Rank our Defensemen. (please)

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
He's actually one of the best 1 on 1 guys in the league. There is a stat for it and hes in the top 10%. He uses his stick very effectively to keep the puck on the outside. He tends to throw pucks up the middle a little too often. Not sure why exactly, but both Reilly and Timmins do this a little too often as well.

Where he lacks is not enough push back in puck battles and he for whatever reason will not use his stick to clear the blue paint and leave forwards with green, purple, and black ribs, upper arms, lower backs and hip bones. That said almost no Leaf defenders in a very long while have used that tool in a long while. In fact currently it's only Gio who will do so occasionally.

If the Leafs go out and get anything, a crease clearing bulldozer would be job #1.

Chychrun ain't that guy, but Luke Schenn might be.

In a expanded deal it could be Schenn and.....

I'd be alright with Schenn over Holl as the number 6 really. Holl's biggest problem is playing the puck about 10ft up the boards from the corner. As soon as he turns to retreat behind the net he's done. This is where his luck kicks in though and his partner bails him out, the goalie does or the opposition just make a horrible play. Timmins and Rielly make the same play way less but it always ends up in the back of the net.

I'm fine with Holl as a #6. And this is coming from someone that literally would've accepted a bag of pucks for him after last year's playoffs when he was put in over Liljegren. If he's any higher I expect another early exit.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
This is how I rank them in value. The list differs when you ask who is playing well this season.

Reilly
Brodie
Gio
Lilli
Sandin
Holl
Timmons
Benn

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He's actually one of the best 1 on 1 guys in the league. There is a stat for it and hes in the top 10%. He uses his stick very effectively to keep the puck on the outside. He tends to throw pucks up the middle a little too often. Not sure why exactly, but both Reilly and Timmins do this a little too often as well.

Where he lacks is not enough push back in puck battles and he for whatever reason will not use his stick to clear the blue paint and leave forwards with green, purple, and black ribs, upper arms, lower backs and hip bones. That said almost no Leaf defenders in a very long while have used that tool in a long while. In fact currently it's only Gio who will do so occasionally.

If the Leafs go out and get anything, a crease clearing bulldozer would be job #1.

Chychrun ain't that guy, but Luke Schenn might be.

In a expanded deal it could be Schenn and.....
I don't suppose you know the difference between his defensive metrics and Holls? It seems like that's who he'd edge out.

My understanding is the ask on Schenn is in 2nd territory. The ask on Gavrikov is said to be around a 1rst. I'm not sure which is the better investment.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This is extremely tough to measure when you don't know how others value pure defence over offence . . . so I will speak plainly - I put defence as 60% of the score, offence as 40% of the defenceman's score. Fair? I think so, but opinions may differ . . . so based on that it's RIGHT NOW

Giordano
Brodie
Rielly
Liljegren
Holl
Timmins
Sandin

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't suppose you know the difference between his defensive metrics and Holls? It seems like that's who he'd edge out.

My understanding is the ask on Schenn is in 2nd territory. The ask on Gavrikov is said to be around a 1rst. I'm not sure which is the better investment.
The best investment is getting the guy who not only helps the team move forward, but will stick around and end up being worth more than whatever asset we move.

Avg value of a 2nd round pick is probably 50 to 100 NHL games(not absolutely sure on that) in and of itself. So using that for a Schenn, whos presence might help the Leafs win a round, maybe two may on the face of it seem like money well spent, or does it?

The goal as always is all the marbles, anything less of course, will always feel empty, but maybe that one round acts as the springboard that gets them all the way there.

Schenns physicality may finally be what sparks a fire in the other guys, who finally keep Lightning forwards out of the crease, and like dominoes what finally inspires Leafs forwards into crashing the crease at the other end of the rink.

Teams can win it all using 1 or more of the following strategies, they get a dominant performance from one or more of the top 4. They get a Conn Smythe performance out of one of their goaltenders or in this case Dirty Murr delivers what hes delivered before. However to do that he needs room to work, he needs good lanes of vision and for that his crease has to be kept neat and tidy by his teammates, and to do that it starts by extracting a price for any infringements of the crease.

The forwards to a man have to out skate, out muscle, out shoot and out think the opposition every night for 8 weeks.

It all has to have a certain synchronicity always working in layers like a well oiled machine.

It always works the same way, and there is no way around it, you have to out muscle and punish the opponents.

To sum it up the Leafs need brick layers, not ballerinas

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
In pairs as in who seems most effective and compatible from what I've seen this year

Rielly Brodie

Brodie Liljegren

Rielly Liljegren

Gio Holl

Gio Liljegren

Liljegren Holl

Sandin Liljegren

Sandin Holl

Liljegren Timmins

Sandin Timmins

snipes29

Sep 24, 2022
So it's nearing deadline time, we see a million rumors. I'm curious who people think are upgradable, expendable or replaceable.

In my opinion it has to be fairly universal that Brodie, Gio and Liligren are absurd to even talk about and Rielly is a pretty big stretch to. I know some in Leaf Nation want MO gone but that's not in the air with Dubas.

Sandin-upside, youth, pp, is great with Timmy. Also cheap.
Holl- Pk, size good defensive metrics. Expiring contract, cheap.
Timmins-bring offense, cheap, depth.

Flipping Holl, if you could actually find an upgrade, kind of makes sense but id rather keep him for playoff depth. Can we really upgrade our D or trade any of them this year? Should we trade Sandin to get Chychrun? Or just trade futures and call him Holls replacement for next year?

Brodie
Rielly
Liligren
Gio
Sandin
Holl
Timmins
Reilly is brutal since his return weve lost a ton of games but meat stick Keefe keeps putting him out there ? Wake up keefe you clown

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Brodie
Liljegren
Giordano
Muzzin - if he ever suits up again.
Rielly
Timmins
Sandin
Holl
Benn
Mete

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Brodie

Lily

Rielly (but so freaking over rated)
Gio
Holl
Sandin

Timmins

Benn/Mete

horner

May 22, 2007
Defensively
Brodie
Lilly
Gio
Mo
Holl
Sandin
Timmins

Offensively
Mo
Lilly
Timmins
Sandin
Geo
Brodie
Holl

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Rielly (he's so underrated)
Brodie
Giordano
Liljegren
Sandin
Timmins
Holl
Benn
Mette

Holl is the one I find fluctuating from week to week. Sometimes he seems like a legit top 4 guy, other times I feel like he should be waived. I ranked him lower because I don't trust him to be at his best in the playoffs. Someone that hot and cold could be dangerous playing 20 minutes a game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Defensively
Brodie
Lilly
Sandin
Gio
Holl
Timmins
Mo

Offensively
Mo