Rank the Leafs D

Where does the Leafs D rank amongst NHL Teams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Uh, that you think the Leafs are in the minority when it comes to having new defenseman on their team this year?

It's a weak excuse, especially when one of them is of Barrie's caliber.

You’re argument is weak, where did I say they are in the minority for having new dmen?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
You’re argument is weak, where did I say they are in the minority for having new dmen?
Your*

Well I mean you used it as an excuse as to why they are struggling, no? Having 3 new D-men isn't anything crazy.

Maybe they are just bad.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Your*

Well I mean you used it as an excuse as to why they are struggling, no? Having 3 new D-men isn't anything crazy.

Maybe they are just bad.

Blame mobile iPhone for that one.

Calling a d core of Rielly Barrie and Muzzin bad after 5 games is irresponsible. Andersen is awful in October. They’ll be just fine, Tampa has a lethal offence and power play. You act like I said they were top 5, I said right now middle of the pack with lots of talent and need some time to gel.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen

Not fair to include Seattle already!

Andersen has hide much of Leafs D struggles a couple of years now in regular season. I dont know if any better then last year, must give Barrie and Ceci more time, Ceci though are a downgrade to Gardiner, Barrie are a oneway D,we will see. Sandin looks ok with sheltered minutes but cant expect much from a young rookie!

Need a strong shutdown D who win battles around the board and can clear the crease(Borgman with skills).

Missing Kadri are a big minus to the defence, and Kapanen ,Johnsson, smallish around the boards!

The D are bottom 10-15!

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
When I watch the Leafs D try to get out of their end, I swear I can hear the theme music for Benny Hill playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I would say bottom 10 defensively, top 5 offensively. somewhere around 10-15 overall.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto is starting to realize that Pittsburgh was able to get away with unimpressive defense on paper because their forwards were very defensively responsible.

I don't think Toronto's main issue is their defensive core is weak. I think their system is terrible and I think their forwards are very poor on the defensive side of the puck. And their defensive core isn't great defensively either.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Leafs D isn't great defensively. To add to the issues, they've downgraded at F w/r/t defense as well. I think that's going to be the bigger issue.

I thought most of their offseason changes on the backend were side grades or minor upgrades at most. Losing Kadri is going to hurt. They dont really have a match up forward or D.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Letting their best defensive dman walk and replacing him with another one dimensional offensive guy was a terrible move by dumbass. Then again he seems to make a lot of those.

Reactions: wintersej

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Letting their best defensive dman walk and replacing him with another one dimensional offensive guy was a terrible move by dumbass. Then again he seems to make a lot of those.

I assume you’re talking about Hainsey and not Gardiner? Right? Hopefully?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They over estimated what losing hainsey and Gardiner would do.

Zaitsev can be a bonehead but even he had some value.

Harry Potter Just loves getting the big name, trading 6 players to reach twenty goals (not too mention two who hit thirty in that six) in the past year alone and then those three dmen too, he only grit he had in Kadri who also had a cap friendly contract to a cap riddled team. Also the leadership from Marleau and hainsey is lost. He also got rid of Mc in net, and a couple of good Marlie dmen. All to surround himself with four guys who make like forty million and haven’t made it past round one. It’s quite the recipe for success, no backup, no depth.

As for the D, they always leave Freddy out to dry so I just don’t know if it’s better then last year.

I said all summer they took a step back, it’s way too early to say I’m accurate with that it was a far and out there prediction by me but I just think with the Babcock dubas thing, the lack of depth (from what it once was) the team talks about spezza like he’s still the old spezza. It’s more of a bold prediction then people picking underfeatd teams right now to be surprise teams or everyone picking Colorado to be a cup favourite or Mackinnon hart, or Vancouver as a surprise team. Everyone said those things. I at least am going out on a limb lol

I think the d is definitely a problem and dunas will use Babcock as a scapegoat this year. But that’s probably a good thing because while Dunas shredded his depth due to the we can and we will comment he’s still worlds of better person then first round knockout mike.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
tenor.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Defensively bottom 10, but middle 10 overall. Offense from the D matters.

They never did get a good shutdown combo, it's "Muzzin - ?" right now. Kind of baffling that it was their biggest need, and they made a lot of moves to end up with Barrie and Ceci, neither being an upgrade in the shutdown department.

Reactions: wintersej

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
horrible, all our players are over paid, we are doomed. Lets hope we can beat the mighty Wings tonight

Reactions: Snowman

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They have one of the top offences, a top 10 goalie and have been basically a .500 team since the start of calendar year 2019.
Seems to me it’s hard to argue that their defensive play is a strength. Lots of offense from the back end but average at best in the D zone.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Bottom 10 for sure but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Gardiner was a scapegoat, the stench still lives on. That and Babcock is garbage, which doesn't help matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad