News Article: Rangers to play Islanders in Stadium Series - Feb 18th

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Cool, but also using the Flyers to carry a Devils home game at Metlife is bullshit. Rangers/Isles Winter Classic at Citi Field was the play, it couldnt be more obvious.

Reactions: CasusBelli

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Cool, but also using the Flyers to carry a Devils home game at Metlife is bullshit. Rangers/Isles Winter Classic at Citi Field was the play, it couldnt be more obvious.
Was just thinking it's been a while since the Rangers were in an outdoor game.

Lots of folks from Southern NJ will go up the turnpike to see the Flyers. I like it actually.

Agreed that Islanders-Rangers should be at Citi and not Metlife.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Was just thinking it's been a while since the Rangers were in an outdoor game.

Lots of folks from Southern NJ will go up the turnpike to see the Flyers. I like it actually.

I get that the Flyers fans will show up but its kind of a slap in the face to fans in the NY market. The Devils dont have the fanbase to fill Metlife so the Flyers get their annual outdoor game at our expense. Im almost surprised the league didnt pick Boston for it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Outdoor games are meaningless now. NHL took a good idea and ran it into the ground.
Did they? Every one of those games sells out. The NHL is making a ton of money off them. Would having them once every 5 years really make it better? Until people stop going to them, you really don't have an argument.

I'm glad it's at MetLife (even though MetLife sucks). Much easier for me to get to and I can tailgate.

From the league's perspective, MetLife is the better choice. It holds about 2 times as many people as Citi Field, and setting up an ice rink in 2 separate stadiums would cost twice as much.

Reactions: Modest Grouse

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The NHL will love the possibility of Quenneville coaching the Rangers on the national stage and having TNT bring up the Chicago situation during the broadcast. Is that the guy who protected a sexual predator? Isn’t that the guy who had a member of his staff invite team interns to his apartment and attempt to sexually assault them? That is him. He is coaching the Rangers now. Fantastic.

• Haha
Reactions: I Eat Crow

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The NHL will love the possibility of Quenneville coaching the Rangers on the national stage and having TNT bring up the Chicago situation during the broadcast. Is that the guy who protected a sexual predator? Isn’t that the guy who had a member of his staff invite team interns to his apartment and attempt to sexually assault them? That is him. He is coaching the Rangers now. Fantastic.

Laughing at the idea of Paul Miss the net or Anson Carter asking the tough questions. There's a reason Bettman and the NHL made TNT re-hire everyone from the NBC Sports Vanilla Factory

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The first few were cool but yeah I don't get the appeal anymore presonally. They must do good in the ratings though for the NHL to keep scheduling them.
I don't even think they do that well. I think around 1M. I guess that's good for the NHL though?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Outdoor games are meaningless now. NHL took a good idea and ran it into the ground.
They still sell a ton of tickets to these and probably clean up in sponsorship opportunities and the like. I know the ratings aren't what they were for the original few Winter Classics but I'm sure they still kill whatever regular weekend game they might throw on ABC that isn't played outside.

I mean me personally, I don't care much about them unless my team is playing, but I think it's hard to argue with the financial incentive for the league to keep putting them on.

EDIT: Here we go.

2023 NHL Stadium Series Sees Significant Viewership Increase
--The 2023 Stadium Series averaged 1.1M total viewers and is the most-viewed edition of the Stadium Series since 2019 (PIT/PHL)
--2023 Stadium Series is up +79% from last year’s Stadium Series (TB/NSH) and is up +13% from 202’s Stadium Series (LA/COL)
--Viewership for the game peaked with 1.5M total viewers and it is the second most-viewed game of the season across all networks
--This year’s Stadium Series was the most-watched regular season game of all time in the Raleigh market.

Definitely still a winner for the NHL.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ugh, another one of these? yawn

Last time I went to the Islanders/Rangers at Yankee stadium froze my ass off, my knees were literally locked in place from sitting, did not enjoy it. Yankee stadium also ran out of coffee and hot cocoa. Was like WTF? We left early.

Rather save my money for a game at MSG, still debating about buying another 10 game package or not.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Last time I went to the Islanders/Rangers at Yankee stadium froze my ass off, my knees were literally locked in place from sitting, did not enjoy it. Yankee stadium also ran out of coffee and hot cocoa. Was like WTF? We left early.

Rather save my money for a game at MSG, still debating about buying another 10 game package or not.
Not to mention most of the sight lines are brutal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not to mention most of the sight lines are brutal.

I've been to a couple of stadium series at Yankee Stadium, and went to the Rangers/Buffalo WC at Citi Field five years ago.

3 times is enough for me. Yeah, not only are you freezing but can hardly see the ice/players.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I've been to a couple of stadium series at Yankee Stadium, and went to the Rangers/Buffalo WC at Citi Field five years ago.

3 times is enough for me. Yeah, not only are you freezing but can hardly see the ice/players.
I went to the one in Philly a decade+ ago, one of the first ones they ever did. That was fun because it was so new, but yea I have absolutely zero interested freezing my ass off to barely see what is going on. Esp in a stadium filled with half Isles fans :laugh:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Can't wait to see which 90s alternative band they dig up for the side events.

I got one: Sixpence None the Richer.

Not related to Stephane Richer. --Sam

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Devils vs Flyers at MetLife? The NHL seriously thinks that's a good idea? The Flyers are dogshit and the Devils fanbase is not large enough to sell out a football stadium vs a team that's not even really a rival that they care about.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4