Rumor: Rangers working on a Giordano deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Giordano makes a ton of sense in so many ways. His contract is bad for most teams but it's perfect for this team. 1 year left @ $6.75m is too much for most teams to even think about acquiring. He's 37 and played big minutes for a bad team last year that couldn't score and did well. Cut back his usage and tough minutes and you're looking at a nice veteran presence for a season with his contract expiring right when Zibanejad and Fox's new deals kick in. On top of that, as he is older than 35, if the team wanted to re-sign him they could do so on 1 year deals with some bonuses if necessary.

The guy is known to be in phenomenal shape and is still looking to win so he is hungry. Worst case scenario would be that he doesn't work out and the Rangers trade him at the deadline for a late round pick to a team looking for defensive depth.
his contract is not bad. he's still a top pair D.

he's just old. old players are so underrated lol

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I believe there are few cities DeAngelo would hate more than Seattle, and few people the city of Seattle may hate more than Tony DeAngelo.

I think it’s a bit more conservative on the other side of Puget Sound though….it’s not like Philly is a right wing stronghold either.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
If the Rangers made a trade that affected the expansion selection, wouldn't the trade call have to have been made and announced by now?

I’d expect it could be announced during the draft or at least just before. Finally the leaks are getting out though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
his contract is not bad. he's still a top pair D.

he's just old. old players are so underrated lol

I think they come with a certain risk. Anyone acquiring someone like Giordano is hoping they a) fit in on a new team and b) don't fall off a cliff at the ag of 38. That's quite a bit of risk when you are also taking on a $6.75m contract. There is some reward to, for sure, but there is quite a bit of risk.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I think they come with a certain risk. Anyone acquiring someone like Giordano is hoping they a) fit in on a new team and b) don't fall off a cliff at the ag of 38. That's quite a bit of risk when you are also taking on a $6.75m contract. There is some reward to, for sure, but there is quite a bit of risk.
that risk is minimal....he has one year left on his contract

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I think the fact that we've got a ton of space this season makes it not a serious risk.

Fox and Kakko are gonna need all of that cap and more the season after, so making user of the space for one season is a good call. Robertson isn't ready yet and Miller needs a safety blanket.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Modest Grouse

Sponsor
Jun 20, 2019
The risk is largely mitigated because Giordano only has one year left on his contract, although unlike us, most teams are not in a position to take on $6.75m with the flat cap. I really like what he'll bring with his experience and leadership, just hoping it didn't cost too much in terms of what Drury sent the other way. Giordano was on my fantasy squad this year so I think that makes me somewhat of an authority on the topic. ;)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Aren't we stacked on D already? Why are we adding Gio?

We are stacked on D tomorrow, not today.

Miller was thrust into a top 4 role way too early in his career.

There is a massive black hole at the #4 defenseman spot behind Fox, Trouba, Lindgren. This solves that and lets Miller develop at a more reasonable pace.

Then, if Giordano departs, there's a spot for Jones/Robertson, whichever isn't traded.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have a bad feeling Drury is going to do something stupid like flip Buch's rights for Gio at 50%.

Sure, Gio at 50% is okay, but it's for one year and he likely won't be brought back, it will just be to give Robertson time before stepping into that spot. It would be a bad trade.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

There is a massive black hole at the #4 defenseman spot behind Fox, Trouba, Lindgren. This solves that and lets Miller develop at a more reasonable pace.

Jones/Robertson too. Drury has impressed.

Reactions: Fitzy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think the fact that we've got a ton of space this season makes it not a serious risk.

Fox and Kakko are gonna need all of that cap and more the season after, so making user of the space for one season is a good call. Robertson isn't ready yet and Miller needs a safety blanket.

I agree, it's minimal risk for the Rangers. But for other teams where they would have to shuffle things around just to try to fit him while taking age and new team into account it may not have been worth it.

From a Rangers perspective this makes a ton of sense, depending on the cost.

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Then, if Giordano departs, there's a spot for Jones/Robertson, whichever isn't traded.

The other thing is LIKELY does is if Jones and Robertson appear to need a bit more time, they could try to hang on to Giordano as a veteran 3rd pairing LD for another year if his play remains steady. At his age he will be looking at 1 year deals more than likely (unless you're Edmonton and Mike Smith....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad