[RANT] Tired of the lack of acknowledgment by major outlets

Left handed

May 8, 2018
I would not consider myself a die hard hockey fan, but I'm particularly loyal to the sport and to this team. I have a lineup of my go to podcasts. These include Chiclets, 32 Thoughts, Puck Soup, and of course WWP. Now, with the exception of WWP, the Wings seemingly get little to no acknowledgment. Just this morning, I was riding my bike into work listening to 32 Thoughts. Friedge and Marek were running down their lists of coaches and where they may end up. They were talking about Trotz, Montgomery, Cassidy, etc., and all the places they might end up. And yet, not a single mention of the Red Wings, their vacancy, or who might be tempted to help turn things around under Yzerman. For 15 years, I watched this team be the pinnacle of the hockey world. We were successful, an Original Six with history and lore; the talk of the town! Now it's like we don't even exist. How did the Wings fall out of the good graces of the media world? Teams like Vegas, Buffalo, and Ottawa get far more attention. We're a good organization with solid roots, and they treat us like we're non-existent. As a Wings fan, it's exceptionally frustrating after all this team has done for the league over the past 25 years.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So you just want us to be a good team again. The Wings have been completely irrelevant for a decade. They’ve been out of the playoffs entirely for over half of that decade.

Vegas played for a title in the past five years and has had high profile pieces they’ve added. Also, they’re in f***ing Las Vegas.

Ottawa was bad earlier than we were and is farther along on their recovery.

And no… Buffalo does NOT get more attention. Buffalo gets no attention and the only attention they did get was due to their flagrant mishandling of the Eichel situation.

If you want the Wings to be the talk of the town again, let Yzerman try to build it all back up.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I would not consider myself a die hard hockey fan, but I'm particularly loyal to the sport and to this team. I have a lineup of my go to podcasts. These include Chiclets, 32 Thoughts, Puck Soup, and of course WWP. Now, with the exception of WWP, the Wings seemingly get little to no acknowledgment. Just this morning, I was riding my bike into work listening to 32 Thoughts. Friedge and Marek were running down their lists of coaches and where they may end up. They were talking about Trotz, Montgomery, Cassidy, etc., and all the places they might end up. And yet, not a single mention of the Red Wings, their vacancy, or who might be tempted to help turn things around under Yzerman. For 15 years, I watched this team be the pinnacle of the hockey world. We were successful, an Original Six with history and lore; the talk of the town! Now it's like we don't even exist. How did the Wings fall out of the good graces of the media world? Teams like Vegas, Buffalo, and Ottawa get far more attention. We're a good organization with solid roots, and they treat us like we're non-existent. As a Wings fan, it's exceptionally frustrating after all this team has done for the league over the past 25 years.
You answered your own question: good team was good, now bad team is bad. They're going to fall under the radar until that changes.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I get it. Playoffs for 25 years straight, original six,
High end gm, still one of the higher valued franchises, 2 rookies in Calder talks all year and led Calder scoring by a lot and clearly and up and comer. I mean they are talking about Philly more.

However like it was mentioned Yzerman hasn't leaked a thing since he got here. Never a rumour that i can remember. No one even seems to link the Wings to anyone anymore when it comes to a trade because not one has any clue what Yzerman is gonna do.

Reactions: ealong59

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Over the next few months we will have a top 10 pick, a new coach, and I expect us to be active in free agency.

Those will get us some mentions. After that we have to start to win some games.

Honestly I don’t think bad teams deserve to be talked about (nationally). I think it’s so stupid how much they discussed teams like the Lakers on ESPN this year when they were straight trash. I’d prefer not to be like them.

Reactions: jkutswings

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Yzerman doesn’t talk to the press nor does he tolerate his underlings talking to the press, he runs a tight ship, so why would you expect the media to talk about Detroit?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Red Wings are the worst team in the NHL over the last combined 6 years (not a short time).
Even Arizona, Buffalo and Ottawa have more points over that stretch.

Vegas has like 80 more points than us over the last 6 years and they’ve only been in the league for 5 years.

Yzerman hasn’t exactly been ‘podcast material splashy’. Just builds through the draft and patches the roster with one year players here and there.

But I agree, we are still in the league…. They could atleast mention we too need a coach!:laugh:

If anyone knows of a good Red Wings content based podcast… Drop a mention. I’d be interested.

Left handed

May 8, 2018
Red Wings are the worst team in the NHL over the last combined 6 years (not a short time).
Even Arizona, Buffalo and Ottawa have more points over that stretch.

Vegas has like 80 more points than us over the last 6 years and they’ve only been in the league for 5 years.

Yzerman hasn’t exactly been ‘podcast material splashy’. Just builds through the draft and patches the roster with one year players here and there.

But I agree, we are still in the league…. They could atleast mention we too need a coach!:laugh:

If anyone knows of a good Red Wings content based podcast… Drop a mention. I’d be interested.
Winged Wheel Podcast is the only one that I listen to regularly. But it's only three Canadian friends who get together to chat about the Wings, not exactly insiders. Their reputation has grown significantly though. They've managed interviews with Ken Daniels, Nick Lidstrom (I think), and other notable Wings alum. I think they also interviewed Friedge and Marek.

It's just crazy to me that they don't bring up the Wings at all when it comes to coaching or player possibilities. Even when it's purely speculation or hypothetical, the Wings are almost always left out of the conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caufield

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Too bad to be relevant, but we aren’t a shit show like some of the other irrelevant teams that get negative attention. So, we fly under the radar. For now.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Vegas is good. Ottawa has been a clown show in Canada and fun to laugh at. Not much to chat about with Detroit. Bad team and tight lips.

Will be chatter when Seider wins the Calder.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why isn't anyone acknowledging the Tigers?!?!?! LOL.

Welcome to the cellar, buddy Sportscasters talk about teams that draw an audience, any talk about the Wings and the rest of the country switches stations. Even here on HF, the only time Detroit gets mentioned is in cap dump trades.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
9 or 10 vacancies and temps right now.
This is really it. We knew when we canned Blash that we were going to have a lot of competition for a new coach and that we were further from being competitive than many others looking for new bench bosses. We aren't the worst job in the league, but we certainly aren't the most attractive either.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
This is really it. We knew when we canned Blash that we were going to have a lot of competition for a new coach and that we were further from being competitive than many others looking for new bench bosses. We aren't the worst job in the league, but we certainly aren't the most attractive either.
… Makes you wonder if there is already a wink/nudge handshake deal in place with someone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
… Makes you wonder if there is already a wink/nudge handshake deal in place with someone.
There totally could be. Notwithstanding the presser I think he had a pretty short list of guys he was going to target. The decision to move on from Blash was reached a long time ago I am guessing.

My money says that be brought back Blash because he was targeting Cooper and needed to wait out his contract. With Cooper re-signed midseason, he still had plenty of time to tack.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The spittin chiclets guys actually talk about the wings a lot and give them some coverage. They had Seider highlights all ove their social media all year talking about how good he is, and they had a running joke about Stevie Y's goon squad that got them a lt of coverage because they were sticking up for each other so much

Reactions: Ricelund

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I’m the same as you. Not super into sports generally but the Wings are big with my family so I latched on after moving out and fell in love with the team and the sport after years of catching games here and there. My main source of hockey media is Chiclets or here but I try to catch every Chiclets episode. I get what you mean about the Wings’ media attention but I think we have been getting a fair amount of mentions given the season(s) we had.

The last few seasons we’ve been bad. Just bad bad. Not trashy like Buffalo where we have drama but just bad and that’s boring. Fortunately, we haven’t had an Eichel or E. Kane situation where the media will tune in for weekly updates despite the stats. The closest we had was Bert’s vax stance and I think that was a bit too hot (read as too political) to be touched on Chiclets or those other slots too much. I’m sure print/web sources covered it though.

I also think it would just be bad sports journalism to tune in each week to herald “Wings still suck” on the broad stages we’re talking about. Until recently, there hasn’t been anything to report—outside of the buzz if Yzerman’s return a few years ago. That was covered pretty well.

This season, we have something to talk about. Seider and Raymond took the stage and kicked ass. Seider is a Calder finalist. Bert and Larkin had record years. Now we’re looking for a new coach and starting to right the ship.

I can really only speak to Chilets out of the pods you mentioned, but they’ve been tossing the Wings just as much credit, if not more, than some of the other teams in similar situations. A player like Zegras will always get a bit more chatter over a Seider because he’s flashy and a forward and that’s sexier on the highlight reel to the avg fan but that’s just the name of the game really. Chiclets has paid their love to Seider and Raymond and the team’s (literal) fighting spirit earlier in the season. We just kinda fell off from there. Except Seider who I think will be largely under hyped because of the type of game he plays.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So you just want us to be a good team again. The Wings have been completely irrelevant for a decade. They’ve been out of the playoffs entirely for over half of that decade.

Vegas played for a title in the past five years and has had high profile pieces they’ve added. Also, they’re in f***ing Las Vegas.

Ottawa was bad earlier than we were and is farther along on their recovery.

And no… Buffalo does NOT get more attention. Buffalo gets no attention and the only attention they did get was due to their flagrant mishandling of the Eichel situation.

If you want the Wings to be the talk of the town again, let Yzerman try to build it all back up.
Buffalo gets the attention of some Ontario hockey media.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Buffalo gets the attention of some Ontario hockey media.
And the Wings are in the News and Free Press.

That’s clearly not what the guy that made this post is talking about. Nobody cares if the Windsor Observer and Eccentric or the Brampton Times pick up a story on the Sabres. Outside of Eichel’s surgery nonsense, Buffalo has neither gotten nor deserved any national press coverage.

Hell, the only national mentions outside of the draft have been “yep, Jeff Skinner still has like the worst contract in the league!”

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And the Wings are in the News and Free Press.

That’s clearly not what the guy that made this post is talking about. Nobody cares if the Windsor Observer and Eccentric or the Brampton Times pick up a story on the Sabres. Outside of Eichel’s surgery nonsense, Buffalo has neither gotten nor deserved any national press coverage.

Hell, the only national mentions outside of the draft have been “yep, Jeff Skinner still has like the worst contract in the league!”

The Toronto hockey media is the most influential hockey media in the planet.
Lots of media guys go to Sabre games because it's in their backyard.
So we get more rumors out of Buffalo than we do out of San Jose or Seattle or Carolina, etc.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I get where you are coming from but to be honest, its a blessing. Makes life easier on the players and allows yzerman to do his job with minimal outside influence.

Its not fun to "fall off the radar" but it actually makes building a team easier.

Reactions: Left handed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad