Rank The Best ALL-TIME Jet Defensemen!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
1) Randy Carlyle - Norris Trophy winner

2) Dave Babych

3) Phil Housley

4) Dustin Byfuglien

5) Fredrick Olausson

6) Dave Ellett

These are my Top 6- "right now"

To be added -- Trouba and Morrissey -- it will depend on long term performance where they fit in.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Numminem #1, then Buff, Morrissey and Housley. Ollauson was pretty good too, I cant comment on WHA guys I was too young to remember it

Teppo was so good Harelquin rewrote some lyrics and produced this "gem" for the Hockey Rock Winnipeg Style album back in the 90s

Last edited:
Reactions: FonRiesen

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
1) Randy Carlyle - Norris Trophy winner with Pittsburgh.

2) Dave Babych

3) Phil Housley

4) Dustin Byfuglien

5) Fredrick Olausson

6) Dave Ellett

These are my Top 6
If you're going to base your list on entire careers including non-Winnipeg years then why did you put HOFer Phil Housley lower than Randy Carlyle?

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Housley is the best passing Jets defenseman ive seen.

Byfuglien is the one that can control a game by himself

Numminen is the calmness of him and gets the job done

Oulasson booming slapper and power point player.

Cant rank playwrs older than 89. Caryle was old when i saw him played. And Babych.
Base on stats they were good.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Housley is the best passing Jets defenseman ive seen.

Byfuglien is the one that can control a game by himself

Numminen is the calmness of him and gets the job done

Oulasson booming slapper and power point player.

Cant rank playwrs older than 89. Caryle was old when i saw him played. And Babych.
Base on stats they were good.

It sure was fun watching Housley feed Selanne up the ice during the 92-93 season. Imagine if they didn't have the 2 line pass rule back then, would have been stretch passes galore and more goals for him.

Stogey

Nov 25, 2017
Thunder Bay
Cant believe nobody mentioned Stuart.
CC779CDF-B7C7-471D-94DA-D33B0C815CE1.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sjoberg played on a team that had less than 50 points in the NHL and was probably the 2nd or 3rd best D man on that team at 36. That team was raped and they were horrible. Their goalies sucked too. OP says while a Jet and he played great in a Jets uni.

Not sure how Olausson makes anyone's list. The guy was softer than a marshmallow He made Babych look like Scott Stevens. He had a big shot from the point but otherwise wasn't very good.
If Babych did not play as soft as he did, he would probably be #1.
Carlyle has to be in there and could be the smartest Jet D man I have seen including Sjoberg.
Buff is on the list for sure.
Housley was really good for the short time he played here.
Teppo HAS to be in there.
Ellet wasn't elite but not many, if any, Jets D men have been...
Morrissey and in 5 or so years he might be considered the best we have ever had including the WHA. I'd say the same for Trouba but this is his last season here.

Somebody really thinks Serge Savard should be on this list? For the way he played while here? I lived and breathed the Habs before the Jets came here and he was one of my favorite players (he, Robinson and Lapoints were deadly) but he doesn't deserve to be on the list for his play while here.

Buff Housley Teppo Morrissey Sjoberg Babych (Honorable Mention to Carlyle) in no order at all. That's some pretty good D that have played for the Jets over the years.

Reactions: lablite47

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Sjoberg played on a team that had less than 50 points in the NHL and was probably the 2nd or 3rd best D man on that team at 36. That team was raped and they were horrible. Their goalies sucked too. OP says while a Jet and he played great in a Jets uni.

Not sure how Olausson makes anyone's list. The guy was softer than a marshmallow He made Babych look like Scott Stevens. He had a big shot from the point but otherwise wasn't very good.
If Babych did not play as soft as he did, he would probably be #1.
Carlyle has to be in there and could be the smartest Jet D man I have seen including Sjoberg.
Buff is on the list for sure.
Housley was really good for the short time he played here.
Teppo HAS to be in there.
Ellet wasn't elite but not many, if any, Jets D men have been...
Morrissey and in 5 or so years he might be considered the best we have ever had including the WHA. I'd say the same for Trouba but this is his last season here.

Somebody really thinks Serge Savard should be on this list? For the way he played while here? I lived and breathed the Habs before the Jets came here and he was one of my favorite players (he, Robinson and Lapoints were deadly) but he doesn't deserve to be on the list for his play while here.

Buff Housley Teppo Morrissey Sjoberg Babych (Honorable Mention to Carlyle) in no order at all. That's some pretty good D that have played for the Jets over the years.

Agree with all of the above. Only thing I'd add in your list of al-time best would be Trouba, even if it is his last year.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
1. Numminen - incredibly, robotically consistent
2. Housley - elite offensive skills, passing, spinorama move to leave zone
3. Buff - as said before - the complete package.

etc...

217. Sergei Bautin
I remember a fight with Bautin where he seemed Content to smash the opposing player into the goal crossbar. He had both hands around the back of the other players head but just never made sny crossbar progress. the other player just took unlimited shots. Strangest fight. I recall Bautin rather bloodied.

We did get Drake for Bautin though.

Dean Kennedy was another dman time has forgotten.

Neil Wilkinson as well. Did he fight probert?

Jim Kyte, quintal ..... memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If it isn't Morrissey right now...it will be after the playoffs..
I think Morrissey will get there eventually but it will take longer than that . My vote goes to Buff just for the total entertainment that man brings usually every game he plays . Offense , hitting , some good defense and comedy relief . :laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Buff
Housely
Numminen
Morrissey
Trouba
Ellett

As far as others i liked but don't belong on the list, the criminally underrated Boris Mironov, and Peter Taglianetti.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Carlyle is absolutely among the best on this list. He was only 27 when he was traded here and played 9 seasons. Not sure why he doesn't get more love on this board.

Reactions: GNP

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Sjoberg was a fine player even if he didn’t join the Jets until he was in his 30s

1 Numminen
2 Housley
3 Sjoberg
4 Buff
5 Babych
6 Carlyle
7 Ellet
8 Morrisey
9 Trouba
10 Waters

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sojeberg was a fine player even if he didn’t join the Jets until he was in his 30s

1 Numminen
2 Housley
3 Sjoberg
4 Buff
5 Babych
6 Carlyle
7 Ellet
8 Morrisey
9 Trouba
10 Waters

I like this list. I'd give honorable mentions to Marois, Ollausson but sadly there really hasn't been many great defensemen here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad