Rumor: Rangers Won't Invite Any Veterans on PTO's

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am slightly surprised they didn't bring in someone who plays with a bit of an edge like McLeod so that he wouldn't need to play every pre-season game. I'm not upset about it, just slightly surprised

How about Brendan Smith and Beleskey?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
"Glut of centers"

Zibanejad
Hayes

giphy.gif

Spooner, Nieves, Namestnikov, Chytil, Andersson, Fogarty, Fontaine, Howden, Holland, Lettieri and Gettinger.

Reactions: DanishRanger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
And as soon as two injuries hit, people will wonder why we're playing some career AHL'er or waiver fodder.

You know, just like last year.
Guys that sign PTOs--aren't they basically waiver fodder? Established players who will have a spot locked down all year aren't usually signing PTOs, are they?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's guys out there I'd take over Peter Holland
That will take PTOs? Honestly, how many guys take a PTO and even end up signing an NHL SPC? Let alone contributing anything? I can't imagine it's more than a small handful each year, if that. I feel like 90% or more of guys on PTOs never even get a deal.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That will take PTOs? Honestly, how many guys take a PTO and even end up signing an NHL SPC? Let alone contributing anything? I can't imagine it's more than a small handful each year.

And then, beyond that, how many of them are anything more than a barely marginal improvement over whatever other option you have? (In this case Holland)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I like Nieves a lot more than Holland--at least if we're talking about a 4th line C. Nieves is bigger, stronger and faster and he's not complete shit defensively. He won't produce a lot of offense but Holland won't either.

This might seem counterintuitive but I think Nieves is a better NHL player than Holland but Holland is a better AHL player than Nieves--so put them where they'll do their best.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Personally I like Nieves a lot more than Holland--at least if we're talking about a 4th line C. Nieves is bigger, stronger and faster and he's not complete **** defensively. He won't produce a lot of offense but Holland won't either.

This might seem counterintuitive but I think Nieves is a better NHL player than Holland but Holland is a better AHL player than Nieves--so put them where they'll do their best.

Holland doesn’t have a nick name like honey pie, big hauss, or sweet pea does he?

If not, then my vote is still for Boo on the depth chart.

Reactions: eco's bones

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Fontaine hadn't been playing so much wing I'd throw his name out for the 4C spot.

There's always a chance that Namestnikov ends up centering the 4th if he starts slow.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And as soon as two injuries hit, people will wonder why we're playing some career AHL'er or waiver fodder.

You know, just like last year.

Unfortunately, it's going to happen.

I'm not totally sure that at least two of Andersson, Chytil and Howden don't spend a good chunk of the year in the AHL, nor would I be shocked if all 3 are down there at various points throughout the year.

We can't lose sight of the age of the players we're talking about.

It's one thing to point to younger players like Buchnevich, ADA, Pionk and Georgiev and talk about growth and expectations.

It's another thing to talk about kids who will be 19 and 20 for just about all of the regular season.

Subconsciously, many people have this image of these kids marching in like an invading army set to lead us to glory. The reality is that it will come in waves, with high tide and low tide, over several years.

Even if everything falls into place, the 2018 draft alone would "realistically" see returns over a 1-5 year spread. We're talking 2019-2023.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would have liked to see a veteran 4th line center type on hand so that it would be easier to trade Hayes.

I also would have bought a different grade of sandpaper than McLeod

I'll venture a guess the Rangers might be taking a wait and see approach.

Not just with their prospects, but with someone like Holland or potentially even the waiver wire.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Fontaine hadn't been playing so much wing I'd throw his name out for the 4C spot.

There's always a chance that Namestnikov ends up centering the 4th if he starts slow.

One thing I can say about the potential roster, there's certainly the chance for some versatility.

It remains to be seen how successful it might be, but there are a number of guys who can probably slide between the wings and center as needed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And yet people insist this isn’t a bottom five team.
I think you're being borderline petty here with this argument. Nearly everyone agrees this is a bottom 10 team. Saying they're almore likely to finish say 7th instead of 5th isn't something to get all wound up on...it's something youve brought up a looottttttt, when it seems like, most of us would agree, just a nitpicky semantics type issue.

Reactions: Machinehead

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Did you catch this pic? That's a whole lot of veterans for a rebuilding team, some more senior than others...but still.

So I'd say we have enough of them, many are also good leaders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad