Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Will this be the same team in 10 days?

At least the breadman should be healed back up when we restart
Panarin carried us through Zbads early injury for 12 games, do you mean this team couldn't "suck it up" and win a game w/o him? Just ONE game?
Vally was right post game.....imagine if we didn't have him. Thing is, we do. Injuries happen, but the rest of the team has to rise to the occasion. We didn't play badly, but man......someone Needs to put that puck in the net. Yeah, go ahead and trade Kreider, Strome and Fast and see how quickly we lose 7, 8 or 10 in a row. I know we almost have to do 2 of 3.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not opposed — but I don’t think many teams would be keen to take on his contract.
I disagree. I think Skjei is one of those players where our perception as fans is drastically different than how GM's would see him. I'm not saying we are wrong though.

Totally outplayed them without our best player. Yeah, not losing my **** over that one.

And people will make fun of the fancy stats as if this one game denounces years of data from 31 teams. Sometimes you play good and lose. Have you watched hockey before?

We have done the opposite most of the season. Played terrible and won. :dunno:

I've started looking at advanced stats in hockey like I do with advanced poker theory. Sometimes you're going to make the right decision and get the wrong result and other times you will make the wrong decision and get the right result. However, over time if you consistently make the wrong decision you will not be a winning player.

I can tolerate terrible advanced stats this year because frankly I don't think Quinn has the horses to do much better. Next year is where I begin to care.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Hoping DQ tries out a top 6 of

20-93-24
10-72-17/89

Chytil deserves a look centering the second line and Strome could work well centering Lemieux/Howden and Fast as an energy line for a few games.

Reactions: skipmowerman

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Panarin carried us through Zbads early injury for 12 games, do you mean this team couldn't "suck it up" and win a game w/o him? Just ONE game?
Vally was right post game.....imagine if we didn't have him. Thing is, we do. Injuries happen, but the rest of the team has to rise to the occasion. We didn't play badly, but man......someone Needs to put that puck in the net. Yeah, go ahead and trade Kreider, Strome and Fast and see how quickly we lose 7, 8 or 10 in a row. I know we almost have to do 2 of 3.
Do I mean this team couldn't suck it up? Trying to figure out where you got that by my post......nope, still cant find how you derived that.

Of course they should be able to win a game without him....somehow they managed to last year. The boys weren't horrible last night.....the result sucked, but this was no blowout...far from it.

And its certainly a valid question to ask if the team make-up will be the same 10 days from now. Who took a dump in your cheerios this morning?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Hoping DQ tries out a top 6 of

20-93-24
10-72-17/89

Chytil deserves a look centering the second line and Strome could work well centering Lemieux/Howden and Fast as an energy line for a few games.
The Strome thing isn't happening until they trade him. If they keep him, it'll probably be on a 2-3 year deal, but I'll say this, Chytil was flying last night. You can tell that he's going to be good.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m reading Carpiniello’s game story and on all of the Islander goals, he missed facts and nuances. Just a lousy game story. Thank God for guys like Aaron Portzline and Mike Russo

Just a side observation but while I know that plenty here harp on Sam and Joe broadcast team, these two are pretty good in breakdown plays in "real" time.

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Rather than dragging everyone into another debate whether we are soft or whatever, I will put my view of this current roster this way: too finesse and not nearly enough dirty goals.

We might've outplayed them last night, out-possessed them, dictated play/pace, whatever. But were we necessarily a tough win for them? Did we make Greiss have to earn it? I don't think so. We put plenty of shots on net, but did we make it hard for him? No. Did we maybe try and graze him or give him a bump or make life in the crease hard for him? No.

This team doesn't drive the net, instead relying on slam dunks and alley-oops. Little to no deflection goals. Almost no garbage-type goals. This is what annoys me.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Do I mean this team couldn't suck it up? Trying to figure out where you got that by my post......nope, still cant find how you derived that.

Of course they should be able to win a game without him....somehow they managed to last year. The boys weren't horrible last night.....the result sucked, but this was no blowout...far from it.

And its certainly a valid question to ask if the team make-up will be the same 10 days from now. Who took a dump in your cheerios this morning?
No Mandar, apparently I quoted wrong post. So sorry. As for my cheerios, yeah, I guess I am a little peeved. 3 days w/o a game stinks. Wanted a win here so they could be a little happier during break (as well as me) losing to Jackets the way they did, made me want for this win especially hard. Now it's gonna be 9 or 10 days off and this season is flying by as it is. Dread off seasons even more.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
No Mandar, apparently I quoted wrong post. So sorry. As for my cheerios, yeah, I guess I am a little peeved. 3 days w/o a game stinks. Wanted a win here so they could be a little happier during break (as well as me) losing to Jackets the way they did, made me want for this win especially hard. Now it's gonna be 9 or 10 days off and this season is flying by as it is. Dread off seasons even more.
understood. Hope you have a better dinner, lol.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Rather than dragging everyone into another debate whether we are soft or whatever, I will put my view of this current roster this way: too finesse and not nearly enough dirty goals.

We might've outplayed them last night, out-possessed them, dictated play/pace, whatever. But were we necessarily a tough win for them? Did we make Greiss have to earn it? I don't think so. We put plenty of shots on net, but did we make it hard for him? No. Did we maybe try and graze him or give him a bump or make life in the crease hard for him? No.

This team doesn't drive the net, instead relying on slam dunks and alley-oops. Little to no deflection goals. Almost no garbage-type goals. This is what annoys me.
I get where you're coming from and agree for the most part, but the goal that was negated was a net front scramble where strome was lucky enough to be in the right spot.

It wasn't a pretty one

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

trading Kreider will only make it worse.

by the way Buchnevich has NEVER thrived on a top line. Never. He’s been at his best on a third line. That’s who he is. Anymore than that and he wilts.

I’m not sure why he’s not playing with Chytil when they’ve shown obvious chemistry.

when we get back I want to see (and this is because I know we have to live with Strome glued to Panarin only so I’m being realistic)

Kreider Mika Kakko
Panarin Strome Fast
Lemieux Chytil Buchnevich
Smith Howden McKegg

Reactions: mrhockey193195

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I love the Athletic, well worth the cost if your a fan of multiple sports, but the Carp hire was so blah, hopefully when he retires in a few years Vince is still on the beat, and he can take over.

With how well Vince has covered the team, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a better opportunity to cover baseball or football.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Very true. They do some things great. But they really need to diversify the attack. I do think it’s just a matter of time. I know these guys aren’t babies, but there are still young as a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->