Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade D Tarmo Reunanen to CAR for C Maxim Letunov

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Don't know anything about Letunov but initial reaction is that it's an underwhelming return and that we didn't exactly win the deal last time Carolina traded a forward for one of our defensive prospects. Someone give me the good news.

If Nils is on the block this summer I don't know why Reunanon would be moved.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Don't know anything about Letunov but initial reaction is that it's an underwhelming return and that we didn't exactly win the deal last time Carolina traded a forward for one of our defensive prospects. Someone give me the good news.

We didn’t exactly lose it either.

You can always sign AHL vets for D spots too. They don’t need to be filled by only prospects, they aren’t being filled by only
Prospects right now.

Nils will likely be moved because we have better options and needs elsewhere.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Reunanen is a fine prospect, but he's not good enough to be in the Top 6 and won't be for the foreseeable future, so it's w/e to trade him for a w/e prospect. Hartford needs the forward depth.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reunanen was a pretty good AHL player. Like a lot of guys in Hartford, last season in the bogus AHL he looked a lot better than he actually is. He seems like maybe a 3rd-pair, PP2 guy on a mediocre team. Honestly I would expect him to try to go back to Liiga or the SHL as soon as he can.

Letunov I remember from when he played at UConn with Huska. He looked like a star in the making and then stagnated. He looks like he doesn't really want to be here playing in the AHL anymore. He was always a crafty player with good speed, but it doesn't look like it's happening for him. I have admittedly seen very little of him in the AHL.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he was desirable when younger

"..acquired forward Maxim Letunov from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for defenseman Zbynek Michalek and a conditional third round draft choice .."

"..acquired prospect center Maxim Letunov and a 2017 sixth round draft selection from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for San Jose’s 2016 fourth round and 2017 third round.."

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

Keane hasn't been able to stick, either. to date, Gauthier has had the better NHL career.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Letunov has been the LW on Ryan Suzuki’s line (1st line for the Chicago Wolves). He’s a vet add to help Hartford down the stretch since Brodzinski has found a nice home here. Tarmo was gonna be out of the organization anyways since he’s behind multiple LHD, and they just signed Scanlin as his replacement. He wasn’t getting the top offensive minutes either with Jones and Nils here.

Carolina continues to acquire a bunch of Finns.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
So we traded a young decently promising defenseman for a nobody forward who will stay in the AHL. I just dont really understand this deal. Reunenen could have been added to say a package for something important. Instead we deal him for scraps.

Not happy with this deal

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Letunov has been the LW on Ryan Suzuki’s line (1st line for the Chicago Wolves). He’s a vet add to help Hartford down the stretch since Brodzinski has found a nice home here. Tarmo was gonna be out of the organization anyways since he’s behind multiple LHD, and they just signed Scanlin as his replacement. He wasn’t getting the top offensive minutes either with Jones and Nils here.

Carolina continues to acquire a bunch of Finns.

They continue to acquire players with upside to continue to help their cap situation when they let players like DeAngelo go. And we got a stagnated career ahler like Tim Gettinger for him. I get that he is buried but can we honestly say that we couldnt have done better than this return?

Reactions: gabevh3

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
So we traded a young decently promising defenseman for a nobody forward who will stay in the AHL. I just dont really understand this deal. Reunenen could have been added to say a package for something important. Instead we deal him for scraps.

Not happy with this deal
Do you think Tarmo Reunanen is good enough to move the needle for literally anyone in literally any trade? Because I don’t.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They continue to acquire players with upside to continue to help their cap situation when they let players like DeAngelo go. And we got a stagnated career ahler like Tim Gettinger for him. I get that he is buried but can we honestly say that we couldnt have done better than this return?
You’re severely overrating Tarmo. They have similar dmen to him in Jones/Lundkvist who are much, much better hockey players and have viable chances of being full-time NHL players. They also have two younger defenseman in Robertson/Skinner who are producing similarly to Tarmo in their first full pro seasons, and again, have higher upside than Tarmo.

Letunov is barely 2 years older than Tarmo, and it’s not like Tarmo is only 20. This is already his D+6 season and he’s been passed over multiple times in our depth chart. Getting upset about this is kind of ridiculous. Any return for Tarmo would have yielded similar results, and if you want to feel better about it, they made a great trade in Bitetto for Merkley to add a similarly aged forward to Tarmo with actual upside.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Do you think Tarmo Reunanen is good enough to move the needle for literally anyone in literally any trade? Because I don’t.

Not really at this point.

I think most teams know he's a Bobby Sanguinetti- talented enough to make up for being tissue soft at the AHL/KHL level but not at the highest level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Not happy with this deal
Eh, Reunanen is 24, he's been passed on our depth chart several times, and there's a very good chance he returns to Finland or goes to Sweden when the season is over. He'd be a throw-in if he were in a larger deal. We did deal him for scraps, but that's because at this point he's basically scraps himself.

There's always a chance this becomes a Graves-Bigras deal, but far more likely than not is that in ten years both of these guys pop up in a "Let's Remember Some Guys" thread.

If you're another team's GM, what are you giving up for Tarmo Reunanen?

This reminds me somewhat of when we picked up Nick Ebert, or Julius Bergman. Guys to help Hartford who would likely be gone at year's end.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Reunanen but he is clearly behind Jones. Perfectly possible that he wanted out, probably behind Robertsson too.

Seems like the Carl Klingberg trade. Julius Bergman? We get someone for a few months. It’s a AHL trade.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
I didn't think trades were allowed after the deadline....
Losing J-Brodz and Barron has killed the Pack's center depth, which is killing the team's play, so this works as a move.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I didn't think trades were allowed after the deadline....
Losing J-Brodz and Barron has killed the Pack's center depth, which is killing the team's play, so this works as a move.
Trades are allowed, they just can't play an NHL game in the regular season or playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad