Ranking of the Best HBO Shows of All Time - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think the OP is showing age by not having OZ and some of the older shows on the list before Private Detective--and it looks like the second season has killed that show. Even a show like VEEP is better then Detective

Great, i'll have Oz next round and let it sit there, getting maybe 1-2 votes, just to make you happy that you can vote for it. I guess everyone will be showing their age when they don't vote for it.

And i've never even seen True Detective.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand this. It looked like virtually every other post in the last page included a suggestion to add Oz. It's perfectly within the realm of possibility that it could beat out True Detective.

If you feel like you already have a good grasp on what is likely to get votes and what isn't, enough to tell people to only pick from a handful every round, then why even bother with the polls? You more or less already know what the results will be, and because of the process, the data compiled won't be credible or allow for anything interesting to happen.

Feels like everyone's getting alot more mileage out of the actual discussions anyways.

Last edited:

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Something tells me this thread won't be as interesting as the last.

My vote still goes to Six Feet Under, but since I personally feel this list is invalidated without it in the top 2, I'm going with Band of Brothers.

Anybody have an opinion on the best episode? They're all so good but "Bastogne" still resonates with me years later and left an indelible mark. It captures the grim realities and how messy, complicated and mortifying warfare is perfectly. Probably one of the most sobering hours of television I've ever watched.

I think 'Breaking Point' is the best episode if you go through the actual BoB book along with memoirs from Winters, Guarnere, Compton, and Malarkey. Thought after reading their material that a lot of small things are more noticeable. Otherwise, I think 'Bastogne' makes sense as the best episode but I really enjoyed them all.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't understand this. It looked like virtually every other post in the last page included a suggestion to add Oz. It's perfectly within the realm of possibility that it could beat out True Detective.

If you feel like you already have a good grasp on what is likely to get votes and what isn't, enough to tell people to only pick from a handful every round, then why even bother with the polls? You more or less already know what the results will be, and because of the process, the data compiled won't be credible or allow for anything interesting to happen.

Feels like everyone's getting alot more mileage out of the actual discussions anyways.

There was literally only 4 posters that mentioned Oz..FOUR. And only 2 of them requested to ADD it.

So yea..."every other post" huh?

And who cares if beats out True Dectective, it probably willl but NEITHER will even come close to winning this round, next round, or the round after...so what does it matter? Just like to argue to argue?

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There was literally only 4 posters that mentioned Oz..FOUR. And only 2 of them requested to ADD it.

So yea..."every other post" huh?

And who cares if beats out True Dectective, it probably willl but NEITHER will even come close to winning this round, next round, or the round after...so what does it matter? Just like to argue to argue?

All on the first page alone:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Oz
What he said.
OZ should have been added before others on the list
Add Oz, Curb, and Rome. There should be more than 5 options per vote, especially as we move along.
I think the OP is showing age by not having OZ and some of the older shows on the list before Private Detective--and it looks like the second season has killed that show. Even a show like VEEP is better then Detective

Err... I said "It looked like virtually every other post", which isn't to be taken literally and is based on glancing at the page. And I count 7 mentions in 25 posts, 6 out of 19 different posters. Not to mention a decent chunk of those total posts/posters were making comments unrelated to making selections. Not sure where you got 2 and 4 from. In any case, that's quite a large percentage to flood a page.

Again, I don't understand why you're hellbent on imposing your own feelings about how it's going to play out and getting snarky when the method is questioned. Why make a poll at all if the voting process is intentionally compromised and the rankings are partially predetermined from your existing whims and assumptions?

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Curious to see when comedies start making their way into the poll -- VEEP, Silicon Valley, Curb and Eastbound & Down would all be among my top 10 HBO shows. Haven't seen more than a handful of episodes of Larry Sanders, but I know it's influence was big.

Regarding the voting and suggestions: I see it as an excuse for discussion. What does the vote really mean anyway? Good jumping off point for those who want to chat about these things though. Of course, I'd love to respond to the last point made in the previous thread, but that's now closed. I suppose there's no reason to drag that Sopranos v. Wire argument into this one ...

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Haven't seen more than a handful of episodes of Larry Sanders, but I know it's influence was big.
Indeed. During it's original run, The Larry Sanders Show was the flagship show of HBO.

A wiki quote covering the basics:

The program has had a marked and long-lasting influence on HBO as well as on television shows in the US and Britain such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock and The Office. The supporting cast includes Janeane Garofalo, Bob Odenkirk, Kathryn Harrold, Scott Thompson and Jeremy Piven.

Regarded as an influential and landmark series, it ranked 38 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time, the only HBO comedy to make the list, and was also included in Time magazine's list of the "100 Best TV Shows of All Time".

The show won 24 major awards, including three Primetime Emmy Awards, five CableACE Awards, four American Comedy Awards, two British Comedy Awards, two Peabody Awards, a BAFTA Award and a Satellite Award. It also received 86 nominations, including 56 Primetime Emmy Awards nominations, five Directors Guild of America nominations, six Writers' Guild of America nominations, six American Comedy Awards nominations, three Golden Globe nominations, three Satellite Awards nominations and a GLAAD Award nomination.

It's not going to win this particular poll, but if you're ranking the "the Best HBO Shows of All Time", it should be there as an option.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think 'Breaking Point' is the best episode if you go through the actual BoB book along with memoirs from Winters, Guarnere, Compton, and Malarkey. Thought after reading their material that a lot of small things are more noticeable. Otherwise, I think 'Bastogne' makes sense as the best episode but I really enjoyed them all.

Speaking of which, thanks for reminding me. I've read the Winters and Malarkey memoirs but never got around to reading Buck's or Guarnere's. I definitely need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad