Ranking the Best First Overall Picks of the 21st Century

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
McDavid over Ovechkin, Matthews over Stamkos... I don't even.

McDavid was considered a better prospect than Ovechkin, and Matthews was considered a better prospect than Stamkos. Those aren't even remotely controversial positions.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
McDavid was considered a better prospect than Ovechkin, and Matthews was considered a better prospect than Stamkos. Those aren't even remotely controversial positions.

Even based on what you have seen so far from McDavid (who will be 20 in a couple of weeks) you think he will be better than Ovechkin? :amazed:

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Even based on what you have seen so far from McDavid (who will be 20 in a couple of weeks) you think he will be better than Ovechkin? :amazed:

McDavid could very well win more Harts/Art Ross than Crosby/Ovechkin because he'll be healthier (than Crosby) and have less competition. I don't really see another Crosby/Ovechkin on the horizon to compete with. Whether he has better prime/peak play than Crosby/Ovechkin is not something I would bet on though.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews(well he’s the youngest on the list, so I’m going with projection here[did the same with McDavid above], and ya I’m a homer)
Kane
Stamkos
Ovechkin
Tavares
Hall
Kovalchuk
Fleury
Ekblad
Mackinnon
Nash
Nugent-Hopkins
Johnson
DiPietro
Yakupov

This is the classic case of being swept up into prospect hype. Ovi at 5?

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
This is the classic case of being swept up into prospect hype. Ovi at 5?

Aren’t you the one arguing McDavid better than Ovi? It think it’s fair to say Crosby and Kane are on his level or higher. And I wrote a whole line about how Matthews was projected. I love his game, I also said I’m a homer... :laugh:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
McDavid could very well win more Harts/Art Ross than Crosby/Ovechkin because he'll be healthier (than Crosby) and have less competition. I don't really see another Crosby/Ovechkin on the horizon to compete with. Whether he has better prime/peak play than Crosby/Ovechkin is not something I would bet on though.

Which is exactly why, today, you absolutely can not put him lower on any list than McDavid. Sorry but it's Crosby, Ovechkin and everyone else duking it out for position.

More speed, more skill, more vision

More vision I'll give you, speed and skill, nope. And the fact that Ovechkin's physical game blows McDavid, and all the top draft picks out of the water, counts for something in my book. Especially with the butter soft crop of high skilled players we see now in the league.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ovechkin
Crosby

McDavid
Kane
Stamkos

Wont bother after that. I take Ovechkin over Crosby since I prefer a healthy player who might be the best of all time in one department- Wont blame anybody for picking Crosby though.

McDavid is CLEARLY below those 2 as of now, could change obviously. He is below Kane, Stamkos, Kovalchuk etc aswell of course but I see it as very likely(barring injury of course) that he will pass them, Crosvechkin not so much.

(People who rate McDavid over Ovechkin basically bank on that he will go on to have a ALL-TIME great career with multiple Harts, scoring titels and Rockets/More Art Rosses. It could happen but wouldnt bet on it hence such kretins are not to be taken seriously)

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Ovie
4. Stamkos
5. Kane
6. Tavares
7. Hall
8. Ekblad
9. Mathews
10. Kovalchuk
11. Nash
12. Fluery
13. RNH
14. Mackinnon
15. Johnson
16. Dipetro
17. Yak

Before Toronto fans jump all over me Mathews is far exceeding his draft pedigree so far and if he continues to excel could go as high as 6th on my list but need a much larger sample size.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Mathews was not considered better than Stamkos. That's a large exaggeration.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Which is exactly why, today, you absolutely can not put him lower on any list than McDavid. Sorry but it's Crosby, Ovechkin and everyone else duking it out for position.

More vision I'll give you, speed and skill, nope. And the fact that Ovechkin's physical game blows McDavid, and all the top draft picks out of the water, counts for something in my book. Especially with the butter soft crop of high skilled players we see now in the league.

Mcdavid 100% has more speed and skill than Ovi. You must be watching a different NHL if you don't think so.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mcdavid 100% has more speed and skill than Ovi. You must be watching a different NHL if you don't think so.

Today he does, funny how over a decade in the league will slow someone down and change their game.

Ovechkin was the most explosive, fastest skater in the league with insane hands, intelligence, and coordination. He was a solid playmaker and the best goal scorer in the world, scoring from anywhere, deking around anyone and making things happen every shift.

Not sure what NHL you were watching before McDavid.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Today he does, funny how over a decade in the league will slow someone down and change their game.

Ovechkin was the most explosive, fastest skater in the league with insane hands, intelligence, and coordination. He was a solid playmaker and the best goal scorer in the world, scoring from anywhere, deking around anyone and making things happen every shift.

Not sure what NHL you were watching before McDavid.

While that's all fine and dandy, Mcdavid is faster and has better hands than ovechkin ever did.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

I think he was a better prospect than Ovechkin was, he's done more at the same age than Ovechkin had done, and I think it's entirely possible he ends up the better player. Do you think it's ridiculous to think that McDavid can't turn out a better player than Ovechkin? If it was based on career resume, there would be no point in asking about any player after the 2011 draft (hell, maybe even earlier), as no one after that draft can be said to have peaked yet.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Mathews was not considered better than Stamkos. That's a large exaggeration.

As a prospect, I'd say he had more hype. His draft year impressed me more than Stamkos's, anyway (that had something to do with age, yes, but Stamkos wasn't exactly young for his draft year, either). Now, will Matthews ever score 60? I sincerely doubt it, but then again, I'd probably take Anze Kopitar over Steven Stamkos, and Matthews ideally projects to be something similar to Kopitar (with maybe a tad bit more offense). Matthews could easily come up well short of Stamkos as he ages, but there is really no point in the question in the OP (for players after the 2011 draft) if we have to base everything on what they've already proven in the league. If we're talking potential when they were drafted, Matthews over Stamkos is completely reasonable.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Really underselling ovi.

It's "really underselling" Ovechkin to suggest McDavid might have better skill, more speed, or better vision? No, it's not, those are all reasonable positions. It would be underselling Ovechkin to suggest McDavid had a better shot, goal scoring instincts, more size, or more of a physical edge. Those would be ridiculous positions, but McDavid being faster, more skilled, and the better playmaker aren't.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Even that they arent on their level, i would put Laine and Matthews competing with McDavid

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'll
He deserves to be there. He is on pace for 40 goals while being excellent defensively as a rookie center. In his prime he could score 50+

So you're putting Matthews #4 on a 1 year PROJECTION over a Hart Trophy / Conn Symthe / Art Ross / 3x Stanley Cup winner? :laugh:

You can't make this up. People like this really exist.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone with McDavid or Matthews ahead of Kane at this time is absurd

Kane is one of the most accomplished stars of his generation ,, Once McDavid or Matthews start equaling his achievements or surpassing them then we can talk

Same with having McDavid or Matthews ahead of Ovechkin

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Is it fair to compare McDavid/Matthews/Ekblad to guys like Kane/Stamkos/Crosby etc..?

One group has 3 seasons or less and the other has 10+ years. I think its to early to put those 3 on any lists no matter how good they are playing now.

Top 3 is Crosby/Ovechkin/Kane.

The goal of drafting 1st overall is to get a franchise player and your team will become a powerhouse and a winner. Crosby best player in the game 2 cups. Ovechkin best scorer in the game and argument for in history. No cups but Wash has been a powerhouse the time he has been there. Kane 3 cups and best american player of his generation.

If I am a GM and someone said you can have player X and your franchise will win 3 cups with that player playing a huge role I take it 10 times out of 10.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How does anyone have McDavid below Kane? If you're not going to make an educated extrapolation then he shouldn't be in the poll.

Kane has 3 cups and a hart. McDavid is one hell of a player but he has not accomplished anything yet. Who knows maybe this is his peak and he never puts up a better season than what he is doing now. Does McD ever win a hart or cup no one can say its etched in stone as of today.

Its a bit unfair to compare a guy with 2 seasons and guy with 10+ seasons but thats the list. Actual accomplishments outweigh potential accomplishments for some.

936LeafsOilers997

Dec 31, 2015
Crosby
Kane
Ovechkin
McDavid
Stamkos
Tavares
Matthews
Hall
Ekblad
Kovalchuk