Rank our Defensemen. (please)

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
That's every defensemen in this league. Show me one defensemen, who has never had an occasional unforced turnover?
I can’t show you one. You win this contest. You have won a two for one happy hour appetizer coupon from Montes Etobicoke. Pm me your address and I’ll send it as soon as possible

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I can’t show you one. You win this contest. You have won a two for one happy hour appetizer coupon from Montes Etobicoke. Pm me your address and I’ll send it as soon as possible
Thank you for acknowledging that every defenseman turns the puck over. Sometimes it's costly, while other times it's no big deal.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Screenshot_20230122_084803_Reddit.jpg

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
it's unbelievable how badly some of you understimate Holls value to the Leafs

for the hard core haters please read this article, it's not an adulation piece it's straight facts
I think many of us have seen his 5on5 improvement and understand his importance to our pk.

However his contract status (and we don't know if Dubas has been unable to extend him at a good price or if he wants to test the waters.) and past playoff struggles make him an obvious candidate to be expendable. Timmon making a strong case as a top 6 on the right hand side further complicates the matter even though they are very different players.

I personally think it would be crazy to part with him this year considering the value he brings.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Brodie
Gio
Rielly
Liljegren
Holl
Sandin
Timmins

People who rank Rielly first don’t know the importance of a defenceman playing defence first to have real value. Offensively, you’re living in his past, or his potential to rediscover his offence.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
1. Rielly 2. Brodie 3. Giordano 4. Liljergren 5.Holl 6. Sandin 7. Timmins 8. Benn

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'd go with

Rielly
Brodie
Liljegren
Giordano
Holl
Sandin
Benn
Timmins
Mete

I shit on Holl every chance I get. It's wrong and i admit it. I want him gone probably more than most. If he's in the top 4 going into the playoffs there's a really good chance that the Leafs will not make it out of the first round again. Not all his fault mind you. Here's the good things about Holl. Straight out speed heading out of the Dzone unchallenged. Good. Blocking shots. Good. PK. Pretty good. Luck. Tremendous amount of luck. That's it. So to me that's a #6. Maybe a #5 on a lesser team.

Ideally I would say if they were to add a top 4 RHD or LHD then we'd see

Rielly xxx
Brodie Liljegren

Or
Rielly Brodie
xxx Liljegren

Holl and Giordano as the bottom pairing would be good.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Brodie
Lily
Gio
Rielly

Timmins

Benn

Sandin
Holl

I think their top 4 pretty clear .. Timmer can sub in for 1 of those 4 and do da job .. Benn next best to sub in .. Sandin and Holl lack skating skills but each can be ok and helpful at times if they play within their limitations

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
When I look at Tthe Leafs Defence, I only see Lili, Sandin, Hall and Geo. Sometimes Benn and Timmins. Rielly and TJ just aren't where they were in the past obviously due to injury and age.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
My rankings:

A) As of Today, based on trailing 365 days of work:

#1 - Rielly
#2 - Brodie
#3 - Giordano
#4 - Holl
#5 - Liljegren
#6 - Sandin
#7 - Timmins
#8 - Benn, Mete

* - sadly excluding Muzzin who was a solid #3-4 when healthy

B) Futures - where I see them in exactly one year from today:

#1 - Rielly ($7.5M)
#2 - Liljegren ($1.4M)
#3 - Brodie ($5.0M)
#4 - Sandin ($1.4M)
#5 - Giordano ($0.8M)
#6 - Holl ($0M)
#7 - Timmins ($1.0M est.)
#8 - Benn, Mete, etc.

Assuming all are back with Holl gone via UFA and Hollowell or Niemala as the #7-8, I'd put this squad in the upper third within the league. Not best in class, but maybe Top 8-10. It's not a bad squad for only $17M and 20% of your total cap. Definitely good enough to contend if you have a Top 3-5 offense next season and a bona fide, Top 10 goalie.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'd go with

Rielly
Brodie
Liljegren
Giordano
Holl
Sandin
Benn
Timmins
Mete

I shit on Holl every chance I get. It's wrong and i admit it. I want him gone probably more than most. If he's in the top 4 going into the playoffs there's a really good chance that the Leafs will not make it out of the first round again. Not all his fault mind you. Here's the good things about Holl. Straight out speed heading out of the Dzone unchallenged. Good. Blocking shots. Good. PK. Pretty good. Luck. Tremendous amount of luck. That's it. So to me that's a #6. Maybe a #5 on a lesser team.

Ideally I would say if they were to add a top 4 RHD or LHD then we'd see

Rielly xxx
Brodie Liljegren

Or
Rielly Brodie
xxx Liljegren

Holl and Giordano as the bottom pairing would be good.
He's actually one of the best 1 on 1 guys in the league. There is a stat for it and hes in the top 10%. He uses his stick very effectively to keep the puck on the outside. He tends to throw pucks up the middle a little too often. Not sure why exactly, but both Reilly and Timmins do this a little too often as well.

Where he lacks is not enough push back in puck battles and he for whatever reason will not use his stick to clear the blue paint and leave forwards with green, purple, and black ribs, upper arms, lower backs and hip bones. That said almost no Leaf defenders in a very long while have used that tool in a long while. In fact currently it's only Gio who will do so occasionally.

If the Leafs go out and get anything, a crease clearing bulldozer would be job #1.

Chychrun ain't that guy, but Luke Schenn might be.

In a expanded deal it could be Schenn and.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad