Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

GrayZack

Jul 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
St Louis will get horrible value for Shattenkirk. He pretty much has a gun to Armstrong's head. If he said that NYR is his preferred team to sign with, no team is giving up assets to have one year of Shattenkirk, and since NYR is the only potential suitor for him, they can underpay STL.

IF shattenkrik wants to play hard ball, Army could have Hitch sit his ass in the press boxs all year and kill Shatty chances of a big contract. Roll with Petro/Parayko/Bortuzzo.

Shattenkrik should realise that going into a UFA season he needs big numbers for a big payday. He is not going to get that on the 3rd paring in STL, and he didnt have his best playoffs last year, due to time on the left side.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IF shattenkrik wants to play hard ball, Army could have Hitch sit his ass in the press boxs all year and kill Shatty chances of a big contract. Roll with Petro/Parayko/Bortuzzo.

Shattenkrik should realise that going into a UFA season he needs big numbers for a big payday. He is not going to get that on the 3rd paring in STL, and he didnt have his best playoffs last year, due to time on the left side.

Yeah, that's how they do it in the NHL... LOL.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Regardless of my thoughts on Eklund as a source, to me this just seems like he is putting obvious pieces together.

We lost Yandle. We have an abundance of bottom 6 C's in our system and Hayes doesn't need to be stuck on the third line.

Hayes + for Shattenkirk would be my guess.

Ah. Misunderstood.

That better be one hell of a plus.

Stop talking about an extended Shattenkirk. If you resign him you'll for sure keep him.
For a trade he has rental value, the extension would be our thing and it's irrelevant for the trade value.

Well I just can't believe someone believes this to be true.

That literally was not said.

Exactly. The only destination he's stated he wants to be is St. Louis.

And to those thinking the Blues have no leverage in a trade, that's bogus. They don't NEED to trade Shattenkirk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO

And to those thinking the Blues have no leverage in a trade, that's bogus. They don't NEED to trade Shattenkirk.

Further there isn't a shortage of teams looking for RHD scoring Dman. Someone is going to pony up. Funny how folks assume the Blues will just hand him over. Won't happen and Ranger fans should realize Shatty is a great player!!!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

It wasn't. Not sure why so many STL fans are getting so defensive. It isn't as if we are saying he isn't worth a sizeable amount (which happens often on these boards). We are saying ft he Rangers don't have the depth to trade too much for him. If we paid what is being asked for I would consider it a colossal mistake.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It wasn't. Not sure why so many STL fans are getting so defensive. It isn't as if we are saying he isn't worth a sizeable amount (which happens often on these boards). We are saying ft he Rangers don't have the depth to trade too much for him. If we paid what is being asked for I would consider it a colossal mistake.

Because the vast majority of Rangers fans are offering terrible value, especially in comparison to other fan bases on here, and instead of following it up with what you are saying, that the pieces required don't make sense, most fans are saying that you won't receive anything better from other teams. Rangers fans act like the Blues have to settle for the terrible value that you fans are offering. That's why these threads end in disaster.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Kill his chances, unless other GM's see that the Blues are choosing to sit him in the press box because of contract issues.

Shattenkirk is going to be 28 next summer, he's right handed, and has put up 40+ points a year for basically 6 consecutive seasons, with only the lockout year getting in the way. The Blues could tell him to stay home on every game day this year, and outside of a really bad injury, I don't think he'd have a hard time getting a large free agent contract next summer.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Shatty deserves a big return. This is why the Rangers should stay away and sign Wisniewski instead. Wis is no where near Shatty, though the cost will be too high.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Because the vast majority of Rangers fans are offering terrible value, especially in comparison to other fan bases on here, and instead of following it up with what you are saying, that the pieces required don't make sense, most fans are saying that you won't receive anything better from other teams. Rangers fans act like the Blues have to settle for the terrible value that you fans are offering. That's why these threads end in disaster.

Actually many posters, including both myself and the person you are quoting, stated that the Blues may very well receive better offers elsewhere, especially if Shattenkirk agrees to an extension with a different team before the trade. However, we stated that it makes little difference to the Rangers if the Blues allow extension negotiation before the trade because of our sure-footing. Also, we are not in a position to give up that premium cost. If there are rumors linked to the Rangers or a trade is to be made it is of the opinion of many Rangers posters that we would not be looking for trade anything more than Kreider/Hayes + a prospect not named Buchnevich.

If you want to twist it and get pissy then that is your prerogative.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Show me these other fanbase offers for a rental Shattenkirk. Tell me why Kreider is terrible value.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Show me these other fanbase offers for a rental Shattenkirk. Tell me why Kreider is terrible value.

Many Detroit and Boston fans have been on board with a Tatar/Nyquist/Spooner, which is equivalent to a Kreider or Miller, and then add a quality future piece. Whether it is a 1st or a good prospect. Boston and Detroit meet the need for Shattenkirk more and have better pieces. I honestly think he goes to one of those places and extends.

The general cost of a rental is going to be around what Lucic went for. 1st+NHL ready solid prospect+piece equivalent to 1st/2nd.

There's lots of threads, you can find them if you want to.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Many Detroit and Boston fans have been on board with a Tatar/Nyquist/Spooner, which is equivalent to a Kreider or Miller, and then add a quality future piece. Whether it is a 1st or a good prospect. Boston and Detroit meet the need for Shattenkirk more and have better pieces. I honestly think he goes to one of those places and extends.

The general cost of a rental is going to be around what Lucic went for. 1st+NHL ready solid prospect+piece equivalent to 1st/2nd.

There's lots of threads, you can find them if you want to.

True. As much as I hate 'em, I think Shattenkirk end up with the Bruins. Detroit seems very shrewd as it pertains to big moves, where as Boston has made some gutsy moves lately. Also, if re-signed, they'd be getting a steal. New York is only an option because Shattenkirk wants to go there. Neither their fans nor our fans really want a trade between the two that badly.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland

Even if the playoffs weren't his strongest performance sitting him would be foolish beyond all belief. The Blues are contenders and they should play the best players they have available.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kill his chances, unless other GM's see that the Blues are choosing to sit him in the press box because of contract issues.

Shattenkirk is going to be 28 next summer, he's right handed, and has put up 40+ points a year for basically 6 consecutive seasons, with only the lockout year getting in the way. The Blues could tell him to stay home on every game day this year, and outside of a really bad injury, I don't think he'd have a hard time getting a large free agent contract next summer.

Even if the playoffs weren't his strongest performance sitting him would be foolish beyond all belief. The Blues are contenders and they should play the best players they have available.

Obviously we wouldn't sit him. We'd use him as our "rental" for a playoff run. It happens every single year with teams that have a top player on an expiring contract. People act like that is valueless, but it happens every single season and teams pay for those players or keep them instead of settling on a bad return.

I know you 2 didn't start the idea, just no point in keep discussing something that has a 0% chance of happening.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT

Well I just can't believe someone believes this to be true.

That's right, they don't need to trade him right now.

But then you take the chance of losing him for nothing.

Grow some skin. You have to accept that fans of other teams will just constantly through crappy trade proposals at you until he is either locked up or leaves.

At the same time, if a reasonable trade proposal does come along, please give it the justice it deserves. To just say no. no , no is silly and not how most GMs conduct their business.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's right, they don't need to trade him right now.

But then you take the chance of losing him for nothing.

Grow some skin. You have to accept that fans of other teams will just constantly through crappy trade proposals at you until he is either locked up or leaves.

At the same time, if a reasonable trade proposal does come along, please give it the justice it deserves. To just say no. no , no is silly and not how most GMs conduct their business.
Our GM has demonstrated that he will do this if he feels 1yr of Shattenkirk is worth more then what a team is willing to pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad