Rank the Top Winterhawks

Hawkeye17

Oct 25, 2010
Rutkowski

Forgot to put Rutkowski on my post above:

He's had a bit of an up and down season so far. I believe he bulked up during the off season and it seems to have affected his skating somewhat. He has decent size now and can play a more physical game, but his mindset is still of a offensive defensman. Has good stickhandling skills and a decent shot and has had a good season, but needs to change his game to be successful at the next level. Would like to see him commit to physical defense first and let the offense come secondary.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'll try to answer a few of the questions that people have had regarding some of the hawks. I've seen most of their homes games and have been watching them for years, so I have a pretty good feel for most of their players. First will be my rankings that the original poster asked about:

Johansen - Can dominate when he's on his game. Needs more strength but will get that as he matures and has the most upside of the 4 mentioned.

Niederreiter - Very solid 2-way player with a decent offensive touch and some grit. May never be a superstart, but will have a long, productive career.

Bartschi - Does everything well, shifty, quick, good release and can play physical enough to be effective. Has adapted well to the NA game and will be a solid pickup by any NHL team.

Rattie - Likes to dangle and show his offensive flair, needs to focus on back checking and getting to the greasy areas of the ice, but has enough skill and intelligence to make it at the next level as a solid 2nd line forward.

My own personal favorite: Joe Morrow. Super smooth skater, under rated defensively and has a cannon of a shot. Most people have him ranked as early 2nd round, but I think someone will like him enough to draft late in the 1st.

Now to answer a few of the questions about players:

Mac Carruth: Been fairly inconsistent this year. Started off playing great and stopping everything in sight, then went through a string of games where he was letting in a few soft goals and not controlling his rebounds. Has played better lately and is making the stops he's supposed to make and the occasional highlight reel save. Still needs to improve a lot to be NHL ready, but has the swagger and confidence to do it if he gets the proper coaching and works at it.

Brett Ponich: In my opinion has shown the biggest improvement of any of the returning Hawks this season. Big improvement in his skating from previous seasons. I was not a Ponich fan before this year, but his play has won me over. Is a big, physical d-man that is willing to do whatever his team needs of him, which also shows that he is growing into his leadership role also. May not be the best choice for captain on this particular Hawks team, but is playing really well this season.

William Wrenn: Has quietly stepped in and done a very nice job for the Hawks. Has chipped in a few points and is a +16 through 10 games. How this guy was the #7 d-man and a -7 on DU is beyond me. He has been put in as a shutdown d-man against other teams top lines and has been solid. Not spectacular at any one thing, but knows his role and has been playing quite well.

appreciate the insight here!

Portland is my fav WHL team, so I like checking in on them as much as I can, especially with Blackhawk property Carruth on the team. You obviously have seen much more of Portland this year then I have, but with Carruth I really havent seen the inconsistency that much compared to last season. Others I talk to feel he has improved a ton over last year, and his positioning is much sharper this year as well.

Carruth was and is a very athletic goaltender, but from what I have seen, it seems he has calmed down a bit in the crease and keeps his balance and positioning much more closer to guard then before. But as I said, this is on a smaller sampling then what you have seen, but Carruth has impressed me, and from what I have heard the Chicago brass as well.

As for William Wrenn, that is a mystery altogether. He was one of my fav players two years back, and I have been waiting for him to start showing off that talent many of us saw a little bit ago. I know he has battled through some injuries and ice time issues on a deep Denver team, but this kid has talent.

I am glad to see that he is stepping up in the WHL and for Portland. Though he will never been mistaken for a Barrie or Ellis, this kid is as solid in his own end as it gets. He can contribute to the rush and has an excellent outlet pass...I am sure you are seeing glimpses of this, but you fans will enjoy Wrenn for the next few seasons I promise you.

What a hell of a team Portland has, it is simply loaded from top to bottom. They are my Memorial Cup pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad