Raphael Diaz - the forgotten dman

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Not a lot of talk about Diaz. He put up some pretty good numbers with Zug in the Swiss A league playing with Zetterberg. In 32 games he had 7 goals and 22 assist. Last season was his first in the NHL and he should be even better this season. He'll be battling Subban and Weber as the only the only right shooting dmen on the team. However with Montreal's depth he'll likely have a tough time cracking the top 6

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Bouillon

Weber, Diaz, Commodore

With a condensed season we'll likely see more injuries than normal so I'm sure he'll get his shot. He does remind me of Streit from a few seasons ago.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Not a lot of talk about Diaz. He put up some pretty good numbers with Zug in the Swiss A league playing with Zetterberg. In 32 games he had 7 goals and 22 assist. Last season was his first in the NHL and he should be even better this season. He'll be battling Subban and Weber as the only the only right shooting dmen on the team. However with Montreal's depth he'll likely have a tough time cracking the top 6

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Bouillon

Weber, Diaz, Commodore

With a condensed season we'll likely see more injuries than normal so I'm sure he'll get his shot. He does remind me of Streit from a few seasons ago.

Throwing him on a PP unit, perhaps the 2nd unit alongside Kaberle, is pretty much the best case scenario for him getting a fair shot at the moment. Play him on the third pairing instead of Kabs there too for some more deserved ice time. He's pretty decent in all respects, but not outstanding anywhere. His offensive abilities do have potential to be much more than they are. Him and Emelin both have shown glimpses of good offensive capabilities. Diaz more with his shot and Emelin with a good pass though, which is why I'd give Raffy some PP time.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
he might not get the best chances this year, but in a near cap restricted future, i think he will be around the habs for a while.

hogtownhabsfan*

Whenever I watched the Habs live, I was always impressed with Diaz. Fantastic hockey IQ and alot of skill for a Dman.

WeberBombs

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I was pissed when he used to play over Emelin at the start of last year but I gotta say that he definitely impressed me last year. Way better than LJV in my opinion.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I really have faith he'll end up into a Streit type of player, good on PP and still kind of reliable defensively. He's a late bloomer but I still think he has potential to be a good 4th defenceman.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Wait.... Commodore??? Diaz is better than weber so thatwould put him at #7 so I'm sure he gets a shot at icetime due to injuries. IMO weber is odd man out, he hasn't done anything so far to show he is a career NHLer, soft, mediocre positioning, not much production, mediocre hockey IQ. Dlaz has wheels, better D IQ and playmaking.

NewHabsEra*

Most underrated Habs player. He and Emelin are excellent young defensemen who will help our team alot in the future..

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Many fans in general have thrown Diaz under the bus for being too soft. I think, like others on here, that he has the potential to be a very useful Dman (pushing Weber down the depth chart) who is good positionally, smart and can certainly develop his NA offensive game.

It's never wise to throw away "younger" players (yeah I know he's around 26) like him. The problem with the Habs is that they have redundant guys in the form of Weber, Kaberle and Diaz. Kaberle will leave eventually, Weber can hopefully be used in a trade (he's not a bad player by any means, and certainly still has potential) and Diaz can be kept while other prospects like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and, soon, Thrower and Dietz, and perhaps others (? so many) develop in Hamilton.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Most underrated Habs player. He and Emelin are excellent young defensemen who will help our team alot in the future..

Many fans in general have thrown Diaz under the bus for being too soft. I think, like others on here, that he has the potential to be a very useful Dman (pushing Weber down the depth chart) who is good positionally, smart and can certainly develop his NA offensive game.

It's never wise to throw away "younger" players (yeah I know he's around 26) like him. The problem with the Habs is that they have redundant guys in the form of Weber, Kaberle and Diaz. Kaberle will leave eventually, Weber can hopefully be used in a trade (he's not a bad player by any means, and certainly still has potential) and Diaz can be kept while other prospects like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and, soon, Thrower and Dietz, and perhaps others (? so many) develop in Hamilton.

Yes and yes.

He had very similar #s to Streit if not better at a younger age starting in the NHL. People who want to throw him away are crazy.

He's a great bridge to have that will allow us not to rush our younger D prospects, especially Beaulieu.

The fact that Emelin and Diaz are going to be better this year is a pretty good factor in us being a better team this year than last.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Wait.... Commodore??? Diaz is better than weber so thatwould put him at #7 so I'm sure he gets a shot at icetime due to injuries. IMO weber is odd man out, he hasn't done anything so far to show he is a career NHLer, soft, mediocre positioning, not much production, mediocre hockey IQ. Dlaz has wheels, better D IQ and playmaking.

I'm sorry but he can play the body very well. He's much more adept with the physicality than Diaz.

Although Diaz is stil the better defenseman overall, and I see him playing with Tinordi in the future.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
If he doesn't crack the top 6 D, meaning he doesn't start the season as a Defenseman, what do you guys think of playing him on the 4th line?

Personally, I'd prefer having him on the third pairing. Also, due to a shortened season, with a bit higher rate of games played per week, don't think it would be the best idea to have him as a 12th forward... Just an idea though.

Young Gun

Nov 9, 2009
Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Bouillon

Weber, Diaz, Commodore

No NHL team is going anywhere, with a d looking like that, not exactly tough to
play against, i'm sure it will be looked at over the season, its just to small and soft.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Bouillon

Weber, Diaz, Commodore

play against, i'm sure it will be looked at over the season, its just to small and soft.

seriously that's one solid stay at home guy with size short of being a really really good D corps.

You swap Bouillon with an NHL ready Tinordi or Ellis and we're in business. Kaberle's not the greatest but if he has someone reliable with him he'll be fine. If not Diaz can totally swap in for Kaberle.

It's fine admitting our shortcomings but you can't totally dismiss what we actually have. The pieces are there.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Kaberle Bouillon

Weber, Diaz, Commodore

I disagree with that statement entirely. Subban Gorges and Markov would be a top 4 defenseman on almost every team. Emelin and Bouillon add a bit of sandpaper to the bottom pairings and yeah you swap Kaberle with a more physical defenseman I can't see us needing much more than that. But I don't think defense is our weakness as it was last year.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Diaz should be in the lineup this season. I'd be pretty ticked off if Boullion is in over him. If the team isn't going to be competitive this season, I'd rather they'd give the time to Diaz who actually may have a few good years ahead of him rather than Boullion who is at the tail end of his career.

Rutabaga

Apr 27, 2010
Middle of Nowhere
Diaz should be in the lineup this season. I'd be pretty ticked off if Boullion is in over him. If the team isn't going to be competitive this season, I'd rather they'd give the time to Diaz who actually may have a few good years ahead of him rather than Boullion who is at the tail end of his career.

I also hope that they're planning to use Bouillon as the backup solution (as he should, Diaz is a better player than he is, even if Bouillon is a warrior), and let the young players work their game in a situation where the team is not really expected to perform. That would be difficult to understand if its not the case.

idk

Jan 11, 2012
If he doesn't crack the top 6 D, meaning he doesn't start the season as a Defenseman, what do you guys think of playing him on the 4th line?

Personally, I'd prefer having him on the third pairing. Also, due to a shortened season, with a bit higher rate of games played per week, don't think it would be the best idea to have him as a 12th forward... Just an idea though.

We're also log-jammed at forward though. Right now for wingers we've got Cole, Patches, Gionta, Bourque, Prust, Armstrong, Moen and possibly Galchenyuk. Add to that six centres (one is injured but should be back soon, so two centres fighting for spots on the Wing - probably White and maybe Gomez) and you've really got no room for Diaz.

Personally I think one of Diaz or Weber has to go before the season starts. We've just got too many hands back there and not enough roster spots.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We're going to carry 8 defenseman regardless. Maybe even trade a defenseman and still carry 8 (depending on waiver rules for St-Denis).

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I do not like the idea of a D on forward. Not once was it ever really effective in producing something. What you are telling the other team (and fans) is that this is a throw away shift for you, and the only objective is not to give up a goal.

It was a bad idea when the Habs did it with Streit, Dandenault, and Weber. Repeating it is not a good idea or solution. What it really says is that the roster is seriously lacking in one area, and overflowing with similar players in another. Address THAT issue before moving guys into positions that are uncomfortable to them and work against their development.

I bet you any of those players hated every second of playing forward. When they got back to the bench, I am sure they breathed a sigh of relief if they were not scored against. "I survived another bullcrap shift."

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I really did not want to like Diaz, but he showed to be a heady D some some offensive upside.

The NHL grind really wears guys down. He really slowed down in the second half, injury or not. Totally normal for first year players. Let's see what he can do this year.

As posters have said above, the true problem with the Habs is that they have an over abundance of the same type of player, and not much of others. That makes for a team that is easy to play against.

Just accumulating players is not building a team, you need to fit them together. Let's hope Bergevin believes that as well, and does something about it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Diaz has a great shot and would just tee off if he was paired with Markov on the PP. I know that role will be PKs but I would love to see it. I also hate all this talk about him being soft, lots of great NHL defencemen are labelled soft but what does it mean? I would say smart instead of soft, there is no longevity in hitting everything that moves, there are those that can do it but it is not needed from every player. He will be a decent 6th to 7th D that can do well on the powerplay if given the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad