Jan 22, 2008
Just going to go with guys who have played in NHL thus far

1) Boqvist
2) Beaudin
3) Kalynuk
4) Mitchell
5) Stillman

I dont see why some of you think so highly of Mitchell
I’d even put Stillman above Mitchell, and maybe Kalynuk above Beaudin. Kalynuk looks dynamic at times.

Reactions: coolhand

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
How about ranking the young defense in comparison to d the Hawks moved out the last few years?

How do the prospects compare to:

- Maata
-Gustaffson
- Jokiharju
- Dahlstrom
- Gilbert
- Forsling
- Rutta
- Gilbert
- Oesterle
- Kempny

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I take it that you're looking into a crystal ball by having Kalynuk way down your list at this stage. Stillman also, way down - he looks to be moving up in my books.

I'm not a believer in Kalynuk's offensive upside. We shall see however.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
How about ranking the young defense in comparison to d the Hawks moved out the last few years?

How do the prospects compare to:

- Maata
-Gustaffson
- Jokiharju
- Dahlstrom
- Gilbert
- Forsling
- Rutta
- Gilbert
- Oesterle
- Kempny
Hard to compare because some of these guys are full time NHLers, so here's a mix of what they are and what I expect them to become:

Boqvist
Beaudin
Jokiharju
Kalynuk
Forsling
Kempny
Michell
Vlasic
Rutta
Maatta
Phillips
Keiser
Koekkoek
Oesterle
Gustafsson
Stillman
Regula
Dahlstrom
Gilbert

Best to worst from top to bottom. The kids have the ability to skyrocket up the list, but I'm taking some account into draft position in their case (big reason Phillips and Keiser are a little lower). A few of those kids have a lot of upside, but it's hard to say they deserve to go above some proven NHLers until they show a bit more.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think it's premature to rate Kalynuk above Mitchell/Beaudin given he's 2-3 years older than them.
None of these rankings are definitive. Some guys will improve and rise, others will fall. It's not a knock on Mitchell or Beaudin that Kalynuk is being ranked higher on a lot of these, it's a compliment to what Kalynuk has done. Now it's up to him to keep improving, and up to those other two to even the gap.

I will say though that his size is an advantage they'll have to make up elsewhere. 2 inches doesn't seem like a lot, but it can be, especially if you aren't the only smallish defender on a squad. Of course you can play bigger than you are, but currently, Kalynuk plays like he's at least 6ft, while Beaudin and Mitchell have certainly played like they are under that. They'd need to hit the weight room hard in the next few summers to lesson that gap.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Stillman warrants protecting over Zadorov then you trade Zadorov before the draft, no? D value will be a bit depressed due to the draft but I think there are teams that would bite on Z.
Right. So I really don't understand his argument and how he's seemingly implying that Stillman being good is somehow a bad thing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I have preferred Zadorov, but if the org likes Stillman more moving forward, than you try to move Z before the expansion draft for whatever you can get and try to take advantage of the cap difference this summer (more cap dumps, please!).

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think it's premature to rate Kalynuk above Mitchell/Beaudin given he's 2-3 years older than them.

Of course it's premature. This is basically just a temperature check thread, and it's pretty much based on what people have seen recently.

Pretty much any of these guys could breakout without notice, similarly pretty much any could fall flat on their face.

Reactions: Giovi and BobbyJet

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Only way you protect Stillman over Z is if Z comes out with huge contract demand(say 6M for 5-8 years).

Reactions: Esq

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I still like are D being hard to play against and with Z, Stillman and sometimes Murphy, about half is....that said, I don't want to over-pay for any of them and if one has to go, it would be Z.

Reactions: scorehawks

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I have been thoroughly impressed by Kalynuk in his time with us. To me, the thing I have been blown away by with him is how good his first pass is. Its borderline elite right now. His ability to calmly hang onto the puck with his head up, and then effortlessly fire a laser to a forward in stride is impressive. I have also been impressed with how he has handled himself defensively. For a guy I literally had no opinion on at all before this season, he has been a welcomed surprise.

My rankings of the guys I have seen this year:

1) Boqvist: He has taken a step. Barring injuries, I feel pretty comfortable saying he is going to be an elite defenseman. His defense has improved significantly this year, he seems like he is using his body and stick more effectively. Adding that to his already elite offensive ability and you have something special.
2) Kalynuk: See above. Certainly may be passed by some guys below him, but looking at the combination of current level combined with potential, I like him here
3) Beaudin: Was very impressed with him early, but did find him tail off a bit after looking so impressive initially. Love his calmness with the puck, though sometimes he needs to make quicker plays with the puck. Good defensive instincts and positioning, but physically can be overpowered.
4) Stillman: Again, pleasantly surprised. Seemed to be regarded by most to be just a throw in in the deal, but I think there is something there. Good skater, physical. I think what will determine how good he becomes is how he improves (or doesn't) with his puck moving. If he can improve that significantly, the way Murphy has, I think he can be a really valuable defenseman. If not, we are going to be having a lot of the same conversations about him that we are right now with Zadorov.
5) Mitchell: was really excited to see him this year, and frankly I have been disappointed. I certainly hope I am wrong, and there very well may be a lot more there than we have seen so far, but nothing about his game so far has me overly excited. It seems like he is pretty good at a lot of things, but not really good at anything. Honestly I think his best attribute, which I noticed more early in the season, is his ability to get pucks through from the point either by subtly changing the angle, or faking the shot. He hasn't done that nearly as much lately (when he has played), which I am concerned is a confidence thing.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kalynuk is gradually moving up this list. He looks as impressive as Beaudin did early in the season so we'll see if he hits a wall but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Kalynuk has been a very pleasant surprise. Good with his stick and with his body along the boards. Positioning as well. Bo really picked up his game after a slow start. Where is Beaudin? Mitchell hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been great either, but I see great potential. Stillman is still new but I like his physical play and he's a better skater than Z in my view.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
On to round 3 LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.
(theqmjhl.ca)
Chicoutimi_Saguenéens.svg.png
Jimmy Waite's OLD TEAM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad