• Ryan Spooner for Ryan Strome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I was just thinking of the MANY transactions (it feels like any time a big move happens, the Rangers are involved) Gorton has made in his Rangers tenure, and I though it’d be fun to see how HF ranks them from best to worst.

I’m gonna start out from the top, and have people suggest what transaction should be added to the next poll.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Where is Keane for Gauthier?

Kidding. It's Brassard for Zibanejad and a 2nd in a walk. (Though I do love that Gauthier acquisition.)

I still remember beating off the critics in the trade thread like I was playing f***ing whack-a-mole. A whole heapin' lot of you didn't like that deal on the day it was made...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Easily Zib. One of the greatest heists.

Even though he wanted to come here, Fox is fantastic.

Skjei for anything is great.

Stepan for ADA alone ended up being very good. If Lias didn’t bust, it would’ve been a home run.

Trouba, Hayes, Strome trades are all roughly equivalent.

McDonagh trade was horrific. Absolute abomination and the worst move of Gorton’s tenure.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Zib trade is best.
The Nash trade, especialy when you factor in the Spooner for Strome swap is incredibly good.
Smith contract is worst

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Zib is the best deal by far. Picking him up from a declining Brassard and then flipping the pick for Smith was pretty good. The Smith extension is definitely something not aging well, but you have to respect him for what he’s done in Quinn’s time here.

The next best, IMO, is Panarin signing. It seems like he was always gonna come here, but he’s been the best acquisition since Jagr. Might be the first 100 point season in Rangers land in years.

The worst of the ones listed I’d have to say is the Trouba deal. Pionk, IMO is okay, but defensively was a bit off and Ville Heinola is looking incredibly solid for the Jets. Trouba is having an up and down year. Lately has picked it up some, but loses the puck too much for my liking. Hoping Gorton could get rid of that contract later on. Feel Trouba will not be the same player in 3 or 4 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Great idea for a thread!
I know most are gonna say Zibby but I love the chess like strategy Gorton made by getting Boston to “throw in” Lindgren because he knew he was gonna find a way down the road to pair up the gold medalist with his teammate Fox.
Maybe we could rate these choices? Instead of picking just one?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It’s funny but I don’t think anyone is gonna pick the trouba trade. Right now that could be one of the worst lol.
I mean McDonagh could net us a real good RHD in Nils. Trouba right now is costing us 8 million plus and McMichael. Wake up Jacob we need you down the stretch

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Fox and Panarin would have both been Rangers with most NYR GM’s... They both wanted NY.

Most GM’s would not have pulled off Brassard for Zbad +. That’s easily been Gortons best move imo.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Stepan for ADA alone ended up being very good. If Lias didn’t bust, it would’ve been a home run.

McDonagh trade was horrific. Absolute abomination and the worst move of Gorton’s tenure.

that could change if Nils becomes a bonafide nhl dman and Trouba continues to be meh.
The trouba trade would then become much worse.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Nils Lundkvist hasn’t played an NHL game yet. He looks promising but slow down. Howden and Hajek have looked horrific in their NHL games. Likes really atrocious, should be career AHLers. Namestnikov is a useless throw away player that we gave too much money. Even if Lundkvist becomes a solid NHLer, I highly doubt he has the combined value of Miller and McDonagh.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Great idea for a thread!
I know most are gonna say Zibby but I love the chess like strategy Gorton made by getting Boston to “throw in” Lindgren because he knew he was gonna find a way down the road to pair up the gold medalist with his teammate Fox.
Maybe we could rate these choices? Instead of picking just one?
I'm gonna do a series of threads ranking them all (well, any relatively noteworthy moves, at least) from best to worst

Reactions: bl02

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Only the McDonagh trade disappointed. The rest have been brilliant — though the Z trade has obviously been the most brilliant of all.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

McDonagh trade is not the worst move of Gorton's tenure. In chronological order:

1. The Eric Staal trade when it was obvious the team just didn't have it that year and we were lined up for a first round matchup with the Penguins for months when the entire world knew they were going to romp their way to a Cup

2. Not trading Yandle that deadline

(Though these two haven't really overly affected us due to how many futures have been acquired since)

3. Smith extension

4. Not firing AV the second we lost Game 6 against Ottawa. By far his biggest mistake.

5. Signing Shattenkirk

6. Unnecessarily including Miller in the McDonagh trade and not just trading him separately for picks instead of Namestnikov. We could be the proud owner of that shiny VAN 1st round pick.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Nils Lundkvist hasn’t played an NHL game yet. He looks promising but slow down. Howden and Hajek have looked horrific in their NHL games. Likes really atrocious, should be career AHLers. Namestnikov is a useless throw away player that we gave too much money. Even if Lundkvist becomes a solid NHLer, I highly doubt he has the combined value of Miller and McDonagh.
We're always f***ing moaning about signing declining players so what exactly would we have done with Miller and McD? Sure a different trade, but the risk is that they walk for nothing or even worse get re-signed. I'll take McD for the upside in Lundkvist with a mega contract on one side and a 3 year ELC on the other.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
We're always f***ing moaning about signing declining players so what exactly would we have done with Miller and McD? Sure a different trade, but the risk is that they walk for nothing or even worse get re-signed. I'll take McD for the upside in Lundkvist with a mega contract on one side and a 3 year ELC on the other.
At this point in time I wouldn’t take back McDonagh for free with the contract he has.

That trade hasn’t been Gorton’s best move, but look at the results for Tampa - they got a declining, overpaid D and an enigma at forward who figured it out AFTER they traded him to his third team.

I don’t think that trade has been particularly wonderful for either side. If Lundkvist fulfills his potential it probably go downs in the W column for the Rangers, though.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It’s funny but I don’t think anyone is gonna pick the trouba trade. Right now that could be one of the worst lol.
I mean McDonagh could net us a real good RHD in Nils. Trouba right now is costing us 8 million plus and McMichael. Wake up Jacob we need you down the stretch

You're making the assumption the Rangers would have taken McMichael at that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad