Prospect Info: Ranking #11

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would rate Agozzino higher than Smith personally. He is a better AHL player now and was much more impressive as a rookie. He is also very feisty, good defensively, and utterly fearless. I could see Agozzino playing a 4th line role in the NHL someday.

Yeah, if anyone has earned a look with his play in the AHL it's Agozzino.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I think he would end up in the top 5 for sure. At least 3rd.

That's too high.

For me, he'd be somewhere around 10 by Bourke and Sgarbossa depending on you value those two.

I think he's being overrated because he was a former first round pick. He had a good senior season playing alongside Johnny Hockey. He's not even as good as Andy Miele was and look at how much trouble Miele is having cracking an NHL roster.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
That's too high.

For me, he'd be somewhere around 10 by Bourke and Sgarbossa depending on you value those two.

I think he's being overrated because he was a former first round pick. He had a good senior season playing alongside Johnny Hockey. He's not even as good as Andy Miele was and look at how much trouble Miele is having cracking an NHL roster.

I'm counting on his NHL ready status compared to the rest of our prospects. Doesn't have the ceiling of say Bigras or Bleakley but is more NHL ready then most of our prospects. Edges out Elliott in my opinion.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I'm counting on his NHL ready status compared to the rest of our prospects. Doesn't have the ceiling of say Bigras or Bleakley but is more NHL ready then most of our prospects. Edges out Elliott in my opinion.

He has good size and offensive instincts but his skating still needs a lot of work still. I watched him a lot this year because I went out of my way to watch Gaudreau. If you're ranking by NHL readiness I wouldn't be so sure he'd beat out Agozinno or Sgarbossa. Hishon and Elliott are definitely more NHL ready than Hayes and I'm ignoring the fact that they have actually suited up in the NHL.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That's too high.

He didnt play on that line all year. He started off with different linemates and still did over a point per game. He averaged just .19 less ppg without Johnny Hockey.

"Good"? That's quite the understatement, no? Dude had an amazing season.

Hayes doesn't have any physical deficiencies like Miele. Miele is very small, and it sounds like he isn't the skater that most small NHLers are.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
He didnt play on that line all year. He started off with different linemates and still did over a point per game. He averaged just .19 less ppg without Johnny Hockey.

"Good"? That's quite the understatement, no? Dude had an amazing season.

Hayes doesn't have any physical deficiencies like Miele. Miele is very small, and it sounds like he isn't the skater that most small NHLers are.

They played 28 games together out of 40. I remember it was in the middle of the Holy Cross game that the line was thrown together.

Hayes has always been a pass first guy as his shot has never been great. Heavy, yes, accurate? No. The talent is there, don't get me wrong, but there's no doubt Gaudreau played a big part in his breakout season. Before the line of Hayes, Arnold, and Gaudreau was formed, Hayes had seven goals in 13 games. In the last 28 games (1 game overlap because I'm counting half of the HC game) he had 20 goals. The reason for the uptick in goal scoring (he had 17 total in the three years before - 4,7, and 6) was indeed because of Gaudreau.

Okay, maybe the Miele comparison was bad because they're two totally different players but the point I was trying to make was having a breakout year in their senior seasons isn't a good indicator of anything. It's like junior players breaking out in their final OA season. If his senior year was anything like his three years prior would Chicago have even signed him?

I don't know where I'm going with this. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing the sense in getting excited over another Brad Malone. I'll gladly eat crow though if the Avs do sign Hayes and he proves me wrong by earning a spot in the top-9.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's more likely that Hayes is a Stoa than a stud, but there is close to zero risk in signing him.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
They played 28 games together out of 40. I remember it was in the middle of the Holy Cross game that the line was thrown together.

Hayes has always been a pass first guy as his shot has never been great. Heavy, yes, accurate? No. The talent is there, don't get me wrong, but there's no doubt Gaudreau played a big part in his breakout season. Before the line of Hayes, Arnold, and Gaudreau was formed, Hayes had seven goals in 13 games. In the last 28 games (1 game overlap because I'm counting half of the HC game) he had 20 goals. The reason for the uptick in goal scoring (he had 17 total in the three years before - 4,7, and 6) was indeed because of Gaudreau.

Okay, maybe the Miele comparison was bad because they're two totally different players but the point I was trying to make was having a breakout year in their senior seasons isn't a good indicator of anything. It's like junior players breaking out in their final OA season. If his senior year was anything like his three years prior would Chicago have even signed him?

I don't know where I'm going with this. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing the sense in getting excited over another Brad Malone. I'll gladly eat crow though if the Avs do sign Hayes and he proves me wrong by earning a spot in the top-9.

His highest goal total before the year was 7. He was at 7 goals in just 13 games this year before being put on the other line. He matched his career best in just 13 games without Gaudreau, but his scoring is because of Gaudreau? Yes he did better with Gaudreau, but he was clearly having a breakout season regardless.

So his Sr year means nothing? If you say so. Dude clearly has some talent though, otherwise he would not have been a 1st round pick. When a player like that has a breakout year I assume they are finally putting everything together and growing into their potential. It's not like we are talking about some undrafted guy who suddenly had a great year.

Malone never came close to Hayes production in college.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
His highest goal total before the year was 7. He was at 7 goals in just 13 games this year before being put on the other line. He matched his career best in just 13 games without Gaudreau, but his scoring is because of Gaudreau? Yes he did better with Gaudreau, but he was clearly having a breakout season regardless.

So his Sr year means nothing? If you say so. Dude clearly has some talent though, otherwise he would not have been a 1st round pick. When a player like that has a breakout year I assume they are finally putting everything together and growing into their potential. It's not like we are talking about some undrafted guy who suddenly had a great year.

Malone never came close to Hayes production in college.

I'm not saying ignore his senior season, I'm saying don't be so quick to assume he'd be our top prospect when he hasn't even played one game of professional hockey or shown up to one training camp.

I never said Hayes wasn't talented. In fact, I said the opposite.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Who is assuming he would be our top prospect?

Look at the original post I was responding to.

Hayes is an intriguing prospect but you can't deny he has underperformed his first round status. Pronman didn't even have him in his recent top-100.

If it weren't for his senior season (thanks to his insanely high 19.8% shooting percentage) would there even be this much talk?

I don't know if it's the slow summer and the lack of NHL related news but there are a lot of others already penciling him into their top-6 or top-9 slots. I know we hate this word around here, but do you think he can sustain that shooting percentage at the next level? He's not particularly physical for someone who is 6'4 and 210 so I can't see him as an energy player.

To me, he's a boom/bust prospect or like someone else said, a Ryan Stoa. I wouldn't mind his addition to our prospect pool because of how weak it is but I'm pretty apathetic about whether or not he signs with the Avs.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
On the flip side; yes, he was a Hobey Baker finalist, yes, he showed that he was able to overcome three years of disciplinary problems and a serious knee injury and be one of the top college hockey players, and he is pretty good defensively and even filled in as a defenseman when the occasion called for it. So he's not a bad prospect but if you set expectations too high for him be prepared to be disappointed.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Look at the original post I was responding to.

Hayes is an intriguing prospect but you can't deny he has underperformed his first round status. Pronman didn't even have him in his recent top-100.

If it weren't for his senior season (thanks to his insanely high 19.8% shooting percentage) would there even be this much talk?

I don't know if it's the slow summer and the lack of NHL related news but there are a lot of others already penciling him into their top-6 or top-9 slots. I know we hate this word around here, but do you think he can sustain that shooting percentage at the next level? He's not particularly physical for someone who is 6'4 and 210 so I can't see him as an energy player.

To me, he's a boom/bust prospect or like someone else said, a Ryan Stoa. I wouldn't mind his addition to our prospect pool because of how weak it is but I'm pretty apathetic about whether or not he signs with the Avs.

The guy said 'top5 for sure, probably top3'. How is that saying he is our top prospect?

2nd leading scorer in the NCAA and a Hobey Baker finalist isn't living up to being drafted in the 1st? Some kids just take longer to reach their potential. I see this argument all the time in college football recruiting. People claim a kid does not live up to his ranking if he doesn't produce as an underclassman. But some kids jut don't blossom or get it until their final year and they turn into really good pros.

Of course there wouldn't be his much talk. But he did have an amazing Sr season. It happened. That is undeniable. It makes no sense to ask what if. I mean, what if he had 4 years of this production? Of course then he would be evn more proven and more highly regarded.

I thnk most are penciling him in on future rosters or with a precautionary thought of him being NHL ready. It's more about how his skill set would fit as opposed to saying ths is what the lineup will be.

Aren't most prospects boom or bust? What's the % of even 1st rounders making it to the NHL?

We are talking about a prospect. Of course expectations should be tempered. 99% of prospects should be treated that way. He still sounds like a damn good prospect to have though.

Last edited:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
At this point we're just going around in circles so I'll save both of us the trouble.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

We are talking about a prospect. Of course expectations should be tempered. 99% of prospects should be treated that way..

This is all I'm trying to say. Sorry if I didn't make myself more clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad