Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Islanders - MSG - 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We werent going 3 for 3 vs NYI...if someone told me 10 days ago we'd get 2/3 I'd be ecstatic. It's the perfect time for a break. I'd like to see the Georgiev trade completed over the all star break. I'd also like for Hajek to get some games in instead of Staal, and I'd like to see them start signing the guys they plan on keeping.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
@Glen Sathers Cigar I don’t think Strome is traded at the deadline so that’s probably why he isn’t on the TSN list

That said this should be an easy decision for the front office in the summer

Can’t get any easier for them then sending Strome on his way
Yeah good point. Luckily he’s an RFA so he has value as a trade piece this summer even without a contract.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With Panarin healthy id like to see Kakko with Kreider and Zibanejad or if they’re going to keep him with Chytil then put Buch on the LW instead of Howden.

I could see it.

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Lemieux-Chytil-Buchnevich
Howden-McKegg-Smith

That third line has some speed, some grit, and some scoring. A little worried about their defense, but I'm hopeful that Brendan Lemieux can eventually turn into a penalty killer.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Drunk History is the perfect show to watch after a game like this

Deleted member 23124

Not even mad.

Outshot the Philes...out played them and there was no way on gods green earth were we beating them 3 straight times in a week and so the hockey gods ****ed with us as we couldn't buy a break all game long until the final 5 minutes....whatever.

I would think that any delusional playoff talk should now be put to bed for good. Let's just hope we come back after the break and continue being a pain in the ass to play against and keep playing the kids more and more.

That said despite the loss, THE most important part of the game at least to me it was, and I said it a few times on the Game Day thread what the play of that guy Kappo Kakko.

IMO by far his best game as a Ranger. He looked like a totally different guy tonight and resembled quite a bit the player I recall kicking ass at the Worlds back in the summer. He was engaged, decisive, smart with the puck and lord help me for saying this cause I've been criticizing his skating since Game 1, he actually looked quick out there and skated really well.

I dunno what happened or if the light bulb maybe went off but I love me the Kakko of tonight cause he's alot of fun to watch and it give me alot of hope that he's going to be star and sooner rather than later!

Hopefully after the break after he rests up, more solid performances like tonight are on tap rest of the season....here's to hoping!!
The thought occurred to me that KK felt someone had to step up in Panarin's absence. Plus, it seemed he had more room to operate while on with Kreider and Zibs.

Deleted member 23124

Haley 3 mins, Smith 4.5, Howden and McKegg less than 9.

Both Lindgren and Staal had less than 15 too, which I was surprised to see
Lindgren's ice time was probably lessened due to those two pucks that went off him into the net.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Deal Strome, Geo and Buch at the deadline. Give KK more minutes (if he continues to play like this). Consider giving VK some time as well (depending on the return from the aforementioned assets).

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just finished the game.

We actually looked fantastic. It's too bad that we don't get another game before the break to try to build of off this effort.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Deal Strome, Geo and Buch at the deadline. Give KK more minutes (if he continues to play like this). Consider giving VK some time as well (depending on the return from the aforementioned assets).
Trade Skjei and bring up YR

Reactions: CasusBelli

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Went to the game, had a good time, was underwhelmed by our compete level. Shot totals didn’t tell the whole story. We were very hesitant to shoot on some very good looks and instead settled for some very weak and perimeter shots. Greiss did play well. Georgiev did not, though I don’t place it all on him either. We looked unengaged and sloppy most of the night despite heavily outshooting them and having a lot more possession. Islanders pulled the trigger when the shot was there and got the puck luck that those shots went in. Rangers passed on lots of looks and threw a lot of junk at the net. Strome isn’t the same player without Panarin. Chytil and Kakko looked alright.

And I bought a Fox authentic for the sweater collection.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
We werent going 3 for 3 vs NYI...if someone told me 10 days ago we'd get 2/3 I'd be ecstatic. It's the perfect time for a break. I'd like to see the Georgiev trade completed over the all star break. I'd also like for Hajek to get some games in instead of Staal, and I'd like to see them start signing the guys they plan on keeping.

I’d like to see Hank come to his senses over the break and waive his NTC

Deleted member 23124

Just finished the game.

We actually looked fantastic. It's too bad that we don't get another game before the break to try to build of off this effort.
Granted we controlled a good deal of the play, I wouldn't go so far as to say we were that good. It was a simple case of us taking what was given to us....and they were more than willing to let us operate on the perimeter -- especially after they got the lead. We weren't really getting quality shots and we weren't getting to rebounds. If Lemieux hadn't goaded Mayfield the Mad into spearing him, I don't think we score at all this game.

Deleted member 23124

Went to the game, had a good time, was underwhelmed by our compete level. Shot totals didn’t tell the whole story. We were very hesitant to shoot on some very good looks and instead settled for some very weak and perimeter shots. Greiss did play well. Georgiev did not, though I don’t place it all on him either. We looked unengaged and sloppy most of the night despite heavily outshooting them and having a lot more possession. Islanders pulled the trigger when the shot was there and got the puck luck that those shots went in. Rangers passed on lots of looks and threw a lot of junk at the net. Strome isn’t the same player without Panarin. Chytil and Kakko looked alright.

And I bought a Fox authentic for the sweater collection.
I'm having my Hayes changed to Fox.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The thought occurred to me that KK felt someone had to step up in Panarin's absence. Plus, it seemed he had more room to operate while on with Kreider and Zibs.

I dunno what it was with Kakko tonight, your theory seems as good as anything I've come up with, but whatever it was, I'm very stoked about it. I was thinking to myself after a seeing him do some stuff tonight he hasn't done all year and was saying to myself who is this impostor who has taken over Kakko's body and whoever it is me likey...lol

More importantly and this is really the point, hopefully he can use tonight as a spring board for him for the rest of this season. We all know he's going to be a stud and tonight the way he played was a reminder of that. And to be frank, I think he needed a game like this for his confidence.

Overall heading into the break, I'm pretty happy with how things have gone. We have an exciting team that is a pain in the ass to play against. We've shown we can beat the best teams in the league and our kiddies are getting some excellent experience playing in some pretty important games and most of them, not all but most, are showing there was a reason why they were so hyped in the first place.

Maybe I feel this way because I didn't expect we would make the playoffs this year and so being where we are in the standings seems about right. Just as importantly the "rebuild" at least to me it is, has gone as well as possibly could have expected.

Now we find out what we are going to do with Kreider, Fast and maybe Georgie and we go from there.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Staal...was brutal tonight, and it's no surprise he skated less than 16 minutes tonight. I really would hope they come out of the break realizing he's a seventh d at this point, as long as he's on our roster. Listen, the first ten minutes were huge. If not for Greiss, it's probably 2 or 3 nothing us and the game is different. Only thing I'm upset with was Strome's awful o-zone penalty because I thought we were rolling with momentum at that point, and then they wind up scoring on that ensuing PP.

Best Part of the Night: Meeting Henrik for the first time ever outside MSG, as he rolled up inside his million-dollar car. It was funny because as he rolled up, I was like, "who could this be?" Great guy.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I dunno what it was with Kakko tonight, your theory seems as good as anything I've come up with, but whatever it was, I'm very stoked about it. I was thinking to myself after a seeing him do some stuff tonight he hasn't done all year and was saying to myself who is this impostor who has taken over Kakko's body and whoever it is me likey...lol

More importantly and this is really the point, hopefully he can use tonight as a spring board for him for the rest of this season. We all know he's going to be a stud and tonight the way he played was a reminder of that. And to be frank, I think he needed a game like this for his confidence.

Overall heading into the break, I'm pretty happy with how things have gone. We have an exciting team that is a pain in the ass to play against. We've shown we can beat the best teams in the league and our kiddies are getting some excellent experience playing in some pretty important games and most of them, not all but most, are showing there was a reason why they were so hyped in the first place.

Maybe I feel this way because I didn't expect we would make the playoffs this year and so being where we are in the standings seems about right. Just as importantly the "rebuild" at least to me it is, has gone as well as possibly could have expected.

Now we find out what we are going to do with Kreider, Fast and maybe Georgie and we go from there.

Re: Kakko. It wasn't just about him having to step up. I think he's used to being THE guy on his teams. And tonight was his chance to be the guy and he thrived. Zib also tried to do that. That said, when Zib feels like he has to be the man, he just tries to go through 5 guys. Similar to Chytil. But when Kakko tries to be the man he actually focuses on gaining possession and trying to find teammates. And also trying to get open for his teammates. I think he has to work on his shot this offseason in addition to stamina/skating. I'd like to see his shot become a bit more dangerous so opponents are forced to play the shot more.

Strome... man, he has to make at least one bonehead play a game. This game, similar to the last one, sort of changed the whole game. That high sticking penalty changed the whole complexion. But getting back to Strome. This is why he has to produce offensively. Because when he doesn't -- his one or two bonehead plays a game become harder to justify (from a veteran).

I would love to talk to DQ and tell him to PLAY Chytil and Buch together! They have great chemistry and will likely need to shoulder the scoring IF Kreider gets dealt.

I actually think a Georgiev trade is the lynchpin to the rebuild right now. If Georgie can bring back Kapenen or similar, then trading Kreider for a 1 + a prospect not in the NHL is a lot easier to make. If Georgie only brings back a smaller return or if he can't be traded until the Draft -- then the CK trade becomes that much more risky to make. Though, as many have said, if Georgie is traded to a contender or playoff team its going to be challenging to pry a top 9 forward away during the season. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad