Raphael Diaz accepts Flames PTO

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Raphael Diaz accepted the invitation to the Flames training camp. According to Rumors Detroit and Dallas or Toronto also offered a PTO but Diaz decided to attend the Flames training cam because he thought his chances to make the team would be best here.

https://twitter.com/SchweizerSilvan/status/508916379937177600

Personally, I don´t think he´s NHL material. He´s a decent puck mover but neither has the physicality nor the intelligence for NA hockey (suicide passes, slow decision making)

May 27, 2012
Earth
I like Diaz. He is alright, if he is paired with a stay home dman he can be effective. I mean he was pretty good two years ago. 14 points in 21 games.

I would give him a shot if he impresses Bob Hartley and crew.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good to see guys willing to come here. This isn't really a big deal, though. Competition can only be good.

fallsviewafro*

I keep getting my Swiss D-men mixed up, all I can remember is Josi because of that Gaudreau .gif.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Raphael Diaz accepted the invitation to the Flames training camp. According to Rumors Detroit and Dallas or Toronto also offered a PTO but Diaz decided to attend the Flames training cam because he thought his chances to make the team would be best here.

https://twitter.com/SchweizerSilvan/status/508916379937177600
That's weird, considering Detroit type of game and the fact they are completely missing RH Ds that's where I think he should have chosen to go.

Personally, I don´t think he´s NHL material. He´s a decent puck mover but neither has the physicality nor the intelligence for NA hockey (suicide passes, slow decision making)
I think he is NHL material and actually there have been stretches in the past where he has been a good NHLer too.
He only lacks physicality imo, so he should be paired with someone who is able to clear the crease, which is actually his only real flaw. I've only seen him struggle with decision making after coming back from a concussion, I don't think he lacks hockey intelligence.

There are many worse defensemen in the NHL.
He can score and is good on the PP, powerplay should be a key part of his contribution.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No harm in this. If he makes the team, chances are he'll have earned it. Another righthand shot, and some competition at camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no qualms about this.

I do not think both he and Brookbank will earn deals with the Flames though. I think this is more or less a showcase for the players to show off what they are capable of to the entire NHL, not just the Flames. I think one or both will be cut and will sign with other clubs as injuries arise.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like these PTOs Calgary's giving out.

They're all smart, and non harmful to development. Plus all these cheapee tryouts and PTOs might end up being big time profit for Calgary.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
We must collect ALL of the #7 defensemen
Free_agents.jpg

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think Diaz is better than Potter hands down, so if Potter didn't have to try out, I'd say just sign Diaz to a one year, two way deal if he takes it. Get some constant competition for the #6/#7 spot and bolster that AHL defensive line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad