Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade D Tarmo Reunanen to CAR for C Maxim Letunov

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They continue to acquire players with upside to continue to help their cap situation when they let players like DeAngelo go. And we got a stagnated career ahler like Tim Gettinger for him. I get that he is buried but can we honestly say that we couldnt have done better than this return?
We let deangelo go because he's an a**hole. Also, that was done by the past organization. People need to let things go that were done by people no longer here. I stopped lamenting the Rick Middleton deal 4-5 years ago.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
We let deangelo go because he's an a**hole. Also, that was done by the past organization. People need to let things go that were done by people no longer here. I stopped lamenting the Rick Middleton deal 4-5 years ago.
So we’ll finally be done with people crying about Deangelo in 2064? I can’t wait that long.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

I wasnt talking about us at all in the trade. I think Reunenen is talented and has never gotten a chance with this club. But i do understand now that people have brought up that our AHL club needs centers badly.

I brought up DeAngelo bc Canes wont be able to afford him. but they are getting players who could maybe possibly be able to take an nhl shift for them at minimal cost with a trade like this.

Anyway, its a nothing trade really and nothing to be upset about.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Used to be a pretty good prospect. As was Merkley I suppose. Oh well. Reunanen was never gonna make it here. Maybe they like what they see in Scanlin.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So just to further cement the idea that the Canes are doing this for their AHL affiliate--they also picked up Richard Panik on loan from the Islanders (to play in the AHL for the Wolves) and Chris Bigras in an AHL trade. So they're clearly just loading up for a playoff run; while they may have some interest in trying to retain Reunanen next year, my guess is that they had no intention of trying to retain Letunov, so they made a move to further beef up their AHL D to make a run at the Calder Cup--they're second overall in the AHL before these moves.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With the emergence of Jones and Robertson, plus the signing of Scanlin, trading Reunanen isn't surprising at all. Carolina adding a Finnish player shouldn't shock anyone. And Rangers acquire a center to replace Barron in Hartford. It's a trade that makes sense.

On top of that, he has played with Greco, Brodzinski and Húska. He spent time with UConn so he knows the locker room in a literal sense.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Don't know anything about Letunov but initial reaction is that it's an underwhelming return and that we didn't exactly win the deal last time Carolina traded a forward for one of our defensive prospects. Someone give me the good news.

If Nils is on the block this summer I don't know why Reunanon would be moved.
If you are referring to the Joey Keane for Gauthier deal we actually got the better of the deal it seems. Keane has played 2 nhl games for Carolina while Gauthier was playing 3rd line minutes for us this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The only thing that stood out to me about Reunanen was his bomb of a shot from the blue line. He wasn’t able to use it often though.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
he was desirable when younger

"..acquired forward Maxim Letunov from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for defenseman Zbynek Michalek and a conditional third round draft choice .."

"..acquired prospect center Maxim Letunov and a 2017 sixth round draft selection from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for San Jose’s 2016 fourth round and 2017 third round.."
So was I

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Don't know anything about Letunov but initial reaction is that it's an underwhelming return and that we didn't exactly win the deal last time Carolina traded a forward for one of our defensive prospects. Someone give me the good news.

If Nils is on the block this summer I don't know why Reunanon would be moved.
Julien Gauthier has 88 games with the Rangers. Joey Keane has 2. We've hands down won that trade for the time being. It's just that we were penny betting so don't let's blow that trade out of proportion. This was no McD trade. (lol, ok i'm to one blowing things out of proportion now 🤣)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
So we traded a young decently promising defenseman for a nobody forward who will stay in the AHL. I just dont really understand this deal. Reunenen could have been added to say a package for something important. Instead we deal him for scraps.

Not happy with this deal
Tarmo is promising but Tarmo is also considered scraps. Like you'd be lucky to get a 6th for him. No GMs are going to be like "oooh! can we build a package around Tarmo?" he'd be a throw in that doesn't move the needle on any trade of significance.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The big thing with Reunanen, I think, is that he's an RFA at season's end and clearly has no NHL future in this organization. Given what's ahead of him, it's almost inconceivable to think he'd sign a QO from the Rangers. He could instead go back to Finland or one of the other top European leagues and walk right into a bigger role and a bigger payday. Given this, the Rangers really had little choice but to move him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i'm thinking this is nothing more than a move for hartford just like the merkley deal. Hartford has alot of dmen so between the 2 deals we moved 2 dmen who won't be with the organization next year for 2 forwards that won't be with the organization next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The big thing with Reunanen, I think, is that he's an RFA at season's end and clearly has no NHL future in this organization. Given what's ahead of him, it's almost inconceivable to think he'd sign a QO from the Rangers. He could instead go back to Finland or one of the other top European leagues and walk right into a bigger role and a bigger payday. Given this, the Rangers really had little choice but to move him.

Reunanen is a quitter anyway. He exercised his European Assignment Clause back in 2019 instead of sucking it up and working for it in Hartford :sarcasm:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They continue to acquire players with upside to continue to help their cap situation when they let players like DeAngelo go. And we got a stagnated career ahler like Tim Gettinger for him. I get that he is buried but can we honestly say that we couldnt have done better than this return?
Honestly, what are you talking about? We didn't trade DeAngelo, we bought him out. Gettinger was drafted by this team, not acquired in a trade. They screwed up the ADA situation for sure but they didn't dump him for an AHL player.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, what are you talking about? We didn't trade DeAngelo, we bought him out. Gettinger was drafted by this team, not acquired in a trade. They screwed up the ADA situation for sure but they didn't dump him for an AHL player.

Hear hear!

Adam Fox for 2nd+2nd
1st for Brady Skjei
Julien Gauthier for Joey Keane
Maxim Letunov for Tarmo Reunanen

These are the trades with CAR recently. Then there's former Rangers in Carolina who got there without a trade.

Fast: UFA signing
DeAngelo: UFA signing
Raanta: UFA signing
Stepan: UFA signing
Smith: UFA signing

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So we traded a young decently promising defenseman for a nobody forward who will stay in the AHL. I just dont really understand this deal. Reunenen could have been added to say a package for something important. Instead we deal him for scraps.

Not happy with this deal
not happy either. I get major anxiety about the potential "have a good career, and come back to burn the Rangers" at some point. TO Carolina? I mean why? They should be the LAST TEAM we hand away another very young player. Watch.....he will add to his arsenal and become a good player.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hear hear!

Adam Fox for 2nd+2nd
1st for Brady Skjei
Julien Gauthier for Joey Keane
Maxim Letunov for Tarmo Reunanen

These are the trades with CAR recently. Then there's former Rangers in Carolina who got there without a trade.

Fast: UFA signing
DeAngelo: UFA signing
Raanta: UFA signing
Stepan: UFA signing
Smith: UFA signing
Not like they raped us in a trade like TB did. These were our "unwanted" players, leftovers so to speak. Shame, I lived Tony AND Jesper.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I'm thinking Tarmo requested or a trade or at least hinted that he'd like a change of scenery. He's already 24 and his window to establish himself is quickly passing him by

With that said, I wish the Rangers gave him more of a chance at a bottom pairing role. While Schneider has not looked out of place there was no harm in keeping him in the AHL for the rest of the season.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Some of the reactions here are funny...this dude (TR) wouldn't have been claimed if he was put on waivers. doubt he plays another game in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad