Rank your team's defensemen based on their play this season

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1. Rielly - Has been great.

2. Gardiner - Has been very good, especially offensively.

3. Dermott - Has been terrific albeit in very sheltered minutes.
4. Hainsey - Complementary partner for Rielly, huge PK minutes.

5. Zaitsev - Struggled in too difficult minutes, confidence issues
6. Borgman - Played well in very sheltered minutes.

7. Carrick - Still can't translate his AHL game to the highest level. Overrated due to contextually driven shot metrics.
8. Polak - Polak.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
:wild

1. Suter
2. Dumba
3. Spurgeon
4. Brodin
5. Seeler
6. Prosser
7. Olofsson
8. Murphy
9. Rielly
10. Belpedio
11.Soucy
12. Quincey

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Victor Hedman
Ryan McDonagh
Anton Stralman
Mikhail Sergachev
Dan Girardi
Slater Koekkoek
Jake Dotchin
A high school player
A traffic cone
Me
Andrej Sustr
An empty net
Hedman playing for the other team
Braydon Coburn

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Victor Hedman
Ryan McDonagh
Anton Stralman
Mikhail Sergachev
Dan Girardi
Slater Koekkoek
Jake Dotchin
A high school player
A traffic cone
Me
Andrej Sustr
An empty net
Hedman playing for the other team
Braydon Coburn

Has he really regressed that far?

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Has he really regressed that far?
Yeah. He was fine to start the season then suffered a minor injury and when he came back he was awful. Still hasn't bounced back. I'm not optimistic.

He must have bet some money on Rinne winning the Vezina because all he does is stand there in front of Vasi on the PK.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah. He was fine to start the season then suffered a minor injury and when he came back he was awful. Still hasn't bounced back. I'm not optimistic.

He must have bet some money on Rinne winning the Vezina because all he does is stand there in front of Vasi on the PK.

Hmm.... sounds similar to Gudas, in a way. Gudas comes back from that suspension and was basically neutered. He barely hits, and now just does a good job screening whatever scrub we have in net. Hope he and Coburn get back to playing decent hockey. Normally, playoff Coburn makes up for mediocre regular season Coburn.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hmm.... sounds similar to Gudas, in a way. Gudas comes back from that suspension and was basically neutered. He barely hits, and now just does a good job screening whatever scrub we have in net. Hope he and Coburn get back to playing decent hockey. Normally, playoff Coburn makes up for mediocre regular season Coburn.
I hope so. I'll always have the memory of his Game 7 goal against the Red Wings in 2015 so at least there's that.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
:pens

Maatta
2nd half of the season Letang
Schultz
Dumo

Cole (Rest in Columbus)
Ruhwedel

Hunwick

1st half of the season Letang

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
EJ wasn't better than Barrie.

I think there's definitely an argument for one over the other, and Barrie stepped up big time when EJ was down, but EJ is vastly better defensively (not that Barrie is terrible by any means). EJ is an every situation guy.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
1. Seth Jones - Norris caliber season. Took a huge stride towards being one of the top defensemen in the league.

2. Zach Werenski - Has played most of the season injured (upper body) and will need surgery in the summer. Despite this, he managed to not take a step backwards. Tied Jones at 16 goals and has worked heavily to advance his defensive play.

3. Ryan Murray - Once again missed a good amount of time with injury. Jackets record with him in the lineup is significantly better than when he was out. Without a doubt CBJ’s #3 guy and a luxury to have him on the 2nd pairing.

4. Markus Nutivaara - Also missed time but is showing that he is a quality 2nd pairing PMD. Defense is still a bit weak but his skating, passing, and ability to jump up in the play are high end. Cemented himself with Murray on the 2nd pairing.

5. Ian Cole - A quality TDL pickup who is like Jack Johnson but a bit better. Has great chemistry with Savard and brings excellent physicality, experience, and some scoring. Played mostly on the 3rd pairing.

6. David Savard - He is a 2nd pairing guy who is pushed down to the 3rd pairing by Jones and Murray/Nutivaara. Had rough start to the season but picked it up when Cole was acquired.

7. Dean Kukan - Spent most of the time in the AHL but when called up played well. He has an NHL future eventually either with Columbus or somewhere else.

8. Jack Johnson - Looked slower this season. Veteran guy who plays next to Murray or Nutivaara when one of them is out. Will be a UFA and probably won’t be back in Columbus.

9. Scott Harrington - He is a #7 guy on an NHL squad or a top end guy in the AHL. Didn’t get much of a look this season. Has a bit more to give, perhaps.

10. Taylor Chorney - Acquired just before the TDL. Was a healthy scratch for all but the last (meaningless) game. Is a warm body.

CBJ also have some promising prospects who are expected to play at the NHL level in 2 years or so. They are Gabriel Carlsson (AHL) and Vladislav Gavrikov (KHL).

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
1. Seth Jones - Norris caliber season. Took a huge stride towards being one of the top defensemen in the league.

2. Zach Werenski - Has played most of the season injured (upper body) and will need surgery in the summer. Despite this, he managed to not take a step backwards. Tied Jones at 16 goals and has worked heavily to advance his defensive play.

3. Ryan Murray - Once again missed a good amount of time with injury. Jackets record with him in the lineup is significantly better than when he was out. Without a doubt CBJ’s #3 guy and a luxury to have him on the 2nd pairing.

4. Markus Nutivaara - Also missed time but is showing that he is a quality 2nd pairing PMD. Defense is still a bit weak but his skating, passing, and ability to jump up in the play are high end. Cemented himself with Murray on the 2nd pairing.

5. Ian Cole - A quality TDL pickup who is like Jack Johnson but a bit better. Has great chemistry with Savard and brings excellent physicality, experience, and some scoring. Played mostly on the 3rd pairing.

6. David Savard - He is a 2nd pairing guy who is pushed down to the 3rd pairing by Jones and Murray/Nutivaara. Had rough start to the season but picked it up when Cole was acquired.

7. Dean Kukan - Spent most of the time in the AHL but when called up played well. He has an NHL future eventually either with Columbus or somewhere else.

8. Jack Johnson - Looked slower this season. Veteran guy who plays next to Murray or Nutivaara when one of them is out. Will be a UFA and probably won’t be back in Columbus.

9. Scott Harrington - He is a #7 guy on an NHL squad or a top end guy in the AHL. Didn’t get much of a look this season. Has a bit more to give, perhaps.

10. Taylor Chorney - Acquired just before the TDL. Was a healthy scratch for all but the last (meaningless) game. Is a warm body.

CBJ also have some promising prospects who are expected to play at the NHL level in 2 years or so. They are Gabriel Carlsson (AHL) and Vladislav Gavrikov (KHL).
Pretty much how I'd have it.

Although Cole and Savard has turned into quite the shutdown pairing. I'd still rather have Jones/Murray out there but they bring back the toughness that Savard and Johnson had last season. And the fact that Johnson has been forced to a depth role is fantastic for the Jackets D.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
My ratings are based on their play, as well as my expectations. Note: NONE of our d played well or had what I would consider a great season. They were porous, and our coverage was terrible all year in general. Could be due to our forwards not being so great... idk.

Manson - His mistakes seemed to not turn into GA very often. Started scoring this year.
Hampus - World beater sometimes, completely invisible other times.
Fowler - He forgot how to play d this year pretty much. Still the best puck mover probably.
Pettersson - A nice surprise. I expect good things from him going forward. Skates and moves the puck well. Small samples size this year so I can't build up too much contempt yet. Probably a #4/5.
Montour - Filled the void left by Vatanen, but not the Vats of old, he filled the void left by the past 2 seasons Vats. Spotty coverage mixed with occasional offense.
Beauchemin - Didn't expect much, but man he's slow. At least I know he will stick up for teammates when the time comes. Can't throw body checks anymore though, as he never gets over to the forward in time.
Traffic cone
Dead possum

Bieksa - It is as if he TRIES to lose. His play is comical. He would barely be effective in the AHL playing the way he does. And it's not an issue of his speed or ability. He literally just makes the worst decision he can in every instance every time he's on the ice.

This is why I can't take Anaheim fans seriously on this board. How can anyone watch these games and rank Traffic Cone above Dead Possum? I know the term is thrown around a lot here, but its Dead Possum AINEC. Take of your Cone-tinted glasses and watch the games!

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
:blues

1) Alex Pietrangelo
2) Colton Parayko
3) Joel Edmundson
4) Vince Dunn
5) Robert Bortuzzo
6) Carl Gunnarsson
7) Jordan Schmaltz
8) Jay Bouwmeester

9) Chris Butler