Ranking the last 30 #1 Draft picks

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
If this has allready been done then please excuse this thread but I was wondering if you ranked from 1981- 2010 the #1 draft pick how they would rank. Some players are still in the middle of their careers so you could gage based on play so far, I know it would not be accurate but you can use your judgement how you think the rest of their career will play out. Here is what I think the rankings should look like:

1) Mario Lemieux- An easy choice
2) Sidney Crosby- Allready has a Stanley Cup, Hart trophy, Richard, Ross and Olympic gold medal.
3) Alex Ovechkin- Has put up points like Crosby but hasnt won any team awards yet.
4)Mike Modano- A very consistant player for his whole career has a Stanley Cup and has over 1300 points.
5)Dale Hawerchuk- Over 500 goals and 1400 points in his career playing for some very bad teams. If he was drafter by a team like the Oilers or Flames in the 80s his point totals and team success would be alot higher.
6)Mats Sundin- Face of the Leafs franchise had some good playoff runs never won a Stanley Cup
7) Vincent Lecavalier- Numbers slightly less impressive than Thorntons during the regular season but in the Playoffs he has won a Stanley Cup.
8) Joe Thornton - Great Regular season numbers poor playoff showings
9) Ilya Kovalchuk- See above
10) Steven Stamkos - A star in the making could go as high as 4th if he continues to score at the pass he is going at.
11) Eric Lindros - Started off great then ended with a whimper
12) Pierre Turgeon - Had a pretty solid career reaching over 1300 points and 500 goals.
13) Rick Nash- Has led the league in scoring once and has won a gold medal with Canada but has never had team success.
14) Owen Nolan - Very similar to Nash but never led the league in goals and had very little team success in the playoffs.
15) Marc- Andre Fleury - Has won a gold medal and Stanley Cup has been very inconsistant.
16) Wendel Clark - A heart and soul guy every team needs
17) Patrick Kane - Has skill and is still very young this is a star in the making
18) John Tavares - Once the Islanders get some players to build around he will explode look at how he played at the World Championships.
19) Taylor Hall - Still early to tell but I think hes going to be a star.
20) Rick Dipietro - Injuries has hurt this once cant miss prospect, Islanders should have kept Luongo.
21) Ed Jovanovski- A solid blue liner for several seasons hasnt had the WOW factor scouts were hoping for.
22) Roman Hamrlik- See above
23) Joe Murphy - A solid career
24) Chris Phillips - A rock steady D-man who has been to a cup final
25) Erik Johnson - Could be a star or the next Hamrlik still to early to tell
26) Bryan Berard - Injuries again ruined this player
27) Brian Lawton - One of the worst draft decisions was to take him instead of Yzerman.
28) Gord Kluzak - Dont know much about his career
29) Alexander Daigle - One of the worst #1 draft picks ever
30) Patrik Stefan - A complete bust in every sence of the word.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Move Dale Hawerchuk ahead of Mike Modano.

Move Chris Phillips up,... just before Taylor Hall will do.

Thats a really interesting idea. Hawerchuk ahead of Modano. I had a hard time debating these two players my thinking was that Modano won a Stanley Cup with the Stars which has to count for something. Razor thin line IMO.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I get how team success is a good tiebreak, but I'm not sure why it's becoming a necessary criteria.

It's not Nash's fault the team sucks or that Howson can't get anyone decent to play for Columbus.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Here is my suggestion.

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Sidney Crosby
3) Dale Hawerchuk

Those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

4) Alex Ovechkin
5) Mats Sundin
6) Mike Modano
7) Eric Lindros

The next four are players I'd happily build a team around for a long period of time. Too bad Lindros was so injury prone, or he'd have rivaled Mario for #1.

8) Wendel Clark
9) Patrick Kane
10) Owen Nolan

These are 3 players that I personally love. While lacking the the superstar status, they have the proven clutch abilities.

11) Steven Stamkos

Too early to tell really, but he is sky-rocketing up my rankings.

12) Vincent Lecavalier
13) Rick Nash
14) Marc- Andre Fleury
15) Ed Jovanovski

Proven solid players, not any major dissapointment for a #1, but never truly superstars. Both Lecavalier and Fleury got cup-rings as integral parts of their teams, while not being the top star.

16) Roman Hamrlik
17) Chris Phillips

Solid NHL'ers that have never been spectacular, but were a slight disappointment as #1 draft picks.

18) Rick Dipietro
19) Bryan Berard

Injuries, oh injuries.. If not for that..

20) Pierre Turgeon
21) Joe Murphy
22) Ilya Kovalchuk
23) Joe Thornton

Soft regular-season point-accumulators, complete wastes of #1 picks.

24) Taylor Hall
25) John Tavares
26) Erik Johnson

Far too early to tell category, can either go up or down.

27) Brian Lawton
28) Gord Kluzak
29) Alexander Daigle
30) Patrik Stefan

I can't disagree with the bottom 4.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Here is my suggestion.

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Sidney Crosby
3) Dale Hawerchuk

4) Alex Ovechkin
5) Mats Sundin
6) Mike Modano
7) Eric Lindros

The next four are players I'd happily build a team around for a long period of time. Too bad Lindros was so injury prone, or he'd have rivaled Mario for #1.

8) Wendel Clark
9) Patrick Kane
10) Owen Nolan

These are 3 players that I personally love. While lacking the the superstar status, they have the proven clutch abilities.

11) Steven Stamkos

12) Vincent Lecavalier
13) Rick Nash
14) Marc- Andre Fleury
15) Ed Jovanovski

Proven solid players, not any major dissapointment for a #1, but never truly superstars. Both Lecavalier and Fleury got cup-rings as integral parts of their teams, while not being the top star.

16) Roman Hamrlik
17) Chris Phillips

Solid NHL'ers that have never been spectacular, but were a slight disappointment as #1 draft picks.

18) Rick Dipietro
19) Bryan Berard

20) Pierre Turgeon
21) Joe Murphy
22) Ilya Kovalchuk
23) Joe Thornton

24) Taylor Hall
25) John Tavares
26) Erik Johnson

27) Brian Lawton
28) Gord Kluzak
29) Alexander Daigle
30) Patrik Stefan

Yeah, Berard over one of, if not the best playmaker of the 2000's?...

Rick DiPietro over a four time 40 goal scorer?...

Go ahead and group, but your groupings should have no bearing on the rankings...

Edit: In hindsight, the whole list is laughable..

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Here is my suggestion.

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Sidney Crosby
3) Dale Hawerchuk

4) Alex Ovechkin
5) Mats Sundin
6) Mike Modano
7) Eric Lindros

8) Wendel Clark
9) Patrick Kane
10) Owen Nolan

11) Steven Stamkos

12) Vincent Lecavalier
13) Rick Nash
14) Marc- Andre Fleury
15) Ed Jovanovski

16) Roman Hamrlik
17) Chris Phillips

18) Rick Dipietro
19) Bryan Berard

20) Pierre Turgeon
21) Joe Murphy
22) Ilya Kovalchuk
23) Joe Thornton

24) Taylor Hall
25) John Tavares
26) Erik Johnson

27) Brian Lawton
28) Gord Kluzak
29) Alexander Daigle
30) Patrik Stefan

Looks pretty good for the most part, but you're way off on Pierre Turgeon. He spent his career as the best forward on playoff teams. Yeah, he bounced around a bit and never won a Cup, so he's down a few spots on the list. Still, he's a lot closer to a Mats Sundin than it is to a Joe Murphy.

And Vincent Lecavalier over Joe Thornton is obviously wrong. Any team success Lecavalier has had was as an underachieving second line centre. Joe Thornton never got to play on the second line, because he's been among the best five centres in the league for most of his career. Thornton has won a lot more games for his team than Lecavalier.

I'd put Turgeon and Thornton in the 8-10 range. Neither has won a Cup as the best players on their teams, but at least you'd have a shot with them as the best player. No team with Wendel Clark or Owen Nolan as the best player ever went anywhere.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For the active ones, let's assume their careers ended now.

I'd take the following in the All-Time Draft, in the following order:

1) Mario Lemieux - Magnificent.
2) Sidney Crosby - Amazing that he's already the clear #2 here.
3) Alex Ovechkin - Ditto for #3.
4) Eric Lindros - Best peak, absolutely dominant.
5) Joe Thornton - impossible to ignore all the assist titles and linemate elevation.
6)Mike Modano - two-way phenom.
7)Dale Hawerchuk - underappreciated offensive star,
8)Mats Sundin - see above
9) Vincent Lecavalier - more talented than 6-8, but inconsistent.
10) Ilya Kovalchuk - crazy good goalscorer, little else
11) Pierre Turgeon - phenomenal compiler
12) Rick Nash - great peak goalscorer who is now starting to build career value
13) Owen Nolan - at his best, a wrecking ball
14) Wendel Clark - ditto, even more talented, far less career value, very good at what he was good at, very bad at what he was bad at.

I'd take the following in the MLD, in the following order:

15) Ed Jovanovski - earned serious norris consideration at his best, now more solid than ever.
16) Roman Hamrlik - a career #2 defenseman, that is impressive.
17) Patrick Kane - 3-year career, but is a 2nd team all-star and has a career low of 70 points
18) Steven Stamkos - a goal title and on his way to a runner-up too.

I'd take the following in the AAA draft, in the following order:

19) Chris Phillips - shutdown ace
20) Marc- Andre Fleury - very inconsistent, his cup win overrates him but he's been mostly above average

I'd take the following in the AA draft, in the following order:

21) Joe Murphy - good scorer, little else
22) Bryan Berard - unreal offensive instincts, possibly worst defensive defenseman of this generation, particularly after injury

I wouldn't consider these players significant all-time, but if I had to rank them, it would be as follows:

23) Erik Johnson - He's been very good in a short career.
24) Rick Dipietro - He's been very good... in the 2nd half of his short career... when healthy.
25) Gord Kluzak - He's better than his career. Just wrecked by injuries.
26) John Tavares - a very good rookie season, at least.
27) Taylor Hall - I'll take his half season and future uncertainty over the pure mediocrity below.
28) Patrik Stefan - at least had some value as a penalty killer.
29) Brian Lawton - Mediocre at best.
30) Alexander Daigle - inconsistent at the only thing he did well - put up points. Soft, brutal defensively, lacksadaisical, mostly disinterested in hockey.

Derick*

For the active ones, let's assume their careers ended now.

I'd take the following in the All-Time Draft, in the following order:

1) Mario Lemieux - Magnificent.
2) Sidney Crosby - Amazing that he's already the clear #2 here.
3) Alex Ovechkin - Ditto for #3.
4) Eric Lindros - Best peak, absolutely dominant.
5) Joe Thornton - impossible to ignore all the assist titles and linemate elevation.
6)Mike Modano - two-way phenom.
7)Dale Hawerchuk - underappreciated offensive star,
8)Mats Sundin - see above
9) Vincent Lecavalier - more talented than 6-8, but inconsistent.
10) Ilya Kovalchuk - crazy good goalscorer, little else
11) Pierre Turgeon - phenomenal compiler
12) Rick Nash - great peak goalscorer who is now starting to build career value
13) Owen Nolan - at his best, a wrecking ball
14) Wendel Clark - ditto, even more talented, far less career value, very good at what he was good at, very bad at what he was bad at.

I'd take the following in the MLD, in the following order:

15) Ed Jovanovski - earned serious norris consideration at his best, now more solid than ever.
16) Roman Hamrlik - a career #2 defenseman, that is impressive.
17) Patrick Kane - 3-year career, but is a 2nd team all-star and has a career low of 70 points
18) Steven Stamkos - a goal title and on his way to a runner-up too.

I'd take the following in the AAA draft, in the following order:

19) Chris Phillips - shutdown ace
20) Marc- Andre Fleury - very inconsistent, his cup win overrates him but he's been mostly above average

I'd take the following in the AA draft, in the following order:

21) Joe Murphy - good scorer, little else
22) Bryan Berard - unreal offensive instincts, possibly worst defensive defenseman of this generation, particularly after injury

I wouldn't consider these players significant all-time, but if I had to rank them, it would be as follows:

23) Erik Johnson - He's been very good in a short career.
24) Rick Dipietro - He's been very good... in the 2nd half of his short career... when healthy.
25) Gord Kluzak - He's better than his career. Just wrecked by injuries.
26) John Tavares - a very good rookie season, at least.
27) Taylor Hall - I'll take his half season and future uncertainty over the pure mediocrity below.
28) Patrik Stefan - at least had some value as a penalty killer.
29) Brian Lawton - Mediocre at best.
30) Alexander Daigle - inconsistent at the only thing he did well - put up points. Soft, brutal defensively, lacksadaisical, mostly disinterested in hockey.

I wouldn't have Kovalchuk over Nash. Nash is much better defensively, has had inferior linemates and harder opposing teams.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I wouldn't have Kovalchuk over Nash. Nash is much better defensively, has had inferior linemates and harder opposing teams.

Despite all that, it's impossible to say he's had a better career. First of all, just about anyone is much better defensively than Kovalchuk, and I took that into consideration when ranking him, or he may have been a spot higher. Second, Nash is only marginally better at using his linemates, marginally more intense, and only recently became significantly better defensively. He's also had the same pitiful level of team success.

Kovalchuk has a body of work 100 games longer, and in that time he's scored 26% more points per game. It's impossible for me to give Nash an edge over that kind of offensive dominance.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
DiPiero down to #26.
Hamrlik move up to about 17. he was a big scorer early, is very solid on D now.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Lecavalier ahead of Lindros based on what?

The fact that Lecavalier has won a Stanley Cup and Lindros didn't. I know Lecavalier wasnt the main reason why they won the Stanley Cup but when you pick a player first overall the goal is to win the Stanley Cup one day with that Player and Vinny did it with the Lightning and Eric did not. Also Vinny is only half done his career and has led the league in goals once. Even though his numbers are way down they are still better than Lindros's were at the end of his career. By the time Vinny retires he should be near 500 goals, and 1000 points all with the the original team which drafted him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm not a fan of Eric Lindros at all, but I would have him 4th on this list. There is absolutely zero justification for having him below the likes of Vinny Lecavalier and Ilya Kovalchuk.

I'll refrain from criticizing the high placement of guys like Stamkos, because obviously there is a lot of projection involved in your list. (If this was 1994, would you rank Lindros #2?)

You're also underrating guys who turned into very solid but unspectacular defensemen like Jovanovski, Phillips, and Hamrlik. No way should those guys go below Rick Dipietro.

I find it funny you say "too early to tell" about Eric Johnson, considering the high placements of Stamkos and Tavares.

Edit: Fun concept though and I more or less agree with a lot of your rankings.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Anyway, this is my attempt. Guys in between the gaps can go in any order.

Like 70s, I'm pretending their careers ended tomorrow, so Stamkos and Tavares will be much lower than

1. Mario Lemieux

2. Sidney Crosby
3. Alexander Ovechkin

4. Eric Lindros
5. Mike Modano
6. Dale Hawerchuk

7. Joe Thornton
8. Mats Sundin

9. Vincent Lecavalier
10. Pierre Turgeon

11. Ilya Kovalchuk
12. Rick Nash

13. Owen Nolan
14. Ed Jovanovski
15. Chris Phillips

16. Patrick Kane (could have won the Smythe last season)
17. Wendel Clark
18. Steve Stamkos (really too soon to rank him, but I forced myself)

19. Roman Hamrlik
20. Marc Andre Fleury

21. Eric Johnson (solid in a short career)
22. Joe Murphy (mediocre at everything but hung around a long time at least)

23. Bryan Berard
24. Rick Dipietro
25. Gord Kluzak (the what ifs)

26. John Tavares (way too early to rank higher)
27. Taylor Hall (ditto)

28. Alexander Daigle (I have him the best of the worst because he was kinda useful during his brief comeback)
29. Brian Lawton
30. Patrik Stefan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Anyway, this is my attempt. Guys in between the gaps can go in any order.

Like 70s, I'm pretending their careers ended tomorrow, so Stamkos and Tavares will be much lower than

1. Mario Lemieux

2. Sidney Crosby
3. Alexander Ovechkin

4. Eric Lindros
5. Mike Modano
6. Dale Hawerchuk

7. Joe Thornton
8. Mats Sundin

9. Vincent Lecavalier
10. Pierre Turgeon

11. Ilya Kovalchuk
12. Rick Nash

13. Owen Nolan
14. Ed Jovanovski
15. Chris Phillips

16. Patrick Kane (could have won the Smythe last season)
17. Wendel Clark
18. Steve Stamkos (really too soon to rank him, but I forced myself)

19. Roman Hamrlik
20. Marc Andre Fleury

21. Eric Johnson (solid in a short career)
22. Joe Murphy (mediocre at everything but hung around a long time at least)

23. Bryan Berard
24. Rick Dipietro
25. Gord Kluzak (the what ifs)

26. John Tavares (way too early to rank higher)
27. Taylor Hall (ditto)

28. Alexander Daigle (I have him the best of the worst because he was kinda useful during his brief comeback)
29. Brian Lawton
30. Patrik Stefan

Very good list.

I'd swap Modano and Hawerchuk.

Stamkos scoring 51 goals as a 19 year old and currently being 2nd to Crosby in scoring leads me to believe its not too soon.

I'd drop Berard down to about 27. Injuried or not, I don't think he was ever going to be any good. Zero hockey sense for a Dman.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
1) Mario Lemieux - We'll have to wait a bit on this one, but he's probably the lone supra-generational talent in this group.
2) Sidney Crosby - Generational talent? Probably. Will end up being considered a better player than Bryan Trottier. Some extrapolation here, but he already did more than Modano.
3) Alex Ovechkin - A bit of extrapolating again, but see Crosby. I think might move to 2), but he's already quite behind Crosby.
4) Dale Hawerchuk - This is where he belongs skill-wise. Looking only at the numbers, one might put him below Modano - that would be really wrong. Did a lot against tough competition.
5) Mike Modano - Could get passed by some guys behind him. Really consistent player, a guy a team always hopes to draft at 1st overall.
6) Mats Sundin - Nevermind the lack of Cups.
7) Joe Thornton - One that could end up being right above Hawerchuk, and could have been above him at this point. Some negatives about thim.
8) Vincent Lecavalier - Dont judge him according to his salary. Injuries already slowed him down.
9) Eric Lindros - Negatives keeps him lower than Lecavalier forever. Interesting to note that he directly fetched a guy I'd rank 3rd in this list.
10) Pierre Turgeon - Strange to have Lindros and Turgeon so close one to another. Extremely gifted, but some negatives. For all the flak he takes, Turgeon wasn't a prima donna, something he COULD have been.
11) Owen Nolan - Great PF, top contributor in the NHL and could still hold his own a bit after the game changed post-lockout. Both lockouts really hurted this guy.
12) Ilya Kovalchuk - Awesome goalscorer, better than Nash, but too much holes in his game.
13) Rick Nash - Ranked ahead of Stamkos, but pretty positive Stamkos will pass him. A goalscoring title, but ... what else?
14) Steven Stamkos - Wait and see...
15) Patrick Kane - Can get higher. 1st AST, great playoff run...
16) Marc-André Fleury - Tough call between him and the two next D's. Not sure the Pens wins the Cup if Fleury isn't there.
17) Ed Jovanovski - Was better than Hamrlik at this best, and could end up having a career just about as long as Hamrlik (but chances are, he won't).
18) Roman Hamrlik - Whenever you pick a 1300+ games, 600+ points D-Men who is a Top-4 for all his career (and a Top-2 for pretty much all of his career), it cannot be considered a bad pick. Being the all-time worst in D-Mens for +/- in playoffs is a bit annoying, though.
19) Wendel Clark - I know -- a heart and soul guy, and all and all... But career-value isn't that great, and it's not like his peak is absolutely jaw-dropping either. Say what you want about peak and all, Joe Murphy's best two seasons are actually BETTER than Wendel Clark's best two seasons, and nobody thinks Murphy had an awesome peak either. There's so much you can be worth when you're injured. Not to mention that his game had more holes than Andre Racicot had... on a bad game.
20) Chris Phillips - Extremely stable guy, that has a few years ahead. Could end up being in Hamrlik's territory when all is said and done.
21) Joe Murphy - He had a few good seasons, but a complete headcase. Had some really good playoffs, as opposed to...
22) Bryan Berard - Freak injuriy. Still, shown something of a disappointment prior his injury. Not sure he wouldn't have ended up being a PP specialist anyways. Playoff resume is incomplete, but it was really between him and Murphy for 21st : Berard is -10 in 20 games...
23) Erik Johnson - Can't rank him ahead of Berard at this point, but was an above-average player for two seasons, and I don't give any positive value to Dipietro's seasons aside from 03-04 and 06-07. So EJ gets the nod ahead of DP.
24) Rick Dipietro - I know, injuries. Still, he was an above-average starter for only two years. He CAN redeem himself, but it appears unlikely at this point.
25) John Tavares - Can't rank him higher. I see him end up in Nolan's territory. Yeah, not sold on Tavares.
26) Taylor Hall - Can't rank him higher. I can see him end up in Vinny's territory.
27) Alexandre Daigle - There are worst busts than him. Career value higher than everybody below him.
28) Gord Kluzak - Could have ended up being in the Jovanovski zone. If it wouldn't have been of prior injuries, he'd probably rank higher than Daigle. It's not like his problems were unknown at the time.
29) Patrik Stefan - Disappointment; I just prefer his career's to Lawton. Why did he retire in 2007?
30) Brian Lawton - Is he above replacement-value?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Lecavalier is too high in all of the lists imo.

I don't care how many rings he has, to put him ahead of Lindros especially is asinine.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lecavalier is too high in all of the lists imo.

I don't care how many rings he has, to put him ahead of Lindros especially is asinine.

Well, the thing is, Lecavalier is all positive (except his contract, in a cap-world), when Lindros is negative-ridden. And say what you want about Lindros Hart, that one came in a shortened season...

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
TheDevilMadeMe's list is probably the best IMHO, although I'd put Hawerchuk over Modano.

Looking at that list, I wish I could find a compelling argument to move Wendel Clark up a bit higher too. The raw stats don't bear it out, but if I were drafting a forward I'd take him ahead of Pierre Turgeon or Owen Nolan... maybe even Ilya Kovalchuk.

Seanconn*

Define good pick? if this is a strict list of saying who became the best players. or can we take into account "smart draft choices".

look at the 80' draft. Wickenheiser and Babych before 3 Hall of famers? that makes wick almost bad of a choice as daigle.

Patrik Stefan's draft did not have the same amount of talent as the other two mentioned. so I don't think he should be 30 if we are rating what were the best/worst choices.

the fact the sedins were able to get selected number 2 and 3 basically made them the number 1 pick anyway (if you know what I'm trying to get at). 99 draft was a pretty stupid first round. Zetterberg was like round 4 or 5? like wtf. I bet a lot of good players got totally missed that year because the scouts were doing i don't know what.

Daigle takes the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad