Rank the Top Winterhawks

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Johansen and Nino were picked #4 and #5 respectively last year.
Rattie and Bartschi won't probably get that high but are able to outscore them this year.
In what order would you rank these four Prospects in a long term view and why?

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
Rattie and Bartschi won't probably get that high but are able to outscore them this year.

Both Rattie and Bartschi are not in the same mold as Johanson and Nino. Besides pure hockey skill, Nino and Johanson bring size, and a very well rounded game with them. Moreover, now in their 2nd year, they're getting the most coverage from opponents as everybody knows how dangerous they are - and yet they still produce more than a point per game.

Rattie and Bartschi both miss size and physicality, although Bartschy brings some feistyness. I see them a step behind Nino and Johanson. Bartschy could become a sniper maybe, in the mold of think Jeffrey Skinner from CAR. As for Rattie, I really don't like his game. He's super exiting, but if you watch him over a while, you'll realize that he's a one-trick pony, doesn't do that well when pressured, and is not reliable in the backchecking.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
Oh, and as you said rank, here we go:

1. Johanson -> vision, hands, goalscoring, passing, hand-eye, size, physicality, complete package - franchise center

2. Niederreiter -> wicked release, size, feisty, physical, goal-scoring thread, not afradi to go to the dirty areas - First line winger

3. Bärtschy -> incredible hands, speed, wicked wrister, underrated playmaking abilities, feistyness and okay on the backcheck - best case :First line sniper / worst case: bust

4. Rattie -> Fast and with strong deke moves, good shot, but not versatile and agile in his actions. Backchecking needs improvement. Does NOT florish under pressure. - best case: Incosistent 2nd liner / worst case - bust

LeafsFan4281

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto

all i can say is that johansen is gonna be ridiculous and i wish the leafs had him to set up and play with kessel

Nisku

Aug 5, 2010
Add Morrow and Ross

Ranking the Winterhawks

1) Johanson - The kid will be a star with Columbus.

2) Morrow- Game is very well rounded, with Ponich injuried, he has really stepped up his game. will be in the top four of the NHL one day.

3) Rattie- Very smart player and yes exciting- LOL on the the pressure comment as all the kid has done is scored big goals for the team (Game 7 last year) Top 6 forward.

4) Bartschi- Great work ethic, never takes a shift off, will need a playmaker to make him a top 6 forward, but see him a energy guy at the next level.

5)Niederrieter- Hot and Cold and really dependant on Johanson. Nino reminds me alot of Brendal some years back and has peak

Ranking the Winterhawks

2) Morrow- Game is very well rounded, with Ponich injuried, he has really stepped up his game. will be in the top four of the NHL one day.

3) Rattie- Very smart player and yes exciting- LOL on the the pressure comment as all the kid has done is scored big goals for the team (Game 7 last year) Top 6 forward.

4) Bartschi- Great work ethic, never takes a shift off, will need a playmaker to make him a top 6 forward, but see him a energy guy at the next level.

5)Niederrieter- Hot and Cold and really dependant on Johanson. Nino reminds me alot of Brendal some years back and has peak

Derek Pouliot says hiiiii! AND SOO DOES ROSS.

loool at nino number 5 yeahh no thats not gunna fly.

he goes third before RATTTTIE.

1Theeejohannnn
2Svenderbender
3Niederreitinghiswayovercrosbee.
4.Morrrrrowwwwwforrrdahoes.
5Ratitouille
6pouliottttyoooobro.
7ROSSSLIKEABOSS

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
Ranking the Winterhawks

lol

What does 'has peak' mean?

If your trying to say he has peaked, then that makes no sense. He was one of the youngest draft eligible players last year, and is on pace to improve his point totals this year by around 10pts.

But points aren't really what Nino is even about, it is everything else that he brings to the table.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think it's way too early to tell. Johansen has all the potential in the world, but boy can Columbus ruin a kid.

Neidderreiter hasn't dominated this season like I expected him to. That said, he hasn't really disappointed either.

Rattie and Bartschi are question marks. I am skeptical of Bartschi's size.

Ross's success depends on what role he tries to fill.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've read that Nino has played a majority of this season on the 2nd line, without Johansen. If true, I wonder how that has affected his production?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If true, I wonder how that has affected his production?

None, if any. Neiderreiter's production in the NHL won't depend on how he does without a player like Johansen. It'll depend on how he does against NHL level defensemen.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've read that Nino has played a majority of this season on the 2nd line, without Johansen. If true, I wonder how that has affected his production?

i don't think that's true. Joh has been with Nino and Ross, while Bartschi and Rattie have been together.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Blades vs. St. Mikes in Mem Cup Final.

You heard it here first.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
None, if any. Neiderreiter's production in the NHL won't depend on how he does without a player like Johansen. It'll depend on how he does against NHL level defensemen.

I didn't mean NHL production, WHL.

And I stand corrected apparently, according to Renegade.

Nino is on a 40+ goal pace, having missed time early and due to WJC's.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
i don't think that's true. Joh has been with Nino and Ross, while Bartschi and Rattie have been together.

Well it is true. Bärtschy and Rattie started alongside Johanson.
Bärtschy said in an interview at the WJC, that he expects to be put back on the 2nd line AFTER the WJC, now that the Hawks have acquired Cunningham....

4Isles4*

dont forget nino started in the NHL and played in the worlds so he has not played as many games as the others...

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
In my opinion this is how they will turn out
Ryan Johansen
Nino Niederreiter
Sven Bartschi
Ty Rattie

Though Bartschi and Rattie are outproducing, they don't have as much tools as Nino or Johansen to succeed at the pro game. Bartschi does have a bit of feistiness in his game which could be developed to help him become a solid player.

Johansen has shown tremendous progression, his puck possession and on-ice intelligence and work ethic are what's going to make him a potential 1st line centre to 2nd line center at the next level.

Nino on the other hand is stuck with the Islanders and I'm not sure how that will affect his development. He could range anywhere from 1st line winger to 3rd line winger depending on his development.

Rattie and Bartschi are more top 6 forwards or busts, both with tremendous potential in my opinion if their game could be more rounded.

NHL33*

What do you think of Rutkowski?

As an Avalanche fan I have a vested interest in responses to Rutkowski. What I have briefly read has not been very positive but it is also may not be a worthy source.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I've been keeping an eye on Baertschi all year, and I really like him as a potential 10-20 pick for a team that wears blue and gold and that will likely be picking in that range...

I've also been wondering about Brett Ponich. Can someone who sees the Hawks often let me know how Ponich is doing as the Hawks' captain? I like the fact that he's been put into a leadership role; how is he handling it?

And has he been working on his skating? IMO, that's really all that kept him for being kept with the Blues for a cup of coffee at the start of this season.

Hawkeye17

Oct 25, 2010
Rank the Hawks

I'll try to answer a few of the questions that people have had regarding some of the hawks. I've seen most of their homes games and have been watching them for years, so I have a pretty good feel for most of their players. First will be my rankings that the original poster asked about:

Johansen - Can dominate when he's on his game. Needs more strength but will get that as he matures and has the most upside of the 4 mentioned.

Niederreiter - Very solid 2-way player with a decent offensive touch and some grit. May never be a superstart, but will have a long, productive career.

Bartschi - Does everything well, shifty, quick, good release and can play physical enough to be effective. Has adapted well to the NA game and will be a solid pickup by any NHL team.

Rattie - Likes to dangle and show his offensive flair, needs to focus on back checking and getting to the greasy areas of the ice, but has enough skill and intelligence to make it at the next level as a solid 2nd line forward.

My own personal favorite: Joe Morrow. Super smooth skater, under rated defensively and has a cannon of a shot. Most people have him ranked as early 2nd round, but I think someone will like him enough to draft late in the 1st.

Now to answer a few of the questions about players:

Mac Carruth: Been fairly inconsistent this year. Started off playing great and stopping everything in sight, then went through a string of games where he was letting in a few soft goals and not controlling his rebounds. Has played better lately and is making the stops he's supposed to make and the occasional highlight reel save. Still needs to improve a lot to be NHL ready, but has the swagger and confidence to do it if he gets the proper coaching and works at it.

Brett Ponich: In my opinion has shown the biggest improvement of any of the returning Hawks this season. Big improvement in his skating from previous seasons. I was not a Ponich fan before this year, but his play has won me over. Is a big, physical d-man that is willing to do whatever his team needs of him, which also shows that he is growing into his leadership role also. May not be the best choice for captain on this particular Hawks team, but is playing really well this season.

William Wrenn: Has quietly stepped in and done a very nice job for the Hawks. Has chipped in a few points and is a +16 through 10 games. How this guy was the #7 d-man and a -7 on DU is beyond me. He has been put in as a shutdown d-man against other teams top lines and has been solid. Not spectacular at any one thing, but knows his role and has been playing quite well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad