. He's a crap skater, has horrible hockey IQ, and doesn't skate well (which I think is back related. My back is screwed, personally, and it makes sense. Also makes sense why he can't shoot worth a damn anymore, either).

IMO, Edler's development got completely derailed when Ehrhoff left and the coaching staff tried to replace him by changing Edler's role.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. He is on the same level as everyone else on the blueline in this regard, and that's not a good thing. This misnomer comes from Ehrhoff and Salo. Those two were the best passers our blueline has seen for ages, and Edler was always paired with one of them. Now that both of them are gone, we are exposed to Edler's garbage play. He can't pass worth ****. He ices the buck a half dozen times a game, trying to do these passes that coaches are somehow lead to believe he can do. Maybe he can do them under no pressure, like in practice, or something? In-game, he's garbage at passing. Horrible, horrible passer, and a completely unfounded misconception because of how he was babysat by Salo and Ehrhoff with their passing skills.

All Edler has is a good shot.

I think Diaz will be better with Garrison than he will be with Edler. Call that a hunch, though.

Sorry... but I am just sick of people outlining Edler's skillset like they know what they are talking about it when it's really a bunch of hockey pundit regurgitated ********. He's a crap skater, has horrible hockey IQ, and doesn't skate well (which I think is back related. My back is screwed, personally, and it makes sense. Also makes sense why he can't shoot worth a damn anymore, either).

IMO, Edler's development got completely derailed when Ehrhoff left and the coaching staff tried to replace him by changing Edler's role.

you're not even close. Edler has a great stretch pass and is the only blueliner we have that can create any space on the PP. He's not Duncan Keith as a skater, but he's above average, especially for a guy his size.

There's plenty to criticize in Edler's game, especially this year, but you've obviously got a huge hate-on for the guy. *shrugs*

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
you're not even close. Edler has a great stretch pass and is the only blueliner we have that can create any space on the PP. He's not Duncan Keith as a skater, but he's above average, especially for a guy his size.

There's plenty to criticize in Edler's game, especially this year, but you've obviously got a huge hate-on for the guy. *shrugs*

His stretch pass always goes the way of icing. He pulls a pass off once every few games. He was an above-average skater, but I think his back injury has cause regression in this aspect.

I remember years back that people frequently compared him to Lidstrom, with the caveat that he was less skilled and more physical. Edler was once a great positional player, a good skater, and very good one-on-one. He was a bigger Tanev with a good shot.

Edler used to be one of my favorite players. Unfortunately, his development was completely and utterly derailed some time in the last few years, and I think it stems from the fact that:

A) his injury causes him to be more physically reserved, and affects his mobility
B) he's been told to replace Ehrhoff's skillset
C) people like to blame the suspension at the beginning of this season, which I think is stupid and childish
D) I really don't think he gels with Torts (not suggesting friction, just that they may not be compatible).

Edler had all the tools, and his final developmental stages were completely and utterly derailed just as he finally was rounding out into his own player - and this stems from the loss of Ehrhoff, which is a major contributing factor to why I say GMMG's biggest mistake during his entire tenure here was letting Ehrhoff go.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's been one game, let's see if he can play well for us for the rest of the season before we jump on anything unless he'd take a sweetheart deal today.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
So Gillis starts with nothing, gets Weise for free off waivers, then trades him for Diaz... is he trying to create the hockey version of One Red Paperclip?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
It's on a different level. Ehrhoff was something special, just the same that Tanev is something special in the complete opposite manner.

I see Tanev potential in Diaz, and I think others do as well - which would be where this comparison comes from. Anyone and their talking dog could tell you that Diaz is a different type of defenseman than Ehrhoff is.

Having said that, letting Ehrhoff go was GMMG's biggest mistake in his entire tenure here, absolute hands down.

Well we've only seen Diaz for one game but Ehrhoff played on pairing 1A or 1B depending on how you look at it and finished 15th and 7th in d-man scoring for us and was an all star and a HUGE part of the best power play we've ever seen in this city. So the odds of Diaz coming anywhere near that impact are zero, the dude is 28 and I'll be very happy to admit Im wrong if it turns out he's a great top 4 dman but IMO there's zero chance this deal ever ends up being anywhere close to the Ehrhoff trade. Regardless of his style of play.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
His stretch pass always goes the way of icing. He pulls a pass off once every few games. He was an above-average skater, but I think his back injury has cause regression in this aspect.

I remember years back that people frequently compared him to Lidstrom, with the caveat that he was less skilled and more physical. Edler was once a great positional player, a good skater, and very good one-on-one. He was a bigger Tanev with a good shot.

Edler used to be one of my favorite players. Unfortunately, his development was completely and utterly derailed some time in the last few years, and I think it stems from the fact that:

A) his injury causes him to be more physically reserved, and affects his mobility
B) he's been told to replace Ehrhoff's skillset
C) people like to blame the suspension at the beginning of this season, which I think is stupid and childish
D) I really don't think he gels with Torts (not suggesting friction, just that they may not be compatible).

Edler had all the tools, and his final developmental stages were completely and utterly derailed just as he finally was rounding out into his own player - and this stems from the loss of Ehrhoff, which is a major contributing factor to why I say GMMG's biggest mistake during his entire tenure here was letting Ehrhoff go.

Be fair our passing and ability to accept a pass has been dismal under torts. It's like we are playing with the wrong end of the stick. Even the Sedins are infected. Maybe a new face (he certainly seems cool, imo he has a bit of the Keith about him) like Diaz will settle the rest down. We can but hope.

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
Diaz the young GOAT, the new Erhoff. Our powerplay is going to explode back to 2011 levels with this kid as the QB, the Sedins will return to Art Ross form from all the points they get on it. Diaz leads us back to the Cup Final where we sweep the Bruins in 4.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Diaz the young GOAT, the new Erhoff. Our powerplay is going to explode back to 2011 levels with this kid as the QB, the Sedins will return to Art Ross form from all the points they get on it. Diaz leads us back to the Cup Final where we sweep the Bruins in 4.

And then Diaz signs a 10 year, $40 million contract that pays him $18m in the first 2 years, and everyone cries because we "let him go".

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So Gillis starts with nothing, gets Weise for free off waivers, then trades him for Diaz... is he trying to create the hockey version of One Red Paperclip?

I kind of like the idea of feeding him good ice time, and then if he keeps up strong play flipping him at the deadline if a contender needs defensmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad