Raphael Diaz accepts Flames PTO

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Diaz is better than Potter hands down, so if Potter didn't have to try out, I'd say just sign Diaz to a one year, two way deal if he takes it. Get some constant competition for the #6/#7 spot and bolster that AHL defensive line

I think we would have signed Diaz to a two-way deal if he'd agreed to it. He chose our team for a tryout because he reportedly felt that his odds of making the NHL squad were best here, which tells us that he's holding out for an NHL job. Potter clearly wasn't so ambitious, which was why we were able to sign him two-way.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think we would have signed Diaz to a two-way deal if he'd agreed to it. He chose our team for a tryout because he reportedly felt that his odds of making the NHL squad were best here, which tells us that he's holding out for an NHL job. Potter clearly wasn't so ambitious, which was why we were able to sign him two-way.

Yep. Diaz is likely hoping for a 1-way deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Diaz is better than Potter hands down, so if Potter didn't have to try out, I'd say just sign Diaz to a one year, two way deal if he takes it. Get some constant competition for the #6/#7 spot and bolster that AHL defensive line
Diaz and Brookbank are better than Potter without question. But (and this is a J.Lo sized but) Potter is clearly the only willing to accept a two-way contract right now, as well as possible re-assignment to the AHL.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Diaz wouldn't sign a 2-way deal.
He would get paid way more in the Swiss league than in the AHL.

1-way or Switzerland, I think.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Diaz wouldn't sign a 2-way deal.
He would get paid way more in the Swiss league than in the AHL.

1-way or Switzerland, I think.

He would earn 600'000 CHF (approximately 720'000 USD) in the Swiss league. So for him to sign a 2-way deal it would take an extremely high AHL-salary or essentially a 1-way deal for 700'000 USD. I don't think he would sign a league-minimum 1-way contract at the risk of being waiver-fodder or benched 40+ games.

So he'll probably sign a 1-way somewhere for 700'000 USD or go back to Zug.

Diaz and Brookbank are better than Potter without question. But (and this is a J.Lo sized but) Potter is clearly the only willing to accept a two-way contract right now, as well as possible re-assignment to the AHL.

Last season Diaz didn't play like an NHL-defenseman at any level and I've watched several games of him (one playoff game being the exception even though he played extremely sheltered minutes). To say he's better than Potter is simply not true at the moment. His ceiling is way higher but right now I'd rather have Potter as my blueliner.
Yet it is true that he's not looking for work since he's got a valid cotract in Switzerland.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad