Prospect Info: Ranking #11

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
1. Chris Bigras D, Owen Sound (#32 overall 2013) (105 votes, 78.10%)
2. Conner Bleackley C, Red Deer (#23 overall 2014) (81 votes, 54.32%)
3. Duncan Siemens D, Lake Erie (#11 overall 2011) (83 votes, 54.22%)
4. Joey Hishon C, Lake Erie (#17 overall 2010) (66 votes, 77.27%)
5. Stefan Elliott D, Lake Erie (#49 overall 2009) (73 votes, 79.45%)
6. Sami Aittokallio G, Lake Erie (#107 overall 2010) (62 votes, 50.00%)
7. Troy Bourke C, Prince George (#72 overall 2012) (59 votes, 44.07%)
8. Will Butcher D, University of Denver (#123 overall 2013) (58 votes, 31.03%)
9. Mason Geertsen D, Vancouver (#93 overall 2013) (55 votes, 43.64%)
10. Kyle Wood D, North Bay (#84 overall 2014) (42 votes, 52.38%)

1297510372801_ORIGINAL.jpg

Please continue voting to rank our prospects using your own criteria to determine order. New polls every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and this one will run through until Monday. Please post who you would like to be added to the next poll. Thank you for voting!

Also, please keep voting so we can reach the goal of finishing a top 20 ranking. We can't do that without as much participation as possible.

Added Alexis Pepin

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thought it would be interesting to share the last two years' top 10 for comparison sake. Last year the polling only went through 10 so that's why I chose this time to post the comparison.

1. MacKinnon
2. Barrie
3. Siemens
4. Elliott
5. Bigras
6. Hishon
7. Sgarbossa
8. Pickard
9. Aittokallio
10. Heard

1. Elliott
2. Siemens
3. Hishon
4. Barrie
5. Gaunce
6. Sgarbossa
7. Aittokallio
8. Olver
9. Pickard
10. Heard

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Add Spencer Martin.

Voting Sgarbossa as I believe he still has the potential to be a complimentary player in the top 9. I'm not sure Colin Smith will be anything more than a TJ Hensick ahl top scorer type player, had an impressive rookie year, but I'd like to see more.

Heard would be my next vote as I think he's a surefire 4th line player in a few years.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Smith for me again. Believe he has the potential to become a nice surprise addition to our NHL squad in two years.

Add: Beaupre.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Add Corbett, next best defensive prospect IMO

Voting Smith here. At this point it is crapshoot if any of them make the NHL. I just really like him as a player and I know his skills might never overcome his size for the NHL. It wasn't so much that he had a good rookie year scoring wise, which was good enough for 3rd on the team even though his playmaking skills were wasted until he was united with Schumacher. Its that he was given a a big role that not many of the younger players received. He was always in the top 6, PK, PP, involved in all situations. I think there is still some potential there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gotta vote bossy cause I like him the most Of the group of near identical small but surprisingly chippy skilled Centers we're going to be hoping might one day be able to hang along on Dutchy/MacK's wing. Though Bourke and Smith seem to have more heat behind them given that bossa had a much less shiny season than his previous few.

If he works for it he can replace Malkin one day only with new and enhanced skills, like the ability to complete a pass well, and sometimes do Downie **** leading Patrick to trade him for someone even awesomer.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm surprised people see this much distance between Aittokallio and Pickard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm surprised people see this much distance between Aittokallio and Pickard.

Personally, I think Aitto is way too high on this list. He should be more in the 8-10 range with Pickard in the 10-12 range.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Sgarbossa is the most talented of the bunch today. Probably won't translate compared to Magyar though I suspect.

As for Aitto/Pickard, it's simple. We only expect one of them to make the NHL probably and neither have shown starter instincts quite yet. So odds are the best one of the two will be the most successful while the other goes off and has a long road ahead of them. It may not be the best way to judge our prospects, but I'm sure people see it that way.

Add Martin.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Magyar (and the rest of the newest draft) get way too much praise here.

In my opinion.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
2 voted in the top 10 is too much praise?

It was more how Magyar (who has shown nothing yet and is a 4th round pick) gets so many votes over someone like Smith who had a great season in the AHL. I can understand that he has potential and can't yet show it.

I just find it odd. Nothing more. Move along.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It was more how Magyar (who has shown nothing yet and is a 4th round pick) gets so many votes over someone like Smith who had a great season in the AHL. I can understand that he has potential and can't yet show it.

Great is a vast overstatement of the season he had. Solid is a better description. There are many way to look at prospects. Personally, likelihood of making the NHL plays a big factor for me. Smith isn't very likely to make the NHL. He is a top 6 or bust sort that doesn't have a backup skill set. Magyar has the body and will to withstand a grinding/energy role. Even if he doesn't develop offensive skills, he has other skills that he can use to get to the NHL. If Smith doesn't score at a high level, he isn't a NHL player.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Smith looked like a career AHLer to me. A really good one i predict, but AHL nonetheless. He has decent skills, but he is undersized and not enough skill or skating ability to make up for it at the NHL level. He didnt stand out like a Gallagher or Zuccarello. He was also a 7th round pick, as a 19 year old no less. His AHL stats are nothing to brag about. And his scouting report seems really iffy on NHL potential because of his size. I didn't even notice the blazing speed mentioned in the reports.

Magyar's scouting report is promising though. His NHL potential seems to be mentioned quite a bit. Sounds like he plays a complete game, which I love. The more versatile the better. Easier to make a roster as well when you can play different roles. And it doesn't sound like he has any major weaknesses, like skating, that would hold him back. He was only a 4th round pick and it sounds like he could have gone higher (ranked as high as the 2nd, and he was compared to Bleackley who is a 1st rounder).

I'm not predicting either will make the NHL, but it seems to me like Magyar has a better chance. And as far as ceiling goes, I could see both being in the top 6 but think star quality is out of the question.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I like Smith. I understand the concerns and it's true he might be topped out at the AHL but so could a few others I won't get into at the moment. He scored over 100 points in his final WHL season. I know that doesn't mean it translates to pro scoring but there is some potential there. He was the 3rd leading scorer for the Monsters last season even if the numbers themselves don't standout he was one of the better forwards on a team as a rookie. He's a playmaker and he needs someone that can actually score goals to play with. I expect to see an improvement in numbers for him this season. For his size it's kind of incredible he was the only player to play every single game last season and for 3 straight years in junior. So I think he can work hard and have a good year. We'll see about NHL potential but at this point the players left are a bit of a crap shoot. Playing decent at the AHL level should count for something.

I like Magyar too, he's my second favorite draft pick from the recent class. I think he can do really well in his second OHL season. There is just such a limited sample size on him, we'll have a much better idea on him this time next year. I feel the same about Wood. I really like what I've heard about him and am willing to significantly upgrade him in my perception and rankings, I just want to see a second CHL season first. I think it's great the Avs took some guys a bit unknown but with potential upside. Getting even one diamond in the rough would be huge.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would rate Agozzino higher than Smith personally. He is a better AHL player now and was much more impressive as a rookie. He is also very feisty, good defensively, and utterly fearless. I could see Agozzino playing a 4th line role in the NHL someday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad