Tier 5: Solid Players, disappointing 1OA picks
Johnson
Nugent-Hopkins
Fleury

Tier 6: Poor players
DiPietro

Tier 7: Bust Tier
Yakupov

Tiers are roughly ordered, lots of career projecting involved.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tier 1: Generational players
Crosby
McDavid
Ovechkin

Tier 2: First Ballot HOF Calibre players
Kane

Tier 3: Elite consistent All-Star players, possibly HOF worthy
Stamkos
Kovalchuk
Matthews

Tier 4: All-Star
Tavares
Hall

Tier 5: Good Players
Ekblad
Mackinnon
Nash

Tier 6: Solid Players, disappointing 1OA picks
Johnson
Nugent-Hopkins
Fleury

Tier 7: Poor players
DiPietro

Tier 8: Bust Tier
Yakupov

Tiers are roughly ordered

If Matthews is possibly hof worthy at 19 then how is Nash two tiers below him?

Everyone's obsession with assuming Matthews will be one of the very best in the league right away is weird. What of the highest he gets is Toews numbers without the cup? Or levels off somewhere in there. HOF worthy are ppg for extended periods of time, top goal scorers in the game. Etc.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
If Matthews is possibly hof worthy at 19 then how is Nash two tiers below him?

Everyone's obsession with assuming Matthews will be one of the very best in the league right away is weird. What of the highest he gets is Toews numbers without the cup? Or levels off somewhere in there. HOF worthy are ppg for extended periods of time, top goal scorers in the game. Etc.

Merged tier 3 and 4

Everything I've seen from Matthews suggests to me that he'll be one of the best players in the league for a very long time, and I'm sure anyone who watched the WCOH or the Leafs regularly will agree with me on this. Matthews is not your typical first overall pick. I would be very disappointed if he puts up Toews like numbers, I would expect him to be a similar player to Kopitar, with possibly more overall production.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Merged tier 3 and 4

Everything I've seen from Matthews suggests to me that he'll be one of the best players in the league for a very long time, and I'm sure anyone who watched the WCOH or the Leafs regularly will agree with me on this. Matthews is not your typical first overall pick. I would be very disappointed if he puts up Toews like numbers, I would expect him to be a similar player to Kopitar, with possibly more overall production.

He's in his first season. He should either not be in any lists yet or be ranked conservatively.

You realize Kopitar and Toews only difference is their later seasons production, right?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Doesn't make sense to rank the last 3-4 #1 overalls (Matthews, McDavid, Ekblad, and MacKinnon). It's too early.

From everyone else,

1) Crosby
2) Ovechkin
3) Kane
4) Stamkos
5) Tavares
6) Kovalchuk
7) Rick Nash
8) Taylor Hall
9) Johnson
10) Fleury
11) RNH