Rank your TOP 10 Goalies in NHL?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was one of his biggest critics early, but Corey Crawford is an elite goalie, and is still pretty underrated, it seems.

Since 2012-2013, among goalies that have played more than 150 games, Crawford is:

#4 in SV%
#4 in GAA

He has two Stanley Cups to his name, and has won two Jennings trophies. Has a career SV% of .918 and GAA of 2.34.

He is quietly amassing a very impressive career.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
everyone has schneider ranked higher than quick, but he never starts for team USA....

Not to bag on him too much, but he is a little overrated imo.

Torotorella was coach and did you see the way they put that team together? They went with Quick because of Playoff experience.

My list is Price is #1, Lundy is in the top 3, and the rest is a interchanging crapshoot.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hey Glenn, I know the zombie apocalypse began in 2010 and Schneider had only played 10 NHL games by that point, including 8 BRUTAL one's in 08-09. But in the real world, it's 2016 and I just don't think this is the case at all.

I would absolutely put Quick in the top 10, just probably on the lower end. As far as Dubnyk and Murray and some of these other names being ranked ahead of him, hell no. Murray has only played 37 games in the NHL, that's including 21 playoff games. I think we need a larger sample for him. Dubnyk has been an average goaltender for most of his career. He's having a hot start to this season and had a hot 14-15 season. He also had a terrible season just the year before that. He's not as bad as he was that year, nor as good as he's started this year or 14-15.

And LOL @ calling Crawford Niemi 2.0

Crawford has already had 3 seasons that were as good or better than Niemi's best season in the league. He was also much stronger in both of his cup runs than Niemi was in his. Niemi has also been one of the worst playoff goaltenders of the decade, while Crawford has been one of the best.

Understatement. Niemi had the best team in the league when he won the cup and yet posted just average numbers in the playoffs, which by today's standards and his overall play dictates well below average to even bad.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Schneider is insane. Easily a top-3 goalie in the league.

I can't believe the Canucks traded him for Horvat, and then proceeded to lose Luongo anyway LOL :yo:

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
1. Price
2. Schneider
3. Crawford
4. Holtby
5. Lundqvist (getting a little shaky lately, but he gets the benefit of the doubt.)
6. Quick
7. Rask
8. Fleury
9. Luongo
10. Bobrovsky

That's my list.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I was one of his biggest critics early, but Corey Crawford is an elite goalie, and is still pretty underrated, it seems.

Since 2012-2013, among goalies that have played more than 150 games, Crawford is:

#4 in SV%
#4 in GAA

He has two Stanley Cups to his name, and has won two Jennings trophies. Has a career SV% of .918 and GAA of 2.34.

He is quietly amassing a very impressive career.

my initial reaction was to jump down your throat and disagree but recently he has played amazing (including last year) he is certainly more than a chris osgood as he was compared to early. However Elite is not a word that i would use to describe crawford. I'm all aboard the crawford is a top 5 goalie train, heck i'll gladly be the conductor, but elite he is not.

Crawford will never get the respect he deserves until he plays anywhere but chicago. but if you were Corey why would you ever go anywhere else.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
my initial reaction was to jump down your throat and disagree but recently he has played amazing (including last year) he is certainly more than a chris osgood as he was compared to early. However Elite is not a word that i would use to describe crawford. I'm all aboard the crawford is a top 5 goalie train, heck i'll gladly be the conductor, but elite he is not.

Crawford will never get the respect he deserves until he plays anywhere but chicago. but if you were Corey why would you ever go anywhere else.

It's all semantics. I wouldn't put Crow in the group of Price, Lundqvist, or Quick ... but he's knocking at the door. And using only the small sample from this year, he's right there with the best.

Crawford's not pleasing to the eye. He's a positional goalie who does everything right. Some of his saves are awkward ... but he's almost always there because of his positioning ... and he always steers his rebounds to benign areas. And mentally, there is no one stronger than Crawford. How many goalies can struggle in the playoffs ... forget ... and regain their confidence in the same playoffs? Crawford's is also good with the puck now which takes pressure off his Dmen.

Crawford's really good. Nationally, he's never been able to shake his weak glove / "goes down too early" reputation. But he's a much different goalie than 3 years ago.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's all semantics. I wouldn't put Crow in the group of Price, Lundqvist, or Quick ... but he's knocking at the door. And using only the small sample from this year, he's right there with the best.

Crawford's not pleasing to the eye. He's a positional goalie who does everything right. Some of his saves are awkward ... but he's almost always there because of his positioning ... and he always steers his rebounds to benign areas. And mentally, there is no one stronger than Crawford. How many goalies can struggle in the playoffs ... forget ... and regain their confidence in the same playoffs? Crawford's is also good with the puck now which takes pressure off his Dmen.

Crawford's really good. Nationally, he's never been able to shake his weak glove / "goes down too early" reputation. But he's a much different goalie than 3 years ago.

He should, without a doubt, be included in the conversation with Quick. Their career PO numbers are virtually identical... as are their career regular season numbers. Quick has more games played/started, but otherwise... pretty much identical. Their careers are almost mirror images of each other.

Basically, Crawford is a top 5 goalie, and it shouldn't be debatable. He's STILL vastly underrated, and likely will continue to be, so long as he's wearing a Hawks uniform, which is perfectly fine with me. Let other fans keep thinking Crawford is the weak link on the Hawks. :laugh:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He should, without a doubt, be included in the conversation with Quick. Their career PO numbers are virtually identical... as are their career regular season numbers. Quick has more games played/started, but otherwise... pretty much identical. Their careers are almost mirror images of each other.

Basically, Crawford is a top 5 goalie, and it shouldn't be debatable. He's STILL vastly underrated, and likely will continue to be, so long as he's wearing a Hawks uniform, which is perfectly fine with me. Let other fans keep thinking Crawford is the weak link on the Hawks. :laugh:

Maybe I'm still underrating Crow too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Understatement. Niemi had the best team in the league when he won the cup and yet posted just average numbers in the playoffs, which by today's standards and his overall play dictates well below average to even bad.
Well a lot of people talk down Niemi's 2010 cup run as being the ''Worst'' a starting goalie has ever played in a cup winning campaign, which I don't think is true either. Fleury just the year before was even worse when the Pens won the cup in 09. Jonathan Quick was also on par with 2010 Niemi during the 2014 playoffs when he and the Kings won the cup.

But overall, Niemi is absolutely the least sexiest cup winning starter name in quite a while. Fleury has had a better career and made it to the cup finals the year before, only losing but playing much better than the year he won the cup. And Quick won the Conn Smythe in 2012 and has had a couple of solid playoffs. Only time Niemi gave me confidence in the playoffs was in the 2013.
Schneider is insane. Easily a top-3 goalie in the league.

I can't believe the Canucks traded him for Horvat, and then proceeded to lose Luongo anyway LOL :yo:

And then had to sign Ryan Miller and got Markstrom out of it, although Markstrom has at least finally looked like an NHL goaltender since last year. Miller is okay, he's just old now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad