Rumor: Rangers working on a Giordano deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I honestly don't understand Carp's tweet. Either they picked him or they didn't.

So, is he saying they were going to pick him but the Rangers made a trade to convince them otherwise? If so, Vince's tweet contradicts that idea.

If he actually means they pick him and then trade him back, a) I thought that wasn't allowed (unless maybe that's only if you then retain salary), b) why focus on a 13th man like Blackwell (which is all he is on an actual contender) as opposed to any other asset SEA has accumulated, and c) the bit about Giordano reads like pure speculation on his part.

EDIT: also, why structure it for after they make the pick? Why not simply have a deal in place where SEA sends NYR a player (e.g. Giordano) + their agreement to pick a different player and NYR sends back the agreed upon return. Why make it two separate events?

Like I said, doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Seattle had to submit their picks this morning are they just allowed to change the puck in the middle of the day? Meaning if they selected Blackwell this morning are they allowed to just call the league and change that all of a sudden? I’d think not

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If Seattle had to submit their picks this morning are they just allowed to change the puck in the middle of the day? Meaning if they selected Blackwell this morning are they allowed to just call the league and change that all of a sudden? I’d think not
I would have the odds lower than 50/50 that Carp understood the rules before making that tweet

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Of course not, Carp is a clown

Reactions: Daves a mess

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My guess (if Carp makes any sense), an unreported Ranger trade for Giordano already took place.

Rangers paid for Seattle to take him, (and possibly also for whatever value beyond that to actually get him) (and possibly that included them also taking Blackwell as their pick from the Ranger instead of someone else, and he just had that part backwards)

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Giordano makes a ton of sense in so many ways. His contract is bad for most teams but it's perfect for this team. 1 year left @ $6.75m is too much for most teams to even think about acquiring. He's 37 and played big minutes for a bad team last year that couldn't score and did well. Cut back his usage and tough minutes and you're looking at a nice veteran presence for a season with his contract expiring right when Zibanejad and Fox's new deals kick in. On top of that, as he is older than 35, if the team wanted to re-sign him they could do so on 1 year deals with some bonuses if necessary.

The guy is known to be in phenomenal shape and is still looking to win so he is hungry. Worst case scenario would be that he doesn't work out and the Rangers trade him at the deadline for a late round pick to a team looking for defensive depth.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Giordano will be 38 at the beginning of this coming season. At least he's 5 years younger than Zdeno Chara. :D

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean there's a possibility that the Rangers made a deal for Seattle to pick Giordano that involved an agreement that they'd either expose Blackwell or that it ensured Blackwell would be the pick. Seems more likely that Carp just confused himself trying to word a tweet.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Giordano makes a ton of sense in so many ways. His contract is bad for most teams but it's perfect for this team. 1 year left @ $6.75m is too much for most teams to even think about acquiring. He's 37 and played big minutes for a bad team last year that couldn't score and did well. Cut back his usage and tough minutes and you're looking at a nice veteran presence for a season with his contract expiring right when Zibanejad and Fox's new deals kick in. On top of that, as he is older than 35, if the team wanted to re-sign him they could do so on 1 year deals with some bonuses if necessary.

The guy is known to be in phenomenal shape and is still looking to win so he is hungry. Worst case scenario would be that he doesn't work out and the Rangers trade him at the deadline for a late round pick to a team looking for defensive depth.

his contract is not bad… for anyone. Giordano is still a great player

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
If the Rangers made a trade that affected the expansion selection, wouldn't the trade call have to have been made and announced by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad