Rumor: Rangers Won't Invite Any Veterans on PTO's

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
my thoughts would be "good"

they honsetly already have enough returning vets to make it tough for kids to crack the lineup anyways so why bother inviting more mediocre vets

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Glut of centers"

Zibanejad
Hayes

giphy.gif

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think that is the right thing to do, I hate giving preseason icetime to some garbage vets rather than giving it to prospects that really need it for their development.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am slightly surprised they didn't bring in someone who plays with a bit of an edge like McLeod so that he wouldn't need to play every pre-season game. I'm not upset about it, just slightly surprised

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am slightly surprised they didn't bring in someone who plays with a bit of an edge like McLeod so that he wouldn't need to play every pre-season game. I'm not upset about it, just slightly surprised
Fair point. I'd expect Salvaggio and Lindgren to get into their first scraps. Also, I don't know if Leedahl fought last year but he did plenty in Junior. No real heavies there, though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fair point. I'd expect Salvaggio and Lindgren to get into their first scraps. Also, I don't know if Leedahl fought last year but he did plenty in Junior. No real heavies there, though.

I forgot about Leedahl who I actually like. But still, normally we would see a 2-3 guys like that in the line-up for preseason games. The organization in general lacks these guys (hence the 'need' to sign McLeod).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I would have liked to see a veteran center brought in in case the youngin's fall on their faces.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would have liked to see a veteran center brought in in case the youngin's fall on their faces.

Isn't Belesky a center

plus, even though I don't like them at center, Namestnikov and Spooner can play that position as well

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Isn't Belesky a center

plus, even though I don't like them at center, Namestnikov and Spooner can play that position as well
Don't recall seeing Beleskey playing center (doesn't mean it hasn't happened). I think it Namestnikov/Spooner could fill in as 3C, but having them both at 3C/4C depletes the wings too much and puts one of them in a spot I think they've earned more than at this point of their careers.

I guess they see Holland as that guy?
Forgot about him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've never understood the "glut of [insert position]" line of thinking, unless you're at a point where you have multiple players vying for the same role, and having proven themselves/advanced to the point where a decision has to be made.

Until you arrive at that point, all you have is a bunch of maybes. For as talented as Andersson, Chytil and Howden are, they are maybes at this stage in their development.

I don't consider Nieves to be a long-term challenge for any of those three. If he is, then that's a serious problem.

Hayes is on a one year deal that will either result in him being traded in 6 months, or extended. There's no middle ground there.

Zibanejad, with his pros, cons and everything in-between, is the only top 6 NHL talent signed beyond this season. We'll see how he does, and if he can stay healthy.

Namestnikov and Spooner are not looks to be here long-term, nor are they exclusively centers. So if either has to move off and on between the wings while things get figured out, then that's what has to happen. But I also suspect that was part of the plan as well --- have guys who bring some versatility for the short-term.

Peter Holland is a guy who might fill-in as stop-gap this season. He could spend the entire year with the big club, the entire year in Hartford, or a lot of time shuttling between the two teams. But again, a glut does not Holland make.

The Rangers have enough to vets to plug in holes if they need to.

If this was a team looking to challenge for the Division, it would be cause for concern. But in terms of having guys to step in and take shifts, I'm not particularly worried about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad