Ranking the best 3rd overall Picks of the 21st Century

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Alright boys these will bet diluted and stupid after a while but I think we can get away with another few. As the title says above. Here is my list:

1. Toews
2. Gaborik
3. Duchene
4. Bouwmeester
5. Turris
6. Galchenyuk
7. Draisaitl
8. Huberdeau
9. Horton
10. Strome
11. Drouin
12. Dubois
13. Jack Johnson
14. Gudbranson
15. Barker
16. Svitov

I think Toews wins this by a landslide so the debate lies in the second, third, and fourth place spots. It really kills me to put Drouins so low because he has so much speed and skill but is falling into bust territory in comparison to his pre-draft hype.

Horton is at 9 because before his horrific back degenerative disease and multiple concussions, he was a good player on Boston and Florida.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Interesting List. Drai vs Galchenyuk is a very good debate. I wouldn't trade Drai for Gally though, or for Duchene or Turris.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
What a big difference in the quality of picks at #1-2, as opposed to picks at #3. Only Toews and Gaborik stand out. The rest are either just good 1st liners, or have not proven they can sustain greatness.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Interesting rankings I think Draisaitl, Galchenyuk and Drouin will all rise into the top five by the end of their careers.

In fact, I think Draisaitl and Galchenyuk should be ranked higher than Turris and Duchene by the end of this season. Duchene at #3 is too high.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Sometimes drafts don't have a true #1OA and sometimes there are two. But there are almost never three.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Interesting rankings I think Draisaitl, Galchenyuk and Drouin will all rise into the top five by the end of their careers.

In fact, I think Draisaitl and Galchenyuk should be ranked higher than Turris and Duchene by the end of this season. Duchene at #3 is too high.

I think Duchene is a terrific hockey player and his value is higher than Draisaitl or Galchenyuk. However, like all top prospects, we will have to wait a few years before we can make the prediction. But yes, Galchenyuk and Draisaitl SHOULD pass Turris in a few years

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
[INDENT[/INDENT]
Sometimes drafts don't have a true #1OA and sometimes there are two. But there are almost never three.

Yeah the exception may be the pre-draft hype surrounding the trios of Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon in 2013 and Puljujarvi, Laine and Matthews last year.

936LeafsOilers997

Dec 31, 2015
Toews
Gaborik
Duchene
Bouwmeester
Draisatl
Galchenyuk
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin
Dubois
Horton
Gudbranson
Jack Johnson
Barker
Svitov

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Using my format from the previous thread

Tier 1: Generational players

Tier 2: First Ballot HOF Calibre players
Toews(Low low end of tier 2, personal stats pretty underwhelming.

Tier 3: Elite consistent All-Star players
Gaborik
Bouwmeester
Draisaitl
Galchenyuk

Tier 4: Good Player
Duchene
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin

Tier 5: Solid Players, disappointing 3OA picks
Johnson
Horton (injuries :/)

Tier 6: Poor players
Gubranson

Tier 7: Bust Tier
Barker
Svitov

Abstain: Dubois

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo

Gaborik
Bouwmeester
Draisaitl
Galchenyuk

Duchene
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin

Johnson

Gubranson

Barker
Svitov

Thank you once again for a list I 100% agree with

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

Gaborik
Bouwmeester
Draisaitl
Galchenyuk

Duchene
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin

Johnson

Gubranson

Barker
Svitov

Mostly agree, but I'd move Bouwmeester down to tier 5/6 and Toews to 3.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think Duchene is a terrific hockey player and his value is higher than Draisaitl or Galchenyuk. However, like all top prospects, we will have to wait a few years before we can make the prediction. But yes, Galchenyuk and Draisaitl SHOULD pass Turris in a few years

Its certainly an interesting debate. When Duchene scored 70 in 71 I would have said he was far more valuable than the latter two players. However, he has yet to produce at a level close to that.

Right now, I would say both Leon and Alex have far greater value than Duchene. Both will be top 10 centres in the league when they reach their prime.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Its certainly an interesting debate. When Duchene scored 70 in 71 I would have said he was far more valuable than the latter two players. However, he has yet to produce at a level close to that.

Right now, I would say both Leon and Alex have far greater value than Duchene. Both will be top 10 centres in the league when they reach their prime.

Yeah I didnt explain myself. In terms of trade value I'd say Leon and Alex are close to Duchene but in terms of value to winning hockey game today, I think Duchene has more value.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Why did the OP say Drouin is approaching bust territory? Haven't seen him much this season is he playing badly?

His stats are decent

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Why did the OP say Drouin is approaching bust territory? Haven't seen him much this season is he playing badly?

His stats are decent

I don't see him as bust territory at all. I think he's a solid player right now, but people keep expecting the burst into a star, especially with the tools we see glimpses of (especially in the playoffs last year). I think the drama of last year and not producing like he did to end last season probably has people more down on him than is fair, but I see him as neither a bust or a star at this point, but a legit NHLer at worst.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Abstain: DuBois, Strome

Tiers:

Toews
Galchenyuk
Draisaitl
Bouwmeester

Gaborik
Horton
Duchene
Huberdeau
Drouin

Turris
Johnson

Gudbranson

Svitov
Barker

I don't get why so many people are so high on Gaborik. As a purely offensive player he had like three years where he hit PPG, on top of the fact that he was made of glass his entire career. And he's sucked since he was 30 years old. I'm really not all that impressed by his career.

I also view Toews as a low end 1C, which I see Chucky and Drai as already being. If Toews had kept up his offensive production instead of going down every year, then he'd be a no brainer #1 but he didn't

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
[INDENT[/INDENT]

Yeah the exception may be the pre-draft hype surrounding the trios of Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon in 2013 and Puljujarvi, Laine and Matthews last year.

Duchene in 2009 was getting talk of going first overall, and TSN made it seem like there was a real question of who of Tavares, Hedman, or Duchene was going to be selected by the Islanders.

Though I think that was more TSN trying to create some false hype, much like they have in recent years when despite their best efforts to make up a challenge for the first pick, it always went as expected.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Gaborik
Bouwmeester
Draisaitl
Galchenyuk

Duchene
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin

Johnson

Gubranson

Barker
Svitov

Agree with most of these. Only changes is I'd probably have Duchene in the higher tier, as he's closer to guys like Galchenyuk/Draisaitl. And I'd have Horton in the good player tier, on par with guys like Huberdeau and Turris.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Gaborik
Bouwmeester
Draisaitl
Galchenyuk

Duchene
Turris
Huberdeau
Strome
Drouin

Johnson

Gubranson

Barker
Svitov

Pretty good list.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Mostly agree, but I'd move Bouwmeester down to tier 5/6 and Toews to 3.

Bouwmeester at worst is still an excellent defensive defenseman who eliminates dangerous chances and shots against, while he had a couple of fantastic offensive seasons. He's tier 4 in my opinion because of his decline, but he isn't close to tier 5 or 6.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Abstain: DuBois, Strome

Tiers:

Toews
Galchenyuk
Draisaitl
Bouwmeester

Gaborik
Horton
Duchene
Huberdeau
Drouin

Turris
Johnson

Gudbranson

Svitov
Barker

I don't get why so many people are so high on Gaborik. As a purely offensive player he had like three years where he hit PPG, on top of the fact that he was made of glass his entire career. And he's sucked since he was 30 years old. I'm really not all that impressed by his career.

I also view Toews as a low end 1C, which I see Chucky and Drai as already being. If Toews had kept up his offensive production instead of going down every year, then he'd be a no brainer #1 but he didn't

Please explain how Turris a better defensive player, more responsibilities, played with worse teams, and produces better than Horton is behind him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00