Rank the potential Finals by your preference

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Knights-Caps please. Caps fans want a chance to ***** slap McPhee by beating the Knights. Then again, OV has tormented the Jets feanchise for years.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Jets vs. Caps would be the most entertaining Cup Final in many years.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Knights-Caps please. Caps fans want a chance to ***** slap McPhee by beating the Knights. Then again, OV has tormented the Jets feanchise for years.
That's an interesting angle I hadn't considered. Are Caps fans generally pissed at McPhee for building a team that goes (at least) to round 3 in his first year as GM, but couldn't get his team there in the last 20 years, or do they more recognize that he built the core that has finally gotten the Caps back there?

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
That's an interesting angle I hadn't considered. Are Caps fans generally pissed at McPhee for building a team that goes (at least) to round 3 in his first year as GM, but couldn't get his team there in the last 20 years, or do they more recognize that he built the core that has finally gotten the Caps back there?
He built the core but his moves on defense were bad. In the Ovechkin era we started with guys like Morrison and Poti. Not bad moves. They arn't going to win you cups but they could get you to the playoffs. Carlson and Alzner were good draft picks. Mike Green was really good. But then he never acquired a top 4 defensemen except maybe Scott Hannan. He goes cheap and gets guys like Joe Corvo and Roman Hamrlik. When his defenses were a mess, his go to quote was "We like our team". Then we got the famous Forsberg trade, which was a move to save his job.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

Well, David Poile was the main architect of the team (with support from scouts, of course) that went to the SCF in GMGM's first year there. McPhee came in and iirc Esa Tikkanen was his only major acquisition that season.

He built the core but his moves on defense were bad. In the Ovechkin era we started with guys like Morrison and Poti. Not bad moves. They arn't going to win you cups but they could get you to the playoffs. Carlson and Alzner were good draft picks. Mike Green was really good. But then he never acquired a top 4 defensemen except maybe Scott Hannan. He goes cheap and gets guys like Joe Corvo and Roman Hamrlik. When his defenses were a mess, his go to quote was "We like our team". Then we got the famous Forsberg trade, which was a move to save his job.

I'd give McPhee kudos for his acquisition of Federov and Huet who helped the Caps reach the playoffs in 2008 after a long drought. But yeah, his overall performance is spotty at best, for someone in that position for >15 years. Not sure how much is on him vs. ownership/upper mgmt, but the Caps' coaches during this period, save for lucking into Boudreau, were uninspiring.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Knights Lightning
Jets Lightning
Knights Capitals
Jets Capitals

I don't want the Jets or Capitals to win, mostly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1 - Washington vs Winnipeg
2 - Washington vs Vegas
3 - Tampa Bay vs Winnipeg
4 - Tampa Bay vs Vegas

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Jets - Caps because i think this would be the perfect mix of skill and grit. I think it would get real nasty between these two teams.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Jets-Caps. A team trying to end Canada's quarter century Cup drought vs. the game's biggest star trying to win his first.

After that: Jets-Lightning, Knights-Caps, Knights-Lightning.

Last edited:

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Bolts-Knights, with Bolts winning so the 2nd rounder in 2019 they sent NYR becomes another 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad