Rumor: Rangers Trying to Sign CSKA Forward Sergei Shumakov Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Since the last thread was locked due to stupid comments, here's a part 2. As per Aivis Kalnins, this morning Shumakov and CSKA have parted ways. Not sure if he'll sign somewhere else or if the rumors of him coming to NYR are true, but what seemed like a long-shot is looking more promising now!!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would like him but I have no clue where he will play if he signs

Options are nice I guess, but they have too many forwards

He isn't signing to play in Hartford

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
a '92 like Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Claesson, turns 26 next month
Sergei Shumakov at eliteprospects.com

>16 goals over each of last 4 KHL season
within a goal, or point, of team lead, in at least one of those, each season

interesting if true, EP had him listed as signed for 2 more seasons

probably pushes Lindqvist and Lettieri ( ... Beleskey) further down depth chart if he comes
hopefully he signs for 3 years at most, 2 would be better
(seems too seasoned for a ELC, but you guys know more than I

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There's no reason not to sign him. Worst case, he's no better than our other middle six options and somebody becomes an expendable asset.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
FYI this was posted at the Shumakov thread at Trade Rumors/Signings page:

"If skill was the only factor in hockey, Sergei Shumakov would be a name known from Oregon to Osaka and back again. There are questions surrounding the young Russian winger, but none of them involve his talent. His hands are to die for, and watching him play hockey can, at times, be mesmerizing. He regularly makes the impossible seem possible both with his passing and his bag — well, it is actually more like a flight-case — full of tricks. Oh, and did I mention his shot? Wrist, snap and slap, all three he gets away quickly, powerfully and accurately. Playing the left side on the power-play, his positioning and wind-up are reminiscent of another Russian winger who has wowed the world with his skills over the last decade.

So what are the cons with the electric winger from Chelyabinsk? Well, his skating is solid but not overly impressive. It would be unfair to call him anything less than solid, as it does not hinder him, but his stride can be choppy and he will likely never be a speedster. He is also not a strong defensive player. Still, he’s an exciting player who has started the KHL season with a bang, posting 15 points in 12 games. Add this onto his impressive end to last season and his resume is becoming increasingly hard to ignore. With a contract that expires at the end of this season expect a host of NHL teams to show interest in the highly-skilled Russian. It would really not be too absurd to see his skating on an NHL second line in the not-so-distant future."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
FYI this was posted at the Shumakov thread at Trade Rumors/Signings page:
I should add that post was from 2 years ago. Skating could be better now, although I'd think if he is skating was fixed he'd be a lot more of a higher profile type guy

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
From main boards. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

tenor.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
KZB
Hayes-FC-Zucc
Namestnikov-Andersson-Shumakov
Vesey-Spooner-Fast.

Might not even need to make a trade.

So we are putting our best defensive center on the wing to accommodate two rookies?

I feel like the coach should be taking control of these positional decisions and not the players or the GM.

Spooner said the other day that he's a center. But I don't really care what he thinks, nor should Quinn. The guy is not a center at the NHL level. He's already bad defensively as a winger, why should we have him playing center on what supposedly would be our "4th line"?

And there's absolutely no way that Andersson or Chytil get a spot at center instead of Hayes, in my opinion. Maybe you put one of the two at center, but both? I don't think its a good idea.

I still think this team needs to make a trade. There's just not a place for the two rookies, Spooner and Namestnikov in the same lineup.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So we are putting our best defensive center on the wing to accommodate two rookies?

I feel like the coach should be taking control of these positional decisions and not the players or the GM.

Spooner said the other day that he's a center. But I don't really care what he thinks, nor should Quinn. The guy is not a center at the NHL level. He's already bad defensively as a winger, why should we have him playing center on what supposedly would be our "4th line"?

And there's absolutely no way that Andersson or Chytil get a spot at center instead of Hayes, in my opinion. Maybe you put one of the two at center, but both? I don't think its a good idea.

I still think this team needs to make a trade. There's just not a place for the two rookies, Spooner and Namestnikov in the same lineup.

To me with the roster we have right now--the 2C spot should be Hayes to lose. This idea that Chytil's ready for that is IMO more than a little premature. I think Filip had a great year last year--but still 31 points in 46 AHL games--terrific for an 18 year old but.......how that puts him automatically in our top 6 I don't know. I see him more as the 3C and maybe even spending part of the year in Hartford and the same with Andersson.

And I totally agree with you on Spooner.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would like him but I have no clue where he will play if he signs

Options are nice I guess, but they have too many forwards

He isn't signing to play in Hartford

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Namestnikov-Shamukov
McLeod-Nieves-Fast

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are only 9 bonafide NHL forwards in the organization and people are worried about where (presumably) one more will fit?

Hopefully this happens.
The problem for me is, other than I guess Fast, anyone that gets pushed down into fourth-line territory loses value.

Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Zuccarello, Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Fast, Vesey

Those guys, other than Fast (to a degree), their value is highly predicated on offensive production. If Namestnikov and Spooner produce like 2nd/3rd liners, at their hits, they have value. If they're producing like fourth liners because they're getting limited minutes, I think their value takes a knock. If you had, just as a theoretical, Shumakov and Chytil make the team, and then someone like Meskanen make it later after someone gets injured, you end up with a bunch of guys on the fourth line that (unless Quinn plays his fourth line heavily) are losing value. And that's just potentially concerning to me because I felt that one of the primary reasons we re-signed the RFAs that we did was so that we could flip them at the TDL this year or next if we felt in a position to do so.

I'm totally fine signing Shumakov or anyone else that could be a real asset. However, we have basically one guy that could flourish in a traditional fourth line role so I worry about the impact on the roster if the prospects start making it. It would be a good problem to have but still one that would need to be addressed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
well we shouldn't have brought back namestnikov AND spooner. there was no need especially if its true that gorton wants to keep hayes. should have dealt one of them.

McLeod I'm praying is there just to be a lockerroom guy and hold down the 13th spot.

kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Namestnikov Chytil Zucc
Spooner Hayes Fast/Shamukov
Vesey Andersson Shamukov/Fast
Mcleod

it fits but its not ideal imo least gives andersson some talent to play with but I really was hoping we'd see him in the top 9 on the wing. pretty deep group of forwards though. also was hoping to give howden and meskanen more of a shot to make it. even nieves . and not for nothing Fast probably does deserve more ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad