Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Rangers are going to let there overpaid Dman available for expansion. Rangers either way trade with the Blues knowing know that Shattenkirk isn't a rental which increases the value or Boston Arizona Devils Islanders
Have a chance to trade and extend him before he hits the market. Last time I checked Larsson got Hall?? Expecting the Blues to get Kreider or Miller plus for Shattenkirk who is more proven I don't see the why the uproar.

Shattenkirk will be traded and will be signed when traded or I believe he would have already been a Oilers this offseason.

If the Rangers chose to protect 4 d-men, which forwards might be left unprotected then? Just trying to see if that's a viable option or not.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Therein lies the problem as those are really the only NYR players I'd really be interested in. Which is why I just don't see these two teams as great trading partners.

Miller+/Kreider+ could work as deals. We'd just want confidence in Miller's big jump in shooting % being a legitimate progression and not a Chris Stewart type jump.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If the Rangers chose to protect 4 d-men, which forwards might be left unprotected then? Just trying to see if that's a viable option or not.

Stepan, Zibanejad, Zuccarrello, and Miller/Kreider? Pretty much guarantees that Nash, one of Miller/Kreider, Lindberg, or Hayes gets selected. Probably Miller or Kreider. Zibanejad is a RFA, so I assume he'd still need protection, and not sure on the rules of UFA if they try and sign him after the expansion draft.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Miller+/Kreider+ could work as deals. We'd just want confidence in Miller's big jump in shooting % being a legitimate progression and not a Chris Stewart type jump.

They could but unless the + is a 1st, neither Miller or Kreider really excite me much.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The Rangers are not a Shattenkirk away from being very good,

If they trade for him it better still be "part" of something else. Not, hey we added in a little youth and a 2nd, lets move a little youth and a 1st for Shattenkirk

^^^^^This is why this is all a pipe dream.^^^^^

The Rangers might not make the playoffs this season. Shatty is a UFA after the season and has made it clear he wants to play in NY. Why trade anything for him right now? Unless that anything is a serious cap move that accommodates Shatty coming in return.

We certainly are not trading young assets like Kreider, Hayes, Miller or Zeb. You likely get offered Nash and he has history with your coach. You might not like it but it is the reality of this. Your GM over valued his hand and didn't move Shatty when teams were making offers. Of course it doesn't help when a player states he wants to go to a certain destination.

Gorton is not Sather, he is not going to make a move to further jeopardize the youth and future of the NYR, as evidenced by the Zeb deal. The fact that Ott. will likely be a bottom 10 team next season makes that 2nd rd pick an early one and a fantastic pick up with a young player on a cheap contract.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Stepan, Zibanejad, Zuccarrello, and Miller/Kreider? Pretty much guarantees that Nash, one of Miller/Kreider, Lindberg, or Hayes gets selected. Probably Miller or Kreider. Zibanejad is a RFA, so I assume he'd still need protection, and not sure on the rules of UFA if they try and sign him after the expansion draft.

Zucc will be odd man out due to age if the following don't occur. Girardi will likely be bought out after the season and who knows, someone might take Staal at the deadline. I think Nash will be traded before the season starts. The young guys are not going to be exposed. I think Rangers management is looking at Miller like the Blues management look at Tarasenko, he will be untouchable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Zucc will be odd man out due to age.

He'll be 29 at the expansion draft. 30 for that upcoming season. I guess I could see him being available if they protect 4 D, but they'd probably trade him to another team before they'd leave him unprotected.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
He'll be 29 at the expansion draft. 30 for that upcoming season. I guess I could see him being available if they protect 4 D, but they'd probably trade him to another team before they'd leave him unprotected.

I would think management moves Zucc before any of the other guys you mentioned solely based on age. Miller and Kreider and Zeb, are the youth core of the team atm. I think Hayes can turn into a very good #3 and fill in for #2. He got a bad rap by a d-bag statement the coach made when he said he was playing lazy......that really is not the case. His numbers were not too far off from his rookie year.

You might see the Rangers expose Stepan if they fail to move cap. I think that is a long shot but if Zeb comes in and really impresses, he might be the #1 C after this coming season and that might make them leave Step unprotected before his NMC kicks in after next season.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
There's no smoke...

It's been reported that Shattenkirk was willing to extend with teams in the West. The idea that he wants to be near his hometown is false.

Are those the same type of reports that say he wants to play back home? Which reports should we pay mind to and which should we dismiss?

The fact is he hasn't been moved and your GM must understand that time is running out before he leaves for nothing. I think teams made offers and they couldn't have been too terrible for him not to have made a move yet. Is there an NMC involved here?

I really think he will be a Ranger next season. Gorton will wait it out or look to move Nash and maybe Fast or Lindbergh. I don't expect Kreider to be moved. But it could happen. I know they covet a RHD and Shattenkirk would be a huge upgrade.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Zucc will be odd man out due to age if the following don't occur. Girardi will likely be bought out after the season and who knows, someone might take Staal at the deadline. I think Nash will be traded before the season starts. The young guys are not going to be exposed. I think Rangers management is looking at Miller like the Blues management look at Tarasenko, he will be untouchable.

This is pretty close to my guess.

Not that they move Nash before the season starts(unless some one offer more than coal), more so if he proves to be healthy and gains some value as this or next season goes on, if not he becomes one of the exposed.

All the same, I hope the Rangers do not pony up what the Blue will want for Shattenkirk, the two teams are valuing the same things. Actually I think Shattenkirk should be more valuable to the Blues (and several other teams) than he should be to the Rangers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Are those the same type of reports that say he wants to play back home? Which reports should we pay mind to and which should we dismiss?

Reports of him signing with other teams in the West are from reputable sources that have contact with him and his agent.

Sources that indicate him signing with only teams near his home, either don't exist or are random speculation by bloggers. It's why every time it gets brought up in threads, and we call you guys out on it, nothing get cited. It's a false narrative.

Are the Rangers close to the top of his list? I'm sure, and they may even be #1, but we know there are plenty of other teams, and teams that are outside of the NY area.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'm not interested debating sources who I understand are simply the weather predictors of the sporting world......doesn't mean a "credible" source is even right and only one guy can be. I don't put much value into the narratives of guys who are wrong 90%+ of the time.

Either way, I guess we'll see. If I was a betting man, I'd believe Gorton put the wheels in motion for a bigger move with the Brassard trade. I think that move is either a trade for Shatty or simply freeing up cap money to retain on Nash or Staal.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
^^^^^This is why this is all a pipe dream.^^^^^

The Rangers might not make the playoffs this season. **** is a UFA after the season and has made it clear he wants to play in NY. Why trade anything for him right now? Unless that anything is a serious cap move that accommodates **** coming in return.

We certainly are not trading young assets like Kreider, Hayes, Miller or Zeb. You likely get offered Nash and he has history with your coach. You might not like it but it is the reality of this. Your GM over valued his hand and didn't move **** when teams were making offers. Of course it doesn't help when a player states he wants to go to a certain destination.

Gorton is not Sather, he is not going to make a move to further jeopardize the youth and future of the NYR, as evidenced by the Zeb deal. The fact that Ott. will likely be a bottom 10 team next season makes that 2nd rd pick an early one and a fantastic pick up with a young player on a cheap contract.

He has?? What's your source on this? The closest I've seen to this is someone from EDM speculating that he'd probably want to sign somewhere in the East. Going from that speculation to him absolutely wanting to play for the NYR and NYR only is quite the stretch I'd say. It seems to me that some folks here are basing their thoughts off of false assumptions. There's absolutely no guarantee Shatty signs with the Rangers if he ever becomes a UFA.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
There's no smoke...

It's been reported that Shattenkirk was willing to extend with teams in the West. The idea that he wants to be near his hometown is false.

Sorry, in offseason he has expressly made it clear he would love to return home.

What you are reading is agent-talk,trying to keep his value high.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sorry, in offseason he has expressly made it clear he would love to return home.

What you are reading is agent-talk,trying to keep his value high.

No he hasn't. If he did, it would be obvious and all of you could prove it. The only thing that Shattenkirk has expressed is that he'd prefer to stay in St. Louis. It was reported that if he went elsewhere, New York would get a discount in comparison to other teams. That means what I've said, that they are at the top of his list, but the list has many other teams that he would want to sign with.

If he was deadest on the Rangers, he wouldn't be willing to sign elsewhere. The hometown argument gets blown out of proportion. In all sports, many players indicate similar things about playing in their hometown, but rarely does it actually happen.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You won't be getting Miller + 1st or Kreider + 1st. '

Kreider + would mean something like Kreider + Fast.

There is no good reason for the Rangers to offer something beyond that. You may believe there are/will be better offers. So be it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You won't be getting Miller + 1st or Kreider + 1st. '

Kreider + would mean something like Kreider + Fast.

There is no good reason for the Rangers to offer something beyond that. You may believe there are/will be better offers. So be it.

Then the Rangers won't land him in a trade and we can all move on.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
St Louis will get horrible value for Shattenkirk. He pretty much has a gun to Armstrong's head. If he said that NYR is his preferred team to sign with, no team is giving up assets to have one year of Shattenkirk, and since NYR is the only potential suitor for him, they can underpay STL.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
St Louis will get horrible value for Shattenkirk. He pretty much has a gun to Armstrong's head. If he said that NYR is his preferred team to sign with, no team is giving up assets to have one year of Shattenkirk, and since NYR is the only potential suitor for him, they can underpay STL.

He hasn't said that, teams always give up good assets for top rentals, and we'd be fine keeping him for another attempted Cup run.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It may be smarter for the Rangers, or any other team, to take Shattenkirk without an extension. If you extend him, then you have to protect him in the expansion draft, which could be problematic depending on who gets sent the other way.

Given that, the smartest thing might be to just wait and take your chances that you'll be able to sign him as a free agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad