Line Combos: Rank our Defensemen

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Lindstrom is a funny one. Zero offensive touch but seems to play a solid defensive game that should only get better. Could be our Chris Tanev? Although at some point Gustav needs to find the back of the net. He can seemingly move the puck a bit though

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hroneks not good enough for you guys to like as a 3/4 D? I guess its elite 1D or bust for this fan base. Hopefully Yzerman can find 4 Seiders for this team.

Hronek detractors are certainly not representative of the entire fanbase. I'm fine with Hronek as a 2nd-pair defenseman. Upgrading him in that role is waaaaaay down the priority list for me. I'd like to upgrade him in the current role he's in as our leading dman in TOI, but he's not a 3rd-pair dman. Neither in ability, nor in reputation/contract status.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Seider is the best and a legit #1D and easily the biggest reason for our improvement this year
Leddy is a solid top 4 D
Hronek is a #3/4 with consistency issues

Everyone else is straight trash

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I want you to wank our defensemen.

DARTZ: That's wight, the tippy-top, mayn! So in order to wefocus our effowts and weally take charge, I'm gonna wank all of you wight now.
RAFAEL: You're going to what us?
DARTZ: I wonna wank you! Aich of you! One at a time! Though I weserve the wight to make you guys pair off and wank each other later.
VALON: I already had a wank in a bush!
DARTZ: Why you being pwivate with your wanking, mayn? We share here!
VALON: I was lonely!
DARTZ: Okay, you! The big gaaah! What's your name?
RAFAEL: Rafael.
DARTZ: Okay, Wafael. Fwom now on, you will be my number 1 wanked mayn. If I eva' need to handle something hawd, I will come wight to you. 'Cause of how highwy I wank you. You outwank everyone else here.
RAFAEL: Thank you?
DARTZ: The west of you, go forth, and put my pwans into action, man! And then I might consider we-wanking you. By odah of D sawze.
ALISTER: These meetings get f*cking weird.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
I think you guys need an upgrade on D.

With Staal and DeKeyser off the book this summer, I think you could afford Jeff Petry at 10% retained. Good for leadership, big body, PMD, beside the bad season he is having (which is kind of normal playing for such a shit team), he has been a consistent 40 points #2 or 3 dman the past couple of season.

Plus he comes from Michigan.

Any interest in him? What kind of assets Yzerman would be ready to give for a 10% retained Jeff Petry?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

With Staal and DeKeyser off the book this summer, I think you could afford Jeff Petry at 10% retained. Good for leadership, big body, PMD, beside the bad season he is having (which is kind of normal playing for such a shit team), he has been a consistent 40 points #2 or 3 dman the past couple of season.

Any interest in him? What kind of assets Yzerman would be ready to give for a 10% retained Jeff Petry?
2 assists in 27 games? What's wrong with him this year?

3 more year of an older defenseman whose production fell off a cliff. No thanks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hroneks not good enough for you guys to like as a 3/4 D? I guess its elite 1D or bust for this fan base. Hopefully Yzerman can find 4 Seiders for this team.
I dunno what the advanced stats say, but Leddy and Hronek are near the league bottom for +/- this season. Some of that has to do with the inability of the bottom 6 to score, but at the same time, I feel more comfortable watching Lindstrom in the defensive zone than either of those 2 guys.

In any case, there's a huge gap between Seider and everyone else. Absolutely huge. When Seider touches the puck, you don't have any worries, everyone else makes me literally cringe. Same with Fabbri in the defensive zone, WTF is up with his weak passes up the middle?

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
2 assists in 27 games? What's wrong with him this year?

3 more year of an older defenseman whose production fell off a cliff. No thanks.
He hasn't been himself this year on a team that underperforms at all position, doesn't erase his play for the last 4 seasons where he had 40 points and over.

As far as I know Fabbri had 3 goals in 40 games(2 seasons combined) before you guys aquired him and I doubt a lot of Red Wings fan are disappointed with the trade.

Still a top 4 defenseman with 40 points potential who could be had for a lower value that his real worth, brings size and mobility to your blueline.

But hey, if you prefer to pay 2 1st and some grade A prospect for a top young defenseman like Chychrun, go ahead. It was just a suggestion as I see you guys have a weak blue line and some cap space.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Realistically, you have Seider that's obviously top pair, Leddy that's second pair and the rest are all third pair D including Hronek.

Hronek has been an absolute disappointment, I thought the issue was having crappy partners but even with legit NHL level partners he looks like garbage. His offense has disappeared too, whatever happened to his shooting? Leddy needs a physical stay at home D as a partner, those 2 really should be split up.

Stecher isn't done, he'll get a job as a 6/7D somewhere. There are worse players with regular spots like DeHaan. I do not see him re-signing with the Wings, but with a cellar dweller. If Cholo can get a roster spot, Stecher can too.

I doubt anyone will sing him. And if someone does, he is one hit away from losing his job in NHL. He is too small and has no other assets to make up for it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He hasn't been himself this year on a team that underperforms at all position, doesn't erase his play for the last 4 seasons where he had 40 points and over.

As far as I know Fabbri had 3 goals in 40 games(2 seasons combined) before you guys aquired him and I doubt a lot of Red Wings fan are disappointed with the trade.

Still a top 4 defenseman with 40 points potential who could be had for a lower value that his real worth, brings size and mobility to your blueline.

But hey, if you prefer to pay 2 1st and some grade A prospect for a top young defenseman like Chychrun, go ahead. It was just a suggestion as I see you guys have a weak blue line and some cap space.
I'm not the GM, lol. You're not one of those people who think we have some sort of control over the roster, are you?

It's not a trade that Stevie would do. Maybe if he was on an expiring contract, but not with 3 years left after this season. he likes his cap flexibility, just look at the current roster. He's been shedding salary, not adding. Not to mention Petry's age doesn't fit he rebuild timeline.

I doubt anyone will sing him. And if someone does, he is one hit away from losing his job in NHL. He is too small and has no other assets to make up for it.
He has absolute highlight reel games every 15 games or so, that's why he has fans here. (Mainly fans that watch highlights and not full games) Problem is that he sucks for 14 games in between.

I'll easily place a wager that he gets signed by an NHL team. It might be league min for one year, but there are a lot of crappy D out there.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seider
Leddy

Hronek
Lindstrom
Stecher
Staal
DD
Oesterle

Quoted because its the right answer. I would probably put Stecher and Staal as even and remove the gap between Leddy and Hronek though.

Lindstrom is quietly really steady back there and has the chance to be a fairly important piece to the blueline down the road I think

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
...But hey, if you prefer to pay 2 1st and some grade A prospect for a top young defenseman like Chychrun, go ahead. It was just a suggestion as I see you guys have a weak blue line and some cap space.

What is this random hard sell on Petry all of a sudden? Just swinging in here and negging us..."I see you guys have a weak blue line"...haha. Strange.

Back to your original question if Yzerman would realistically pursue a trade for Jeff Petry as an upgrade to our blue line? It doesn't really make sense for the Wings or align to any of the moves he's generally made up until this point. Petry, at 34 (35?), and a rather significant cap hit of 6M+, doesn't fit literally any of the moves he's made to date. I think you're better off trying to sell him off in a trade to a team looking for that savvy veteran Top 4 PMD to give them that last piece to make a run - EDM and NYR jump to mind.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What is this random hard sell on Petry all of a sudden? Just swinging in here and negging us..."I see you guys have a weak blue line"...haha. Strange.

Back to your original question if Yzerman would realistically pursue a trade for Jeff Petry as an upgrade to our blue line? It doesn't really make sense for the Wings or align to any of the moves he's generally made up until this point. Petry, at 34 (35?), and a rather significant cap hit of 6M+, doesn't fit literally any of the moves he's made to date. I think you're better off trying to sell him off in a trade to a team looking for that savvy veteran Top 4 PMD to give them that last piece to make a run - EDM and NYR jump to mind.
Well said.

Also Petry's main thing is offense and the PP.

With Seider on the 1st PP, there is barely enough PP time for Hronek and Leddy.

He isn't gonna push Seider off the first unit anyhow. Clearly not a fit. Plus the points you made about his age and contract.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm not the GM, lol. You're not one of those people who think we have some sort of control over the roster, are you?

It's not a trade that Stevie would do. Maybe if he was on an expiring contract, but not with 3 years left after this season. he likes his cap flexibility, just look at the current roster. He's been shedding salary, not adding. Not to mention Petry's age doesn't fit he rebuild timeline.

He has absolute highlight reel games every 15 games or so, that's why he has fans here. (Mainly fans that watch highlights and not full games) Problem is that he sucks for 14 games in between.

I'll easily place a wager that he gets signed by an NHL team. It might be league min for one year, but there are a lot of crappy D out there.
I think Lindstrom has played steady and Stecher has lost his job to him. I think Yzerman will give him a chance so he can showcase himself to other teams. The best Stecher can achieve is max 50-100 another NHL games, though I doubt anyone will sign him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think Lindstrom has played steady and Stecher has lost his job to him. I think Yzerman will give him a chance so he can showcase himself to other teams. The best Stecher can achieve is max 50-100 another NHL games, though I doubt anyone will sign him.

Stecher will definitely get another deal in the NHL. Teams always need depth and Stecher is more than fine in that role.

Reactions: Gniwder

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

I strongly dislike Hronek's skillset, he is a top 4 D, but he needs a cetrain type of D partner to be effective. He is offensive defenseman, who actually struggles at moving the puck - I think that's reason he failed so miserably as PP QB - he had hard time perfoming zone entries, and the reason why he needs to be paired with Leddy, who is maybe the best D currently at zone entries and exits. But them together, while being generally competent in the own zone, possess same weaknesses, which makes them not so effective there. I think ideal partner for him is somebody like Seider. With the current setup of the D i prefer Lindström over Hronek.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

1. No shit every team in the league needs to upgrade on d thats way teams like tampa always trade for guys at the deadline.

2. Why would we do our time getting rid of two old overpayed immoble dmen, just to bring in another one, while giving away assests? Asnine.

3. Everybody knows he's from Michigan his dad pitched for Tigers. Thanks for trying. Yzerman doesnt do sentimentality, this isnt a country club anymore.

4. You got it wrong, only way Petry comes to Detroit is if you guys give us assets, see the marc staal deal. Starting with at least a 1st and a 3rd.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Seider is the best defenceman on the Wings and no one else is close
Hronek is the 2nd best defenceman on the Wings and no one else is close.

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
1. Seider

2. Hronek
3. Lindström
4. Leddy

5. The Rest

(My god our left side is awful)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad