• Ryan Spooner for Ryan Strome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Hands down getting Mika and a 2nd for Brassard. That trade changes the course for the franchise going forward. He's a legitimate top line center that you build everything else around. He's the best player the Rangers have had at that critical position since Messier's first go-round. And, you likely have to go back to Jean Ratelle for what Mika is to this team. He's also exactly what the last run and the Jagr's years didn't have - a dominant 1C. When the Rangers win a Cup or two in the next few years, that will be seen as the biggest reason why they did so. The biggest worry coming into the rebuild was getting precisely what Mika is. Even with the Devils winning the lottery twice in the past three years, I don't think they got a player that becomes the physical presence at center that Mika is.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Zib is the best deal by far. Picking him up from a declining Brassard and then flipping the pick for Smith was pretty good. The Smith extension is definitely something not aging well, but you have to respect him for what he’s done in Quinn’s time here.

The next best, IMO, is Panarin signing. It seems like he was always gonna come here, but he’s been the best acquisition since Jagr. Might be the first 100 point season in Rangers land in years.

The worst of the ones listed I’d have to say is the Trouba deal. Pionk, IMO is okay, but defensively was a bit off and Ville Heinola is looking incredibly solid for the Jets. Trouba is having an up and down year. Lately has picked it up some, but loses the puck too much for my liking. Hoping Gorton could get rid of that contract later on. Feel Trouba will not be the same player in 3 or 4 years.

You can't assume he would have been the Rangers' pick. And, with Fox and DeAngelo here, Pionk isn't getting the icetime he currently does in Winnipeg. And the Rangers would lack the physical element that Trouba brings. Too many variables with the deal. Not to mention, it's only his first season here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Has to be Zibanejad.

There's still more hedging on him then there should be, but the guy is entering a rare level in the NHL right now --- a center capable of 40-50 goals, and 90-100+ points. And he's 6'2, 215, and not yet 27 years old.

At the time of the trade, I felt the Rangers were getting the superior player long-term, and one who really wasn't too far behind the guy we traded for him. But almost from day one, that trade was a clear win.

In fact, even outside the spectrum of Gorton's moves, I'd argue that the best Ranger trade this century comes down Zibanejad or McD --- and if Zibanejad can remain healthy and productive, it might not even be a debate that much longer.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Going by how the poll is phrased, Stepan and Raanta for ADA and 7OA is pretty damn close to Brassard and a 7th for Zibanejad and a 2nd.

The fact that we seem to have bungled the pick should not affect the evaluation of the trade as the question is phrased.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
feel like ranking them cause I'm bored

1. Derick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad + 2nd

Easiest decision ever. Good 2C who saw an immediate sharp decline for not only a center, but one that developed into an elite two-way player but ALSO a 2nd!!! I know the 2nd isn't that meaningful but it's just, so so funny to me lol. Full disclosure also, I strongly disliked Zib at the time of the trade and was vocally against it.

2. Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for Tony DeAngelo + 1st

Kinda the diet version of the Brassard trade. We traded a player who, despite how much I liked Stepan, was getting slower and slower in a faster game (which was some serious foreshadowing for his decline). This move was risky and IIRC it was a really divisive move. the 7th overall pick was way more exciting than TDA at the time but with the benefit of hindsight this move was absolute robbery. Tony is probably going to eclipse Stepan's career high as a defenseman and despite making a bad pick in Lias, this was a ballsy grand slam.

3. Adam Fox for Two 2nds

I know the two 2nds made everyone do a double take but I would happily pay them again to get Fox in the NHL a year early. His immediate and rapid progress has honestly put the team in a better position than anyone could imagine.

4. Ryan Spooner for Ryan Strome

Despite what I think of Ryan Strome, this was just absolute value annihilation. Spooner is a horrible player and not even in the league anymore while at the very least Ryan Strome is an NHL player, let alone putting up 50+ points this year.

5. Rick Nash for Ryan Lindgren, Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, 1st.

Grand slam value for a player that probably had no business returning as much as he did. Lindgren is vastly outperforming expectations and we got some use out of Spooner before trading him for Strome.

6. Signing Artemi Panarin to a 7 year, 11.6M AAV deal

Idk how much Gorton actually played a role in getting Artemi to reject better offers, and how much of it was him just wanting to be a Ranger, but god dammit I love this man and he is worth every penny and then some.

7. Brady Skjei for a 1st

I think we sold low on him but I think it's good value especially for not taking any money back.

8. Neal Pionk + 1st for Jacob Trouba

This trade was really really good when it was made but Trouba's play this year is making me homicidal and I'm really hoping he figures it out soon.

9. Kevin Hayes for Brendan Lemieux + 1st

Fine value. Good trade. Not much to say.

10. Trading up for K'Andre Miller

Honestly, I don't know much of anything about him. It's here because I have no real comment.

11. Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller for Brett Howden, Libor Hajek, Vlad Namestnikov, 1st, 2nd.

Alright. I didn't expect Segachev. I didn't expect primo primo assets. But, wow, I couldn't have asked for a more hair-pulling player return if I tried. Howden is the worst forward on the team and one of the most overmatched and useless players I've seen on the Rangers in a long time. Libor Hajek has not had one good NHL game in his career. Namestnikov was whatever and we got a whatever return for him. The only useful piece in this whole haul was the 1st that became Nils. I agree that for McDonagh we weren't going to do much better in terms of equivalence. I've just never expected to personally dislike the players that came back so heavily. I actively hate this trade and consider it an unambiguous loss unless Nils is excellent at the NHL level.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The poll choices look like a delicious fancy restaurant menu. The two trades with Wpg and the TB trade are really the only mehs.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
McDonagh trade is not the worst move of Gorton's tenure. In chronological order:

1. The Eric Staal trade when it was obvious the team just didn't have it that year and we were lined up for a first round matchup with the Penguins for months when the entire world knew they were going to romp their way to a Cup

2. Not trading Yandle that deadline

(Though these two haven't really overly affected us due to how many futures have been acquired since)

3. Smith extension

4. Not firing AV the second we lost Game 6 against Ottawa. By far his biggest mistake.

5. Signing Shattenkirk

6. Unnecessarily including Miller in the McDonagh trade and not just trading him separately for picks instead of Namestnikov. We could be the proud owner of that shiny VAN 1st round pick.

The Eric Staal trade was actually a good one on paper. We gave up very little for a 31-year old Staal who went on to have 28 and 42 goal seasons the next two years following the trade. He could have and should have been a very useful player for us, but AV completely used him wrong. Staal was basically used as a third line grinding winger instead of the impact goal-scoring Center and possession monster that he is, and he's proven that he's still all those things with the Wild.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Number 1 is Zibby trade. 2 would be the Fox trade (it's early but I wanted this guy for a while and he's showing why) and 3 is probably the Stepan deal

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
My first pick was the Brassard for Zibs trade, no brainer. A fairly close 2nd is the Nash trade. Think about this, we traded a clearly past his time Nash for Lindgren, Spooner who was later swapped for Strome, and a first that was packaged for Miller. Thats a steal people. The end result is Lindgren, Strome, and K'andre Miller for Nash who retired after that season. Gorton has done some damn good things since he has been here. Not perfect, but what GM is.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
feel like ranking them cause I'm bored

1. Derick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad + 2nd

Easiest decision ever. Good 2C who saw an immediate sharp decline for not only a center, but one that developed into an elite two-way player but ALSO a 2nd!!! I know the 2nd isn't that meaningful but it's just, so so funny to me lol. Full disclosure also, I strongly disliked Zib at the time of the trade and was vocally against it.

2. Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for Tony DeAngelo + 1st

Kinda the diet version of the Brassard trade. We traded a player who, despite how much I liked Stepan, was getting slower and slower in a faster game (which was some serious foreshadowing for his decline). This move was risky and IIRC it was a really divisive move. the 7th overall pick was way more exciting than TDA at the time but with the benefit of hindsight this move was absolute robbery. Tony is probably going to eclipse Stepan's career high as a defenseman and despite making a bad pick in Lias, this was a ballsy grand slam.

3. Adam Fox for Two 2nds

I know the two 2nds made everyone do a double take but I would happily pay them again to get Fox in the NHL a year early. His immediate and rapid progress has honestly put the team in a better position than anyone could imagine.

4. Ryan Spooner for Ryan Strome

Despite what I think of Ryan Strome, this was just absolute value annihilation. Spooner is a horrible player and not even in the league anymore while at the very least Ryan Strome is an NHL player, let alone putting up 50+ points this year.

5. Rick Nash for Ryan Lindgren, Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, 1st.

Grand slam value for a player that probably had no business returning as much as he did. Lindgren is vastly outperforming expectations and we got some use out of Spooner before trading him for Strome.

6. Signing Artemi Panarin to a 7 year, 11.6M AAV deal

Idk how much Gorton actually played a role in getting Artemi to reject better offers, and how much of it was him just wanting to be a Ranger, but god dammit I love this man and he is worth every penny and then some.

7. Brady Skjei for a 1st

I think we sold low on him but I think it's good value especially for not taking any money back.

8. Neal Pionk + 1st for Jacob Trouba

This trade was really really good when it was made but Trouba's play this year is making me homicidal and I'm really hoping he figures it out soon.

9. Kevin Hayes for Brendan Lemieux + 1st

Fine value. Good trade. Not much to say.

10. Trading up for K'Andre Miller

Honestly, I don't know much of anything about him. It's here because I have no real comment.

11. Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller for Brett Howden, Libor Hajek, Vlad Namestnikov, 1st, 2nd.

Alright. I didn't expect Segachev. I didn't expect primo primo assets. But, wow, I couldn't have asked for a more hair-pulling player return if I tried. Howden is the worst forward on the team and one of the most overmatched and useless players I've seen on the Rangers in a long time. Libor Hajek has not had one good NHL game in his career. Namestnikov was whatever and we got a whatever return for him. The only useful piece in this whole haul was the 1st that became Nils. I agree that for McDonagh we weren't going to do much better in terms of equivalence. I've just never expected to personally dislike the players that came back so heavily. I actively hate this trade and consider it an unambiguous loss unless Nils is excellent at the NHL level.

I agree with most of this. I'd probably swap some things around after the 5 spot, but nothing that I am too zealous about.

I will disagree about number 11 though.

I think if we're doing to celebrate trading Skjei for the cap space it created, then you have to factor in the $12m we'd be paying for McD and Miller right now, instead of how we're currently allocating the money. Then, on top of that, you have two young players who could be a potential pair in the NHL, including a guy who is emerging as an upper tier prospect in the sport, Brett Howden, and Henriksson. That's fair value.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Where is Keane for Gauthier?

Kidding. It's Brassard for Zibanejad and a 2nd in a walk. (Though I do love that Gauthier acquisition.)

I still remember beating off the critics in the trade thread like I was playing f***ing whack-a-mole. A whole heapin' lot of you didn't like that deal on the day it was made...
Folks were uber emotional at losing Brassard. We really had so few dynamic offensive weapons that losing Brassard the playoff hero, who was great for us but by no means even close to elite, was a real kick in the nuts. I knew nothing of Zbad but knew he had a better than even chance to become as productive as Brassard who was about to hit the downswing of his career. PLUS the second? LOL

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Folks were uber emotional at losing Brassard. We really had so few dynamic offensive weapons that losing Brassard the playoff hero, who was great for us but by no means even close to elite, was a real kick in the nuts. I knew nothing of Zbad but knew he had a better than even chance to become as productive as Brassard who was about to hit the downswing of his career. PLUS the second? LOL

The weird thing was, I can remember trying to tell people that there wasn't a hell of a gap between the two at the time and that the gap was only likely to shrink with time. Granted that time happened to be weeks rather than years, but I always felt confused by the reaction.

Personally, I still don't think Zibanejad gets quite the level of love that he should. It's gotten better, but this is essentially one of the dream players this fan base has been craving for years.

Outside of knocking people on their ass and putting up higher PIMs, I'm not sure there's much else this board would've wanted throw under the hood.

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Zib trade probably best trade in history..Will have to wait a few more years to know for sure.
The worse was Trouba
To not have the foresight to see tda working it out, fox on the way and lundvist in the wings is just bad future planning
Now we pay an average #4 D 8 mil
Meanwhile losing a first and a #6 D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad