Rank your Canadian teams 2017-18

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One of the most understated things about the Jets is they finally ponied up for some depth pieces.

They still had injuries but they maintained a decent pace through them because they always had a decent back up option to survive with for stretches.

They had extra 2nd liners on the 3rd line that could move up, guys like Perreault and Armia on the 4th line at times. That plus their young guys learning good system play and poof

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
One of the most understated things about the Jets is they finally ponied up for some depth pieces.

They still had injuries but they maintained a decent pace through them because they always had a decent back up option to survive with for stretches.

They had extra 2nd liners on the 3rd line that could move up, guys like Perreault and Armia on the 4th line at times. That plus their young guys learning good system play and poof
That’s cause we didn’t give up anything in the expansion draft other than a few spots, where we stilled nabbed KV.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That’s cause we didn’t give up anything in the expansion draft other than a few spots, where we stilled nabbed KV.

We ripped off Vegas in that one. Bet they wish they had Lowry or Myers on their team right now instead of that higher pick. Lol!

Moved down to not lose a roster player, and possibly pick an even better player in the draft...

Reactions: Jmiller1

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
There's a clear top 3 here:

Calgary - One of the best defenses in the league and lots of young talented forwards
Edmonton - McDavid
Ottawa - Lost Methot, but still have a very deep roster

The rest are fairly interchangable, except maybe Vancouver. Here's how I rank them:

Montreal - Lost a few key players on their roster. The new players they brought in aren't as good.
Winnipeg - Improved their roster where they needed to, but Laine & Sheifele had high S%. Still, if they stay healthier this year they will make the playoffs.
Toronto - I can see them regressing this year. Potential sophomore slumps for Matthews/Nylander/Marner.
Vancouver - They are slowly getting worse. Need a rebuild.

MANY people......including me..........got the order wrong for this one.

But THIS post is hilarious.

:D

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
It is interesting to see how opinions change over a single season. On page 1 of this thread the Jets were almost universally called the 6th best team. On the latest page they are mostly accepted as #1 by a wide margin. Parity, Injuries, following the crowd (rather than doing your own research), and looking through the rear view mirror all come into play as to why people have been wrong. It will be fun to see what happens next year.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Overall I'm not unhappy with my forecast

Overall I have it
Oilers - McDavid and strong enough everywhere a good team needs to be strong
ranked 1 actual 4
Like most I didn't see the Oilers being so bad. They dropped from having some of the best goal tending and defensive play in the NHL to some of the worst. Don't rule out a fast turn around if they get good goal tending next year.

Jets - The most Depth and overall talent. Goaltending is still a question until proven otherwise, but if they get strong goaltending they will be the top Canadian team next year
ranked 2 actual 1
I was sooo tempted to put them at #1, but I just couldn't justify it with questions in goal while Edm seemed to have the best C in the NHL to go along with a good #1D and great goal-tending. Had I known about Edm falling I'd have had them at #1, but they still exceeded my expectations, in goal and overall.

Leafs - Best coaching, really good forwards and goaltending. Just missing that true #1D man
Ranked 3 actual 2.
The were what I thought they would be. It was more the Oilers falling rather than the Leafs moving up that put them at 2 instead of 3

Montreal - age and scoring will be issues. If they can score enough they will be pretty good but they lack the upside of the teams above
ranked 4 actual 6
I knew scoring would be an issue. I didn't expect goal-tending issues or Weber to miss the whole year. They can get back to being a bubble team if they are healthy but with a couple teams in their division on the rise I don't see that getting them into the playoffs

Flames - Lots of talent both at F and D. I'm not sold on Smith and they lack the elite player at key positions than the Oilers/Leafs/Jets have.
ranked 5 actual 3
I underestimated Smith a bit and probably the Flames a bit as well. Most of their rise was Edm and Mtl falling but if they can get goal-tending they are a pretty good team.

Sens - lacking in talent overall. Karlsson and Anderson are fantastic but they can only carry a team so far.
Ranked 6 actual 7
Near where I though they would be, possibly a bit worse as Anderson declined.

Vancouver - Basically the worst team at every position. They are working some young talent into the lineup but lack elite young players.
oops

ranked 7 actual 5

Boesser gives them that elite young player I thought they may be missing. Too bad he plays W not C or D though. Boesser made them better than I thought they would be.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They have the most pressure of all Canadian teams due to the media exposure and demand, with a very young core and they smashed expectations.

I don't know about that.

Judging by about half the posts in this thread, the Leafs were expected to be better than the Jets.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I was wrong about Edmonton and Calgary. I'll be right about Montreal and Ottawa is they both don't make the playoffs I'll be right about Vancouver if they are fighting for a playoff spot all year.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I said are. not WERE.

How the Jets do in 2010?

Wow, they are today! Congrats on winning the November 20th Stanley Cup.

Some fans are acting very "nouveau riche". I know you haven't been here before, but at least act like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad