Rank First Round D Picks for the Last 2 Years

highlight22

Jun 14, 2011
Rank Them Based on how you see their Careers going.

2010 Draft Order
Erik Gudbranson
Dylan McIlrath
Cam Fowler
Brandon Gormley
Derek Forbort
Mark Pysyk
Jarred Tinordi

2011 Draft Order
Adam Larsson
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin
Duncan Siemens
Ryan Murphy
Jamie Oleksiak
Nathan Beaulieu
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Murphy
Joe Morrow
Stuart Percy

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Adam Larsson
Cam Fowler
Dougie Hamilton
Oscar Klefbom
Erik Gudbranson
Brandon Gormley
Ryan Murphy
Jonas Brodin
Derek Forbort
Jamie Oleksiak
Nathan Beaulieu
Duncan Siemens
Joe Morrow
Dylan McIlrath
Stuart Percy
Mark Pysyk
Jarred Tinordi
Connor Murphy

highlight22

Jun 14, 2011
Adam Larsson
Cam Fowler
Dougie Hamilton
Oscar Klefbom
Erik Gudbranson
Brandon Gormley
Ryan Murphy
Jonas Brodin
Derek Forbort
Jamie Oleksiak
Nathan Beaulieu
Duncan Siemens
Joe Morrow
Dylan McIlrath
Stuart Percy
Mark Pysyk
Jarred Tinordi
Connor Murphy

Solid List. Whats the main reason you have Klefbom so high?, Where do you see the cut off for the ones that make the NHL fulltime?

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Solid List. Whats the main reason you have Klefbom so high?, Where do you see the cut off for the ones that make the NHL fulltime?

I think all of them has a good shot at making the NHL.

For Klefbom, I put him that high because his game is very complete. Very solid offensively, moves the puck very well, underrated defensive game potential, very big, physical, and a solid leader (U18 Sweden captain).

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
1. Cam Fowler
2. Ryan Murphy
3. Dougie Hamilton
4. Adam Larsson
5. Jonas Brodin
6. Jarred Tinordi
7. Oscar Klefbom
8. Nathan Beaulieu
9. Brandon Gormley
10. Dylan McIlrath
HM. Stuart Percy

Defense_1st

Jun 2, 2006
Wpg,Canada
2010 Draft Order
2-Erik Gudbranson
5-Dylan McIlrath
1-Cam Fowler
3-Brandon Gormley
4-Derek Forbort
6-Mark Pysyk
5-Jarred Tinordi

2011 Draft Order
1-Adam Larsson
3-Dougie Hamilton
8-Jonas Brodin
6-Duncan Siemens
2-Ryan Murphy
7-Jamie Oleksiak
4-Nathan Beaulieu
5-Oscar Klefbom
9-Connor Murphy
9-Joe Morrow

That's how I see them.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Rank Them Based on how you see their Careers going.

2010 Draft Order
Erik Gudbranson
Dylan McIlrath
Cam Fowler
Brandon Gormley
Derek Forbort
Mark Pysyk
Jarred Tinordi

2011 Draft Order
Adam Larsson
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin
Duncan Siemens
Ryan Murphy
Jamie Oleksiak
Nathan Beaulieu
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Murphy
Joe Morrow
Stuart Percy

Only doing top 10;

1.Adam Larsson
2.Cam Fowler
3.Dougie Hamilton
4.Eric Gudbranson
5.Brandon Gormely
6.Jonas Brodin
7.Duncan Siemens
8.Ryan Murphy
9.Oscar Klefbom
10.Nathan Beaulieu

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Huge homer-ism :laugh:

That or maybe I believe in the Button...

Some people say he looked horrid last year, others say he might play top 4 and be 6'7 and mean. It's not like anyone smart will bet their life on my list, so I'll stick to my hunches. But you are absolutely right to point out I'm well outside the consensus all the way through my list, but on Tinordi especially.

Mr Lahey*

Adam Larsson
Cam Fowler
Ryan Murphy
Erik Gudbranson
Dougie Hamilyon

My top 5

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Im not going to do a whole list but I dont agree with some people selling Pysyk so low.

Almost a lock for the WJC for Canada, was a plus 30 for the oil kings last year.

Potential number 2 compliment player for a flashy number 1.

And his hockey IQ is fantastic

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
2010 Draft Order
Cam Fowler
Erik Gudbranson
Brandon Gormley
Derek Forbort
Dylan McIlrath
Mark Pysyk
Jarred Tinordi

2011 Draft Order
Adam Larsson
Ryan Murphy
Dougie Hamilton
Duncan Siemens
Oscar Klefbom
Nathan Beaulieu
Jonas Brodin
Jamie Oleksiak
Connor Murphy
Joe Morrow
Stuart Percy

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
Im not going to do a whole list but I dont agree with some people selling Pysyk so low.

Almost a lock for the WJC for Canada, was a plus 30 for the oil kings last year.

Potential number 2 compliment player for a flashy number 1.

And his hockey IQ is fantastic
Draft position, non-flashy, decent but not spectacular year. Nothing wrong with being underrated. I think he'll end up better than some of those drafted before him, but I don't expect him to turn heads until he gets to the NHL. Hell, I don't even expect him to turn a lot of heads while he's in the NHL, guys like Lydman or Tallinder were under the radar for quite some time.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Adam Larson
Dougie Hamilton
Brandon Gormley
Cam Fowler
Ryan Murphy
Jonas Brodin
Erik Gudbranson
Nathan Beaulieu
Derek Forbort
Jarred Tinordi
Duncan Siemens
Jamie Oleksiak
Oscar Klefbom
Joe Morrow
Connor Murphy
Mark Pysyk
Dylan McIlrath
Stuart Percy

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Murphy=Overrated, why do you think so many teams passed on him. Very one-dimensioal...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Murphy=Overrated, why do you think so many teams passed on him. Very one-dimensioal...

With all of these young players, they're being ranked/drafted on pure potential, and factoring in risk. Murphy had some more risk, but his "potential" is higher than Siemens, Brodin or even Fowler.

People who look at my rankings, or anyone elses on this post, and say "how can you have X player over Y player" or "X player is too low", it's totally impossible to say.

Within this group, there aren't that many players that truly separate themselves from the others around them. Put it another way: how many of these 18 guys have legit Norris potential? Maybe only 5 or 6 will develop to that kind of level. So a lot of these guys are pretty close to each other from one to the next down the list.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
Just wondering, why is everyone so low on Siemens? Solid game even despite his being one of the youngest players in the draft. I haven't seen him play, but I hear that if he figures a few things out he could be a very strong defender and that a lot of people downplay his upside since he's a physical player.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Just wondering, why is everyone so low on Siemens? Solid game even despite his being one of the youngest players in the draft. I haven't seen him play, but I hear that if he figures a few things out he could be a very strong defender and that a lot of people downplay his upside since he's a physical player.

Well, one could argue that Siemens doesn't have the same 2-way or, specifically, the offensive upside or elite hockey sense that some of the other guys have. At the same time, he may be one of the "safer" picks and ranks very high from the perspective of leadership, character & intangibles.

When ranking a list like this, you're pretty much trying to rank the degree of impact each player can make as an individual. That is the key to remember, and a separate issue from how each one of those guys may fit into a whole team or organization.

Siemens is a guys that may not have the "upside" or impact of Ryan Murphy on the ice, but could have a big impact in the dressing room and compliment the other guys on that team or bring a different element than Colorado already has.

A good analogy would be comparing a guy like Patrick Marleau to a guy like Ryan Smyth or Ryan Callahan. Marleau may be the obviously more skilled selection, but those other guys may bring an element that is more desired by certain teams, depending on the make-up of the rest of their roster.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With all of these young players, they're being ranked/drafted on pure potential, and factoring in risk. Murphy had some more risk, but his "potential" is higher than Siemens, Brodin or even Fowler.

Those are different defensemen.

Murphy could become a great offensive defenseman or he could become MAB.

The risk factor on him is huge.

Brodin wasn't talked about on these boards but scouts definitely caught eye. The guy just turned 18 a few days ago. 17 years old and playing against guys twice his age?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Forbort isn't a flashy player, Kings drafted him because he is a big body that simply gets it done on the rink. He was drafted basically as a Matt Greene replacement that can play in the top 4. I don't think he'll ever be a top defenseman in the league, but I think he'll be one of those underrated guys that just does his job well like Scuderi or Mitchell, but with more upside offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad