Rank the playoffs goalies

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Alot of Holtby's numbers come from playing NYR in the playoffs so many series. They've had chronic issues scoring goals in the playoffs, against any team, since a long, long time. On the other hand, they've played against teams that have played great defensively against them, with great goalies behind that defense to boot. On the other hand, the NYR PP - a bread and butter for goals in the playoffs - has been abysmal for the last 10 years.

Meh

I don't like this argument much. Lundqvist played 3 playoff series against the Capitals in the years Holtby has been there and the Capitals score even less than the Rangers come playoff time. If you're gonna denigrate Holtby for having to play the Rangers too much, you can argue Lundqvist might also have inflated save percentages from playing the Capitals so much. I just think that's cherry picking a little too much.

I don't really think either of them should be discounted for playing the other's respective teams.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lmao @ Jones

Come on man, Jones was the only reason OT didn't end about a minute into it.

He was pretty much putting on a clinic in that OT, for a team that had no business staying in the game that long and virtually had no legit scoring chances all overtime. Not to take a shot at Talbot, as I feel he's played well and I only thought one of those 5 goals in game 4 he could have had, but Jones is currently outplaying Talbot in this series, while Talbot's team is up 3 games to 2. He definitely gave up a couple weak goals earlier in this series, but there's no need to discount what he's done since then.

Trust me, there's at least 15 Sharks players you can take shots at and 10-15 players that deserve to be ridiculed. I don't think Martin Jones is one of them. He played as well as you can tonight, while allowing 4 goals. He faced 15 high quality chances in OT alone. Looked like the Oilers were on the PP for most of the OT. It was almost like 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 or something. It was a clinic at PP's (while not actually being down a man) and odd man rushes.

I do agree that he probably shouldn't be above Allen in these playoffs though.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Meh

I don't like this argument much. Lundqvist played 3 playoff series against the Capitals in the years Holtby has been there and the Capitals score even less than the Rangers come playoff time. If you're gonna denigrate Holtby for having to play the Rangers too much, you can argue Lundqvist might also have inflated save percentages from playing the Capitals so much. I just think that's cherry picking a little too much.

I don't really think either of them should be discounted for playing the other's respective teams.

Except Lundqvist has played many, many games against teams other than the capitals and you cannot really say the same for Holtby at all.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
One thing is for sure.

So far in the playoffs Lundqvist is number 1 and it's all that matters.

The big question is if he will be able to keep this up, I would say no unless Rangers start to score some more goals and gets the offense going.

You simply can't count on him standing on his head every single game with the Rangers loosing every time Lundqvist lets in more than 2 goals, he is working extremely hard right now and looking super focused out there, he is on a mission. Will he be able to do it every single game in the playoffs (?), most probably not, hockey is a team game. Lundqvist and Nash looking fantastic, elite, but it will not be enough for the cup unless the entire team gets going.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Except Lundqvist has played many, many games against teams other than the capitals and you cannot really say the same for Holtby at all.

Definitely.

But it's not like Holtby has only played the Rangers. He's played them more than any other team. I don't think he's played more than one series against any other team. Next series will be his second against Pittsburgh, if they do beat Toronto.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Come on man, Jones was the only reason OT didn't end about a minute into it.

He was pretty much putting on a clinic in that OT, for a team that had no business staying in the game that long and virtually had no legit scoring chances all overtime. Not to take a shot at Talbot, as I feel he's played well and I only thought one of those 5 goals in game 4 he could have had, but Jones is currently outplaying Talbot in this series, while Talbot's team is up 3 games to 2. He definitely gave up a couple weak goals earlier in this series, but there's no need to discount what he's done since then.

Trust me, there's at least 15 Sharks players you can take shots at and 10-15 players that deserve to be ridiculed. I don't think Martin Jones is one of them. He played as well as you can tonight, while allowing 4 goals. He faced 15 high quality chances in OT alone. Looked like the Oilers were on the PP for most of the OT. It was almost like 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 or something. It was a clinic at PP's (while not actually being down a man) and odd man rushes.

I do agree that he probably shouldn't be above Allen in these playoffs though.

He shouldn't be above Talbot either save one game, yet Talbot is not even listed. That in itself is worth a laugh.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He shouldn't be above Talbot either save one game, yet Talbot is not even listed. That in itself is worth a laugh.

I mean, he played better than Talbot tonight too.

Not that Talbot played poorly, it's just that Jones was tested a lot more this game.

That's how much the Oilers outplayed the Sharks last night.

I would pretty much compare this with game 1, where the Sharks won and Talbot was the better goaltender by quite a bit. Last night the Oilers won and Jones was the better goaltender by at least a little bit.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I mean, he played better than Talbot tonight too.

Not that Talbot played poorly, it's just that Jones was tested a lot more this game.

That's how much the Oilers outplayed the Sharks last night.

I would pretty much compare this with game 1, where the Sharks won and Talbot was the better goaltender by quite a bit. Last night the Oilers won and Jones was the better goaltender by at least a little bit.

Comparing stats to stats Jones has been the superior goal tender over the series, but that 7-0 loss did us no favours that's for sure. I honestly think both Goalies have been excellent, but I think that Jones was the better goalie in game 5 for sure. I think both goalies have generally played excellent and kept their teams in it when it mattered in tight games.

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
Vintage Hank takes this no discussion. Price has been good, but yet Lundqvist is getting all the praise in the series because of important stops. When it comes to stopping breakaways (he made another one tonight on Patches) Price hasn't been close.

Hank may be getting old, but he is definitely not out.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Comparing stats to stats Jones has been the superior goal tender over the series, but that 7-0 loss did us no favours that's for sure. I honestly think both Goalies have been excellent, but I think that Jones was the better goalie in game 5 for sure. I think both goalies have generally played excellent and kept their teams in it when it mattered in tight games.

Definitely agree with this.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lundqvist may be getting up there in age but got enough in the tank to turn it up a notch for the playoffs.

I think Rinne wins the 1st round rankings though, hands down.

But don't judge goaltenders on one series.

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
When you look at quality chances faced I think Henrik takes it. He's proven pretty much everyone wrong with his play right now and keeps undressing people 1on1. Everyone kept saying Price would own this series but from the outset Lundqvist has made more high quality saves. Price has been alright, that's about it.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
People said lundqvist was done, he proved them wrong and started dominating.

People said lundqvist is shook to play well in MTL He's been disgustingly dominant for 2 series now.

I can't believe people take the guy so lightly when he's been consistant for over a decade in this league since day 1 but people continue to try to poke holes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People said lundqvist was done, he proved them wrong and started dominating.

People said lundqvist is shook to play well in MTL He's been disgustingly dominant for 2 series now.

I can't believe people take the guy so lightly when he's been consistant for over a decade in this league since day 1 but people continue to try to poke holes.

Two series? Did he magically play another series in between the Habs one?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Does anyone have the low/medium/high percentage shots that each goalie has faced?

http://www.corsica.hockey/goalies/

LDSv%:
Holtby, Anderson, Lundqvist, Gibson, Rinne all @ 1.000
(LD Shots Against: Fleury 75, Price 71, Allen 67, Andersen 64, Lundqvist 61)

MDSv%:
Rinne 1.000, Jones .973, Allen .969, Price .967, Gibson .962
(MD Shots Against: Fleury 51, Bobrovsky 47, Holtby 45, Lundqvist 40, Andersen 39)

HDSv%:
Gibson .950, Allen .947, Rinne .933, Dubnyk .923, Lundqivst .891
(HD Shots Against: Lundqvist 37, Bobrovsky 37, Fleury 33, Crawford 28, Price 27)

EDIT: Ah, crap (sort of), that was just for 5-on-5. Too lazy to add the totals including special teams. :)

Last edited:

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
That is pretty obvious what he meant.

Lundqvist has played very well in Montreal over past two series between the clubs.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
And give Ranger fans some latitude in talking up HL.

People have been so quick to put him down, say his career is over...and he just continued to prove to be a HOF-worthy goalie in this generation.

Why the Hab's fans are stil chanting his name during games is a little baffling...they certainly aren't getting into his head.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008

LDSv%:

MDSv%:
(MD Shots Against: Fleury 51, Bobrovsky 47, Holtby 45, Lundqvist 40, Andersen 39)

HDSv%:
(HD Shots Against: Lundqvist 37, Bobrovsky 37, Fleury 33, Crawford 28, Price 27)

EDIT: Ah, crap (sort of), that was just for 5-on-5. Too lazy to add the totals including special teams. :)

You're the man, Viper! Thank you kindly. So it appears that Lundqvist has faced 10 more HD% shots than Carey Price as well as faced (I believe) 21 more shots.

Somehow though this is not Hank playing better...just Montreal shooters playing worse....:laugh:

For the record: Both goalies are playing spectacular. Saying that X goalie is playing better than Y is - if you really think about it - ridiculous.

This is the only series where both goalies have a .940 save percentage. That is absolutely insane. INSANE!

Both goalies - regardless of teams - deserve to move on. It is a shame that one of them has to lose.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

LDSv%:

MDSv%:

HDSv%:

And Elliott has allowed 5 LDGA 5 on 5 and 7 in total....

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Bob is gonna win his second Vezina this year, but the guy has been putrid in the postseason his whole career. 18 games isn't the biggest sample size, but it's hard to rack up a lot of playoff games when you have a track record like .887 SV%, 3.63 GAA, and .231 QS%.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Looking at the stats clearly shows that Lundqvist is #1 so far. He has faced the 2nd most shots (178) and the most high danger shots (37) while sporting a 944 SV% and 1.89 GAA. Not a knock on Rinne but in comparison Rinne has faced 50+ shots less.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00