Rank our Defensemen. (please)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So it's nearing deadline time, we see a million rumors. I'm curious who people think are upgradable, expendable or replaceable.

In my opinion it has to be fairly universal that Brodie, Gio and Liligren are absurd to even talk about and Rielly is a pretty big stretch to. I know some in Leaf Nation want MO gone but that's not in the air with Dubas.

Sandin-upside, youth, pp, is great with Timmy. Also cheap.
Holl- Pk, size good defensive metrics. Expiring contract, cheap.
Timmins-bring offense, cheap, depth.

Flipping Holl, if you could actually find an upgrade, kind of makes sense but id rather keep him for playoff depth. Can we really upgrade our D or trade any of them this year? Should we trade Sandin to get Chychrun? Or just trade futures and call him Holls replacement for next year?

Brodie
Rielly
Liligren
Gio
Sandin
Holl
Timmins

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Rielly is still no.1 even though he makes us angry, don't kid yourself. The D being soft and stinky isn't on Rielly being bad defensively. That sounds weird but it makes sense to anyone who follows this team.

Your no.1 being bad defensively not being the reason your D is too soft and not good enough defensively is something a guy like Dubas would find himself in. I can write a 10 page essay to support why this is true and you have to forgive rielly, but I'm fed up carrying people who can't think logically for themselves.

Dallas made it all the way to the cup finals just because heiskenen and klingberg had skill. Rielly is our most important D when attrition becomes main factor in who wins the cup as long as he stays healthy / is healthy at that time

I hope we scrape by round 1 so people can see it. By then if Rielly is healthy his skillset will have the puck on his stick for half the game. Rest of our D are big jokes if your comparing to Riellys skill.

Sorry, seeing Brodie out of all D ahead of Rielly angered me. Brodie is so over rated now especially his soft game in playoffs with no skill. Had to rant. I'm good now.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Mo
Liljegren
Brodie
Gio/Sandin
Holl
Timmins
Muzzin

Mo has his warts but is still a top puck mover and skates it out well - he’d have a Norris if he could shoot the puck, and I think he should have won the year Gio got his. By the end of his deal he’ll be worth less than an old shoe but he’ll have gotten his.

Timmay is an all around monster and needs to be locked in cheap, but won’t be, but it’s better than losing him.

Brodie has all the offensive skill of Ryan Reaves but he’s a solid A in the Dzone. He’s starting to suffer from wear and tear, hopefully Topi can eat some of his minutes in two years when he’s out.

Gio is on the way down and Sandin is headed up. Gio should probably not be eating as much minutes as he does, Sandin is not yet able to.

Holl will be offered 3.5/4 by Dubas and we’re all gonna be sad.

Timmins needs to prove more but has solid offensive chops. Looks an excellent #5 who can PP and facilitate offense.

Muzzin is currently constructing his villa on Robidas Island.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Right now

Rielly
Brodie
Holl
Gio
Liljegren
Sandin
Timmins
Benn

I know a lot of people will dislike but the reality is liljegren/sandin has been played on a 3rd pair majority of season vs holl who played the entire season in top 4, been the d who played against toughest matchup, bigger defensove situation, most on PK...

Liljegren when keefe are able to choose his matchup on home game

Hes +14 in home game... in seven home game against playoff team +7

Away game where keefe cant choose his matchup, hes +6 with 3 assist at even strenght. In 11 game against playoff team on the road +2

Holl +5 in both home and away

Vs playoff team

In 9 home gane against playoff team playing against top line, hes at -1

Away vs playoff team in 14 game when keefe wasn't able to use matchup he want everytime by using holl against top opposite line... holl was at +6 in 14 game...

I know its not the beat stats but probably interesting to see avanced stats liljegren/sandin/holl in away/home game...

I dont think people here understand
than holl make liljegren and sandin looking better by taking the best matchup away of those 2 player most of the time

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Mo
Liljegren
Brodie
Gio/Sandin
Holl
Timmins
Muzzin

Mo has his warts but is still a top puck mover and skates it out well - he’d have a Norris if he could shoot the puck, and I think he should have won the year Gio got his. By the end of his deal he’ll be worth less than an old shoe but he’ll have gotten his.

Timmay is an all around monster and needs to be locked in cheap, but won’t be, but it’s better than losing him.

Brodie has all the offensive skill of Ryan Reaves but he’s a solid A in the Dzone. He’s starting to suffer from wear and tear, hopefully Topi can eat some of his minutes in two years when he’s out.

Gio is on the way down and Sandin is headed up. Gio should probably not be eating as much minutes as he does, Sandin is not yet able to.

Holl will be offered 3.5/4 by Dubas and we’re all gonna be sad.

Timmins needs to prove more but has solid offensive chops. Looks an excellent #5 who can PP and facilitate offense.

Muzzin is currently constructing his villa on Robidas Island.
all ok but Holl will not be offered anywhere near that by Dubas, i hope that was tongue in cheek.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd guess that we're likely to be looking at our playoff blueline already. Rielly, Brodie and Giordano are the experienced holdovers while both of Sandin and Liljegren need to play at this point IMO. Trading Holl - either directly or indirectly - for an upgrade is easier to do in theory than it is in practice. Timmins and Benn provide cover on either side in the event that the blueline necessitates having a different look.

Rielly
Brodie
Giordano
Holl
Liljegren
Sandin
Timmins
Benn

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I can't believe the results here.

I was convinced about a week ago that most people would come in here and rank Rielly last (after the LTIR/possibly never to return Muzzin).

What happened to you people?

Reactions: Al14

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't believe the results here.

I was convinced about a week ago that most people would come in here and rank Rielly last (after the LTIR/possibly never to return Muzzin).

What happened to you people?
It's the weekend, kids don't get out of bed before noon.
Don't worry they'll be a long shortly.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
This is who I think has played the best so far and who I’m comfortable out in the playoffs. In general though rielly would be first.

Lilly
Brodie
Gio
Rielly
Timmins
Holl/sandin - prefer a physical top 4 upgrade but still both solid this year

Reactions: geo25

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Gio
Lily
Rielly
Brodie
Holl
Sandin
Timmins

Solid d corp but nothing exceptional. I think Rielly is pretty overrated now, he was more dynamic offensively several years ago and his defence hasn’t improved I think, however I’m sure some would angrily beg to differ.
Brodie is pretty solid defensively but pretty useless offensively; Holl is a lesser version of that. Sandin is fairly disappointing tbh. Timmins has excellent offensive awareness and good D but seems to have a bit of Jake Gardiner in his game.

Lily is absolutely beautiful and Gio is just all around the most vital and impactful d man on the club.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Gio
Lily
Rielly
Brodie
Holl
Sandin
Timmins

Solid d corp but nothing exceptional. I think Rielly is pretty overrated now, he was more dynamic offensively several years ago and his defence hasn’t improved I think, however I’m sure some would angrily beg to differ.
Brodie is pretty solid defensively but pretty useless offensively; Holl is a lesser version of that. Sandin is fairly disappointing tbh. Timmins has excellent offensive awareness and good D but seems to have a bit of Jake Gardiner in his game.

Lily is absolutely beautiful and Gio is just all around the most vital and impactful d man on the club.
Timmins and Gardener are nothing alike. Timmins actually has some defense to his game.

Reactions: Al14 and ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
it's unbelievable how badly some of you understimate Holls value to the Leaf blueline

for the hard core haters please read this article, it's not an adulation piece it's straight facts

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3