Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs Sens. Philoops edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Lets hope some young guns get called up and one of them shows the potential to be a 20 goal scorer. I 've been really disappointed to see all of prospects fail to produce when called up

Who has failed when given the proper opportunity?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Well I'm saying overpriced in terms of mortgaging the future, because I'm at least hoping something will be done this season to start correcting flaws. 7M a season for two more seasons after this is definitely a bit too much -- I'm thinking realistic options if you want to be a competitive team (also trying to keep some perspective from an 'at the time' view that we weren't going to turn out this badly).

My point is that if we want to be a competitive team we'd better be prepared to be at least a mid cap spending team. If we go the bargain route again next season we can expect more of the same as this year.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Da Costa, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, Grant. Maybe they havent all been given the best opportunities but they still havent all produced that well.

I remember when Da Costa was last here he was directly responsible for three sens wins and they we sent him down.

What more can the guy do?

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Da Costa, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, Grant. Maybe they havent all been given the best opportunities but they still havent all produced that well.

DaCosta was beginning to play consistently well. Stone was also gradually improving. As far as our postseason is concerned, tonight's game effectively hammered the final nail in the coffin. As a result, I really wouldn't mind seeing DaCosta and Stone called up to give them some extra games. Or maybe not - I'd want to stay the hell away from this team until things get sorted out.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

Hoffman played 3 games when called up earlier.
Pageau played most of his games with Kassian as his winger.
Stone played with Spezza and was starting to find his groove before being injured and then sent down
Grant again played most of his time with Kassian and is not expected to be a goal scorer.
DaCosta looked very good on his call up and was sent down before the Olympics....Still not sure why

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Stone played with Spezza and was starting to find his groove before being injured and then sent down
Grant again played most of his time with Kassian and is not expected to be a goal scorer.
DaCosta looked very good on his call up and was sent down before the Olympics....Still not sure why

cuz best players play

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The da costa move is completely baffling. So was waiving Conacher to me even if I wasn't amazed with him.

DaCosta was even producing after being demoted to the 4th line.

Still sent him down. A lot of people can address our ****ed up season to player regression but management's decisions are equal in blame, imo.

Brutal line juggling, player assignments, goalie rotations(who remembers Anderson playing back-to-back then Lehner and both doing poorly then it happens again, lol), special teams roles etc...

PHILLIPS WAS ON OUR 1ST POWERPLAY FOR HALF A SEASON FOR ****S SAKE.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Didn't want to pay his NHL salary while he was resting over the break.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
This game was a perfect example of why this season's been such a mess.

Ugh, I'm exhausted.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

I'm with you on Grant and Pageau, who looked overmatched at times, but the other three looked fine to me. Here are their stats:

Da Costa: 12 G, 3G, 1A, +2
Hoffman: 12 G, 2 G, 1A, 0
Stone: 7G, 1G, 1A, -1

There's nothing glaringly awful about those numbers, especially considering that they're playing in their first few dozen NHL games. Are these guys supposed to put up a point per game or something?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm with you on Grant and Pageau, who looked overmatched at times, but the other three looked fine to me. Here are their stats:

Da Costa: 12 G, 3G, 1A, +2
Hoffman: 12 G, 2 G, 1A, 0
Stone: 7G, 1G, 1A, -1

There's nothing glaringly awful about those numbers, especially considering that they're playing in their first few dozen NHL games. Are these guys supposed to put up a point per game or something?

Nothing glaringly wrong but stll nothing surprisingly good. Look at the production detroit is getting out of their call ups.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Eventually there will be a postmortem thread but based on how he used players all season IMO MacLean made a decision early on to live and die with certain vets and those are not just the guys wearing letters.

In the end, the team loses out because MacLean should have gone with the players who were playing the best and the leaders would have shown their true leadership by backing that move. Lehner hasn't been great but early on Anderson wasn't lighting it up either yet whenever Lehner started and won he'd pull him and play Anderson saying he's the #1 therefore he plays. Same thing happened on defense. Wiercioch and even Corvo had some very good games but then he'd sit them while Phillips and Cowen were playing like crap. At forward he kept flipping Z-Bad every second shift between the 1st and 3rd/4th line. The kid has improved in spite of MacLean and not because of him. Many many many games he insisted on playing his crash line when the team needed offense but the scorers had limited minutes. He had ample opportunity to sit out Greening and/ Condra when they played some really bad stretches and they had an extra body like Da Costa, Hoffman or Stone but he sat one of them instead. Just think, we could have easily lost Hoffman on waivers. What he's done with Ryan also is deplorable.

Team defense is as bad today as it was in game 2 of the season in Toronto. Not all of that is the fault of the young D when the breakdowns are often caused by experienced forwards and D blowing the coverage or making bad passes time and again. Why have the defensive schemes not been changed. A few astute observers have said Ottawa is one of the few teams in the NHL (if not the only team) whose centres don't cover deep in the defensive zone. Apparently MacLean wants the closest player to cover our deep zone and the centre covers the open man or covers high but that leads to confusion and often we see 2 or even 3 guys race to cover one man leaving the slot open. There are ample other examples to justify questioning MacLean's ability to strategize, assess and use talent. I hold MacLean and to some degree his assistants responsible for this mess.

Mar 17, 2014
What's weird is, we looked fantastic the first 20 minutes of the game.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
For all you GSN bashers there ice time was cut way back,no penalties so Greenings and Smiths time was short.And guess what all you real smart hockey guys one of our worse losses.What the heck please fill me in on what your reasons are tonight and please put some thought into this so for once you dont sound like a goof

lehner responsible for two goals against

phillips responsible for two goals against

2+2 = 4

7 (amount of goals they had before the empty netter) - 4 = 3

final score:

4-3 sens. we also had so many opportunities this game that could have gone our way. it was a well played game ruined by awful goaltending and brutal giveaways by phillips.

that line looks good with reduced minutes. not out long enough to make mistakes, just enough to cycle and get some shots. they are an excellent 4th line, and a decent third line. if we could get smith some better line-mates, ones that crash and bang like neil and greening, but are better offensively, we would have a dangerous physical line.

Well, a positive in this game imo was the play of Zibanejad and Hoffman.

Zibanejad was absolutely dynamic. He had 3-4 Karlsson type end-to-end rushes. His shot is lethal and he was using his body.

Zibanejad thrives the more you play him. He's gonna be a beast.

Hoffman will also be a very good NHLer.

yup and yup. also liked what i saw from the mac - turry - ryan line. they're passing it around nicely and attacking with lots of speed. hoffman - zibby - condra is like the second/third line tweener version of macarthur - turris - ryan.

you know i'm a big da costa fan, but where does he fit? zibby is too dang good at center.

michalek - spezza - hemsky
macarthur - turris - ryan
hoffman - zibanejad - stone/condra
greening - smith - neil/condra

maybe:

hoffman - da costa - zibby. i think that line would be good, but zibanejad is sick down the middle. no harm in trying it with the position we're in though. maybe it's time to audition da costa on the wing?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What's weird is, we looked fantastic the first 20 minutes of the game.

How is that weird? We've continually played great for one or two periods before having a breakdown that leads to a backbreaking goal and then we proceed to fold. This is your Ottawa Senators in 2013-2014!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad