Jun 28, 2006
Seider
Leddy
Lindström
Oesterle
Staal
Hronek
DeKeyser

I cannot properly rank Stecher, he played only 6 games and i saw maybe two.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Wow.
Wings really needed some puck moving D and Leddy has helped in that regard but he has been a defensive liability and isn't nearly as good as Hronek.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Dumpster
Dumpster fire

The team only has one defenseman that doesn't play hot potato with the puck. Lindstrom is OK as third pair, and he's still young. Everyone else needs to be replaced.

I was really hoping Hronek would be better with an NHL caliber partner, but he really hasn't been. Him and Fabbri have really disappointed me this season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider

Leddy
Hronek

Oesterle
Stecher
Lindstrom
Staal

Dekeyser

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Seider
(1 Astronomical Unit)

Stetcher (when healthy)
Hronek
Leddy

Lindstrom
Staal

Oesterle
(10 Astronomical Units)

DDK

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I do miss Stecher - was one of our more competent/consistent puck moving/passing Dmen last season...Too bad he's been injured for most of this season and I doubt he'll fetch much at the trade deadline nor will Yzerman bother re-signing him over the summer.

Reactions: bedtime20

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Seider

Hronek

Leddy

Staal/Lindstrom
Oesterle

DDK
Stecher - Have never understood the like for this guy. He had a good first 10 games or so last season, and then it all went down hill. He's a turnover machine. Low panic threshold. More prone to the forecheck than any defenseman on the roster. Can't play D in his own zone, can't play offense in the O zone, weak and gets pushed around, passing is overrated. He can skate and transport the puck, that's pretty much all he does well.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider - legit looks like a veteran #1D already

Leddy - underrated, team badly misses him

Hronek - has his moments but a very mixed bag

Lindström - quietly solid

Dekeyser/Staal/Oesterle/Stecher - interchangeable replacement level players

Reactions: wingerdinger

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Stecher - Have never understood the like for this guy. He had a good first 10 games or so last season, and then it all went down hill. He's a turnover machine. Low panic threshold. More prone to the forecheck than any defenseman on the roster. Can't play D in his own zone, can't play offense in the O zone, weak and gets pushed around, passing is overrated. He can skate and transport the puck, that's pretty much all he does well.
Respectfully disagree - in fact I thought he looked better with moving the puck as the season progressed...I will agree with you that he needs a guy like Staal as a partner since he isn't the greatest in his own end and has some issues with clearing the crease/handling opponents.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Respectfully disagree - in fact I thought he looked better with moving the puck as the season progressed...I will agree with you that he needs a guy like Staal as a partner since he isn't the greatest in his own end and has some issues with clearing the crease/handling opponents.

We all have our preferences, and if Stecher is the type of defenseman some of you like, I won't try to sway you. He's just not that for me, the downside easily outweighs the upside imo. He's a poor man's Bart Lebda, and yeah, guys like that can survive with a good defensive dman as their partner (see: Lilja), but they spike my frustration level too much :naughty:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
10 - Seider
8 - Hronek
7 - Leddy
5 - DeKeyser
4 - Staal
3 - Lindström
2 - Stecher
1 - Oesterle

Ranked in general.
Seider 10 (if he shoots a bit more he gets 10+)
Hronek 7
Leddy 6
DeKeyser 5
Staal 4
Lindstrom 4
Oesterle 3
Stecher 1

Seider
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Garbage
Dumpster
Dumpster fire

The team only has one defenseman that doesn't play hot potato with the puck. Lindstrom is OK as third pair, and he's still young. Everyone else needs to be replaced.

I was really hoping Hronek would be better with an NHL caliber partner, but he really hasn't been. Him and Fabbri have really disappointed me this season.
Staal is great on the 3rd pairing, top 4 he is brutal. It was just a game or 2, but he struggled like hell.

Seider

Hronek

Leddy

Staal/Lindstrom
Oesterle

DDK

Stecher is done both with this team and in the league. No team will offer him a contract.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider 10 (if he shoots a bit more he gets 10+)
Hronek 7
Leddy 6
DeKeyser 5
Staal 4
Lindstrom 4
Oesterle 3
Stecher 1

Staal is great on the 3rd pairing, top 4 he is brutal. It was just a game or 2, but he struggled like hell.

Stecher is done both with this team and in the league. No team will offer him a contract.
Realistically, you have Seider that's obviously top pair, Leddy that's second pair and the rest are all third pair D including Hronek.

Hronek has been an absolute disappointment, I thought the issue was having crappy partners but even with legit NHL level partners he looks like garbage. His offense has disappeared too, whatever happened to his shooting? Leddy needs a physical stay at home D as a partner, those 2 really should be split up.

Stecher isn't done, he'll get a job as a 6/7D somewhere. There are worse players with regular spots like DeHaan. I do not see him re-signing with the Wings, but with a cellar dweller. If Cholo can get a roster spot, Stecher can too.

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad