Ranking of the Best HBO Shows of All Time - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Something tells me this thread won't be as interesting as the last.

My vote still goes to Six Feet Under, but since I personally feel this list is invalidated without it in the top 2, I'm going with Band of Brothers.

Anybody have an opinion on the best episode? They're all so good but "Bastogne" still resonates with me years later and left an indelible mark. It captures the grim realities and how messy, complicated and mortifying warfare is perfectly. Probably one of the most sobering hours of television I've ever watched.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Add The Pacific, and Generation Kill.

Voted. BoB. I think 2 on this list yet to be voted should have been 1 and 2.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

My vote still goes to Six Feet Under, but since I personally feel this list is invalidated without it in the top 2, I'm going with Band of Brothers.

Anybody have an opinion on the best episode? They're all so good but "Bastogne" still resonates with me years later and left an indelible mark. It captures the grim realities and how messy, complicated and mortifying warfare is perfectly. Probably one of the most sobering hours of television I've ever watched.

Moreso than Ned losing his head?!?!

Shame! Shame! Shame!

:D

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Band of Brothers is the only one of the 5 I haven't seen. I should probably get on that.

Six Feet Under gets my vote.

Add: Carnivale (I know this won't get much traction, but I just love this show)

I've always liked Oz, but never thought it was amazing.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

"Why we fight". Makes me cry every time. That and the closing scene we're they're all playing baseball and there's the narration talking about them all going home and being taxi drivers and postmen. I've got a lump in my throat just typing it.

GoT was great for the first 2-3 series but it started losing the plot (literally) from S4

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Add Oz, Curb, and Rome. There should be more than 5 options per vote, especially as we move along.

I have to agree. I'm assuming that Band of Brothers and Game of Thrones will be #3 and 4 based on this poll. But after that, there will be a ton of divide between people that want to vote for Deadwood/Rome/Oz/Curb/Six Feet Under etc, and only 1 of Oz, Curb and Rome could get added after this round, based on how we've been doing it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Add Rome.

As others have echoed, just add more options before we get to the more obscure adds. No need for only 5 choices.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Band of Brothers is the only one of the 5 I haven't seen. I should probably get on that.

Six Feet Under gets my vote.

Add: Carnivale (I know this won't get much traction, but I just love this show)

I've always liked Oz, but never thought it was amazing.

You won't be disappointed I guarantee.:nod:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the OP is showing age by not having OZ and some of the older shows on the list before Private Detective--and it looks like the second season has killed that show. Even a show like VEEP is better then Detective

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Moreso than Ned losing his head?!?!

Shame! Shame! Shame!

:D

If I say no, does that mean I don't have to inflict horror upon everybody by being paraded naked through the streets? :laugh:

I love that Game of Thrones has never been afraid to kill off its major characters and high profile stars but back then I wasn't expecting it at all. The mixture of shock and horror I had was legendary.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
"Why we fight". Makes me cry every time. That and the closing scene we're they're all playing baseball and there's the narration talking about them all going home and being taxi drivers and postmen. I've got a lump in my throat just typing it.

GoT was great for the first 2-3 series but it started losing the plot (literally) from S4

Ah, yeah, that packed one hell of an emotional gut punch from beginning to end. The concentration camp scenes though were an incredibly tough watch for me; just absolutely breaks your heart the evil one has to have in their heart to abuse and neglect other human beings like that.

I think Band of Brothers' final few minutes is my favorite finale to a show other than Six Feet Under. Takes a lot for me to get emotional but the baseball and voice over narration does it for me as well; it's incredibly poignant and profound.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think it's fair to compare a mini series to a TV show.

Six Feet Under is one of my favourite shows ever with literally the perfect ending that still hasn't been topped, imo..but Band of Brothers is........one of the greatest things put on TV.

Went SFU since it's a show and it's not really fair to include BoB imo. I'd also like to wait until GOT ends before I fully judge it.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

The ending of the last episode is great but overall it's probably Bastogne, I also like Day of Days, Breaking Point and Replacements more than the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad