Rank The Best ALL-TIME Jet Defensemen!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Carlyle is absolutely among the best on this list. He was only 27 when he was traded here and played 9 seasons. Not sure why he doesn't get more love on this board.

I agree with you -- Carlyle was one smooth great skating defenseman, with a great shot, and could score. A Norris trophy winner I believe, and it's hard to not make him the # 1 defenseman to play for the Jets, and Babych right behind him.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Carlyle was slow as molasses in his Jets days. I watched those 9 years and definitely would not put him above the 6 on my list. After that though, sure.

Reactions: Robinson2187

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Carlyle was slow as molasses in his Jets days. I watched those 9 years and definitely would not put him above the 6 on my list. After that though, sure.
Carlyle strength was positioning and cutting down angles. Among the best at those things. Assuming he was a playing coach for the last few years.

Did Carlyle wear a helmet for a brief period of time? Heard rumour he tried a helmet but got belted so many times he took off again. Players took it easier on those that didn’t wear helmets.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Carlyle strength was positioning and cutting down angles. Among the best at those things. Assuming he was a playing coach for the last few years.

Did Carlyle wear a helmet for a brief period of time? Heard rumour he tried a helmet but got belted so many times he took off again. Players took it easier on those that didn’t wear helmets.
Post-1985, Carlyle's strength was hooking people that blew by him and crosschecking them in front of the net. He was "heady" though.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
1. Housley
2. Sjoberg
3. Byfuglien
4. Numminen
5. Carlyle
6. Ellet
7. Babych
8. Trouba
9. Olausson
10. Morrissey

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm quietly judging anyone who doesn't rate the Sjoberg somewhere on their top 10.

I freely admit that in my 40s I have no memory of him playing live. But I know and trust those who have written about his play to know: A: he's got to be up there, and B: your own personal life experience is not the be-all and end-all.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
My top 12 (WHA 1972-1979) (NHL 1.0 1979-1996) (NHL 2.0 2011-present)

1. Sjoberg
-should be everyones defecto #1, but I can appreciate that few saw him play. I used to have one of these white WHA pucks that he signed for me when I was a kid. Sadly like an idiot I used it one day and it got stolen from the rink.
2. Numminen
-"Teppo picking up the Tempo" was a sign my friends always brought to the old barn and hung from the upper deck. A complete player if there was ever one.
3. Babych
-The Babych trade remains the one of the worst hockey deals ever, Dave went on to play another 15 year in the NHL. Neufeld was out of the NHL within 3 years of that god awful trade.
4. Ellett
-The Ellett trade wasn't much better. Although Olyczk became a fan favourite, he was always in the coaches doghouse despite being a point per game player. Was often stapled to the bench due to his one dimensional game. Another horrible trade.
5. Carlyle
-Was never the biggest fan of Carlisle. He never put up the numbers in Winnipeg that he did in Pittsburgh. That trade resulted in the Penguins drafting Bodger who was putting up offensive numbers as good as Carlisle's from his rookie season onward which always left me wondering "what if?" Carlisle was one of those players who was a borderline goon and I always preferred the rest of our Fab Four over him.
6. Byfuglien
-Byfuglien could very well leap frog several of the above with a solid playoff this year. Could see him as a potential Conn Smythe winner if the Jets go all the way.
7. Housley
-Housely was a dynamic addition to the Jet 1.0 & his chemistry with Selanne in his rookie year was undeniable. Still, hard to accept that Mike Smith dealt Hawerchuk for him.
8. Enstrom
-like Sjoberg, Babych, Carlisle & Ellett, Enstrom's best hockey wasn't played in Winnipeg. At his peak he'd be ranked higher. He was injured the first 20 something games when the Jets returned & there were some high offensive expectations that went unfulfilled. More injuries during the lockout season after which he was a shadow of his former self. Still great defensively right to the end and his numbers in Europe suggest he could still be playing on our 2nd or 3rd pairing.
9 & 10 Morrissey & Trouba
-Morrissey/Trouba. Great reading the Morrissey draft thread, lots of hilarious hot takes. Morrissey my favourite Jet at the moment. Plan to convert my Bogo jersey to his. Trouba & he are interchangeable in this list at the moment, but in the long run I'm giving Josh the nod over Jake.
11. Olausson
-another fave. Always loved my Swedes! Remember him originally as a forward, but that didn't last long. The poster boy for getting netting added to protect fans. Frequently sent slap shots directly into what would today be the Budweiser Lounge, often just below us in the cheap 7-11 seats we sat in in high school. Took out at least one usher who had his back to the puck.
12. Watters
-Watters was very underrated. A late round pick that exceeded all expectations in his career. One of the only times I actively cheered for an NHL team besides the Jets was the Kings 1992 cup run. Pulled for Timmy big time!

Last edited:
Reactions: FonRiesen

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm quietly judging anyone who doesn't rate the Sjoberg somewhere on their top 10.

I freely admit that in my 40s I have no memory of him playing live. But I know and trust those who have written about his play to know: A: he's got to be up there, and B: your own personal life experience is not the be-all and end-all.

Sjoberg was a guy too tiny for the NHL, he had a few good seasons in the AHL tweener level WHA and sucked big time in his lone NHL season a season where the team had a AHL level defence , by year two of Jets 1.0 he couldn’t make the team when the Jets managed to find some journey man NHL D men, end of story

In year two of the Jets 1.0 not one D man from year one aside from Campbell (who was physically done) made it on the roster!

The myth of Sjoberg is laughable here!

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Carlyle had lost a step near the end of his NHL career with the Jets, he was also 36 then...he was a pretty solid D man when he came to the Jets but imagine a D man not in his prime in his mid 30’s....the stupidity in here is ridiculous.

Carlyle played on some good Jets teams as a top 4 D man.

Sjoberg was a marginal D man in his lone NHL season playing on the worst team in the league.

Nov 24, 2006

1. Sjoberg
-should be everyones defecto #1, but I can appreciate that few saw him play. I used to have one of these white WHA pucks that he signed for me when I was a kid. Sadly like an idiot I used it one day and it got stolen from the rink.
2. Numminen
-"Teppo picking up the Tempo" was a sign my friends always brought to the old barn and hung from the upper deck. A complete player if there was ever one.
3. Babych
-The Babych trade remains the one of the worst hockey deals ever, Dave went on to play another 15 year in the NHL. Neufeld was out of the NHL within 3 years of that god awful trade.
4. Ellett
-The Ellett trade wasn't much better. Although Olyczk became a fan favourite, he was always in the coaches doghouse despite being a point per game player. Was often stapled to the bench due to his one dimensional game. Another horrible trade.
5. Carlyle
-Was never the biggest fan of Carlisle. He never put up the numbers in Winnipeg that he did in Pittsburgh. That trade resulted in the Penguins drafting Bodger who was putting up offensive numbers as good as Carlisle's from his rookie season onward which always left me wondering "what if?" Carlisle was one of those players who was a borderline goon and I always preferred the rest of our Fab Four over him.
6. Byfuglien
-Byfuglien could very well leap frog several of the above with a solid playoff this year. Could see him as a potential Conn Smythe winner if the Jets go all the way.
7. Housley
-Housely was a dynamic addition to the Jet 1.0 & his chemistry with Selanne in his rookie year was undeniable. Still, hard to accept that Mike Smith dealt Hawerchuk for him.
8. Enstrom
-like Sjoberg, Babych, Carlisle & Ellett, Enstrom's best hockey wasn't played in Winnipeg. At his peak he'd be ranked higher. He was injured the first 20 something games when the Jets returned & there were some high offensive expectations that went unfulfilled. More injuries during the lockout season after which he was a shadow of his former self. Still great defensively right to the end and his numbers in Europe suggest he could still be playing on our 2nd or 3rd pairing.
-Morrissey/Trouba. Great reading the Morrissey draft thread, lots of hilarious hot takes. Morrissey my favourite Jet at the moment. Plan to convert my Bogo jersey to his. Trouba & he are interchangeable in this list at the moment, but in the long run I'm giving Josh the nod over Jake.
11. Olausson
-another fave. Always loved my Swedes! Remember him originally as a forward, but that didn't last long. The poster boy for getting netting added to protect fans. Frequently sent slap shots directly into what would today be the Budweiser Lounge, often just below us in the cheap 7-11 seats we sat in in high school. Took out at least one usher who had his back to the puck.
12. Watters
-Watters was very underrated. A late round pick that exceeded all expectations in his career. One of the only times I actively cheered for an NHL team besides the Jets was the Kings 1992 cup run. Pulled for Timmy big time!
Good write up for each!

When did Sjoberg play? No memory of him but I may not have lived here then (or watched hickey).

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Good write up for each!

Whe did Sjoberg play? No memory of him but I may not have lived here then (or watched hickey).

Sjoberg's career with the Jets began in 1974-75. He played six seasons with the Jets with the final season being 1979-80. However, during his second last season he suffered an Achilles tendon injury and only played nine games that year but did make it back for the playoffs to help the Jets win the final WHA championship.

:jets

Reactions: Joe Strummer

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

1. Sjoberg
2. Numminen
3. Babych
4. Ellett
5. Carlyle
6. Byfuglien
7. Housley
8. Enstrom

11. Olausson
12. Watters
I can't say how much I agree with the bolded. When I heard about that trade I had to sit down and digest it.To me, the worst trade in history because I am such a huge Hawerchuk fan.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Carlyle had lost a step near the end of his NHL career with the Jets, he was also 36 then...he was a pretty solid D man when he came to the Jets but imagine a D man not in his prime in his mid 30’s....the stupidity in here is ridiculous.

Carlyle played on some good Jets teams as a top 4 D man.

Sjoberg was a marginal D man in his lone NHL season playing on the worst team in the league.

Being 36 excuses Carlyle but not Sjoberg? Come on Sip, you are usually more balanced than that.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Being 36 excuses Carlyle but not Sjoberg? Come on Sip, you are usually more balanced than that.

Though it was the other way around when everyone was saying the reason the little general sucked in his lone NHL season was that he was 36!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Good write up for each!

When did Sjoberg play? No memory of him but I may not have lived here then (or watched hickey).

Sjoberg played 5 seasons for the Jets in the WHA, had a couple good seasons but then again it was the WHA and the defensive side of the game didn't exist, his final year and fifth year in the WHA he was injured and only played 9 games but the decline had begun, his first and only season in the NHL the first for the Jets wasn't kind to Sjoberg where it was clear he didn't belong as did every other D man on the Jets team that season because none of the D men that year ever played year two of the Jets 1.0 or in the NHL again! (not counting Campbell)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Sjoberg was a guy too tiny for the NHL, he had a few good seasons in the AHL tweener level WHA and sucked big time in his lone NHL season a season where the team had a AHL level defence , by year two of Jets 1.0 he couldn’t make the team when the Jets managed to find some journey man NHL D men, end of story

In year two of the Jets 1.0 not one D man from year one aside from Campbell (who was physically done) made it on the roster!

The myth of Sjoberg is laughable here!

Well then I guess I'm not-so-silently judging you sipowicz!

One bad season tells us nothing about the man's career. Do we judge Wayne Gretzky by his final season with the Rangers, where he scored all of 9 goals? Of course not!

This will never be solved absent a time machine, but may have said the WHA Jets could have contended with the best of the NHL. You can't judge those Jets teams by the weakness of other WHA teams of the time. And Sjoberg was the team's top defenceman at the time, and team captain.

People can argue exactly where he ranks on the list of top defenceman: such debates are fun but can never be answered. But he absolutely "belongs in the conversation".

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Housley, if for nothing else the two years he played with Teemu, but for me, the most offensively gifted D-man through all 3 iterations of the Winnipeg Jets
Numminen
Babych
Marois
Sjoberg
Byfuglien
Carlyle
Ellett
Olauson
Enstrom
Trouba

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well then I guess I'm not-so-silently judging you sipowicz!

One bad season tells us nothing about the man's career. Do we judge Wayne Gretzky by his final season with the Rangers, where he scored all of 9 goals? Of course not!

This will never be solved absent a time machine, but may have said the WHA Jets could have contended with the best of the NHL. You can't judge those Jets teams by the weakness of other WHA teams of the time. And Sjoberg was the team's top defenceman at the time, and team captain.

People can argue exactly where he ranks on the list of top defenceman: such debates are fun but can never be answered. But he absolutely "belongs in the conversation".

No, simply judging Sjoberg on his move to a better league (NHL), I'll give you he was past his prime but the truth was he was no longer good enough to compete against NHL talent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad